Notices

Stupid shirt

Old 05-25-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I’ve seen examples that were simply thoughtless jokes from people who don’t think things through. “Rehab is for quitters” on high school classmates when we were maybe 16. Just no concept of what they were saying and it seemed funny to an adolescent mind.

I’ve also seen people trying to convince themselves they didn’t have a serious problem and joking about it. Couple weeks back I went into a pub for lunch with coworkers and there was a guy sitting at the bar alone drinking the hard stuff. Shirt read “Shut up liver. You’re fine.” I can imagine he actually has liver pains and is in denial about just how much trouble he’s in if he doesn’t do some very hard work very soon.

I’ve also seen the inflammatory “I’m a jackass and think I’m upsetting people, but all I’m doing is showing the world I’m a jackass” shirts. Saw a shirt a couple months back that read something like “Vegetarian: Ancient word meaning village moron who can’t hunt, fish, and is too weak to raise cattle.” He was probably 350lbs and was breathing heavy from walking from a parking garage to the bottom of an escalator. He probably had a little of the second example going on as well.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Bexxed, your post made me laugh out loud. I honestly feel that would have been my reaction if what happened to you happened to me. It was funny! We can’t drink but some can & enjoy the relaxing, get out of your head effects. As others have so eloquently pointed out there are those that are in denial & a ticking time bomb. With my big mouth I get into situations like yours all the time so I guess I’m used to it but I just laugh.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
How did you neighbor react when you said the you were in recovery, too?
It was awkward. She looked confused and said something like, “oh, uh, no, uh, hehe, huh” and I on autopilot and embarrassed started fussing on her dog and then we said goodbye because we’d been walking in different directions.