SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Coming back hat in hand... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/438778-coming-back-hat-hand.html)

argillaceous 05-23-2019 08:01 PM

Coming back hat in hand...

I think that's how the phrase goes, when someone returns humbly asking for a favor. That is me, now, nearly 7 months from my last post asking for a favor from the SR community. A sort of "would you take me back?" kind of thing.

Things were sort of OK, until, or course, they weren't. And things are getting worse, which scares the heck out of me. Which sends me back to the one place I first came where things were the worst ever. To a place that accepted and embraced and held and helped me.

I'm hoping I can return to that place now. Because I think, no—I know—I need SR now more than ever.

In thanks, Argi

Ghostlight1 05-23-2019 09:27 PM

Welcome back, of course you can come back. Some don't make it.
It's reciprocal, you need us and we need you.
You reminded me how close I am to my next drink, so you've helped someone already. And I've been sober over ten years but I'm one drink away from being in your shoes.
I know that because of how many times I tried and failed to quit drinking for any decent length of time.
Cunning, baffling and powerful is alcohol. Without help we have little chance of successfully quitting. And, it just so happens help is here.

I'm sorry it took things getting so worse for you to come back. Believe me, I've been there, Like a yo-yo I was sober for awhile, swearing it off. sincere promises, dumping it out, AA and coming here. Still I drank.
I don't know what my bottom is, because I reached such low points the only lower would have been living on the street, begging money for my next drink.
But I regress. This is about, and for, you.
Welcome back Argi .
Sorry you have a reason, but I'm glad you made it.

least 05-23-2019 09:42 PM

Welcome back. :grouphug:

Mummyto2 05-23-2019 09:56 PM

Welcome back 👍

Dee74 05-23-2019 10:09 PM

I remember that months and even years can go by astonishingly fast 'out there'.
Good to see you back Argi :)

D

Happyvale 05-24-2019 12:32 AM

Hmmm.... I think there is some saying out there "keep coming back". It's pretty good.

Hawkeye13 05-24-2019 05:30 AM

You are back Argi, which means you are still in the game for the win.

Glad to see you--we get it :grouphug:

bexxed 05-24-2019 05:32 AM

Welcome back.

Do you know what you need to do?

biminiblue 05-24-2019 05:33 AM

Sorry you decided to run that experiment.

We would have tried to talk you out of it, but hopefully you learned what you were supposed to learn and that is the fact that we cannot control it and the only way to win the fight with alcohol is to not get in the ring.

ImNotThatGuy 05-24-2019 06:04 AM

only way to win the fight with alcohol is to not get in the ring.
I love this!

Bobbieka 05-24-2019 08:21 AM

Glad you're here.

argillaceous 05-24-2019 03:55 PM

It's heartwarming to see both familiar names and new in response to my first tentative dipping of the toe back into the SR pond.

Ghostlight1, your 10 years is inspiring. To know others have fought this seemingly relentless battle and keep choosing life and light gives me hope. Thanks for posting. Mummyto2, I remember reading some of your struggles in the past but saw that you recently reached 60 days! I'm adding you to my inspiration list.

least, Dee, Hawkeye, and Bobbieka. Thanks to you all, who have supported me in the past, and whom took the time to welcome me back. It means a lot to me.

Happyvale, it seems like you may have just joined? Are you in the May group? I think joining one of the monthlies might be good. And I'll definitely stop by later tonight to see if any of my March 2017 ninjas are still around.

And biminiblue, how I have missed your sense of humor: "Sorry you decided to run that experiment." I chuckled at that, right before thinking, "yeah I'm sorry, too." Let's run some other, more fun experiments, shall we? Like ones where I wake up after having not drank and feel so relieved, and grateful and happy and alive and hopeful and ... well, you get the idea.

Tonight is my first night without alcohol in a long time. I always find the first night hardest. I don't think I'd being doing it for not having come back to SR last night.

Color me grateful.

Ghostlight1 05-24-2019 05:13 PM

Grateful is a good word. Count me in, too.
I did those ten years one day at a time. You can do it, too. I know you can, I have faith in you.
Best to you tonight in sobriety.

Hevyn 05-24-2019 06:23 PM

Hi Argi - I'm so glad you decided to come back to us.

Congratulations on your first night without. :) You're going to do this.