Notices

Alcohol Addicted Brother

Old 05-23-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Addicted Brother

Hello, I am joining to seek help and advice for my older brothers addiction to alcohol. My brother is 38 years old. He has been living with my family (mom, dad, aunt, brother, and two sisters) for the majority of his life. He has two kids which he loves deeply. He has an on and off relationship with his child’s mom. He has lived on his own with his family but never seemed to work out, due to him being abusive to his spouse. So he is back at home with us. It has been a journey dealing with his addiction and hardships. He started drinking a very young age. I want to say in his early teens. Nowadays he drinks liquor, which is doing a lot of damage to his organs. He’s been hospitalized several times. Also has been in jail for a dui and assault on his spouse. He did rehab for 3 months but did not helped as he relapsed weeks later. Just recently he got off his bracelet which was detecting any sort of alcohol in his blood. But now that he’s off of it, he has relapsed and started drinking again. I want your guys input and any sort of advice in which could help my brother.
Thanks.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm sorry for your situation. I hope you brother chooses to stop drinking, but it will need to be his decision to live a sober life. There is little you can do to make him stop.

For yourself, you can check out AlAnon in your city as a support for you and your family. Also we have a forum for Friends & Families on this board which you might want to look at:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
Old 05-23-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm sorry to say that there's not much you can do to get your brother to stop drinking. He has to want that for himself. I would suggest you find support for yourself.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To be honest?
Give him an ultimatum. Stop drinking or leave and stay gone.

That sounds harsh, but that's my advice given the details you shared.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The only one that can stop an addict is the addict.

Until he is ready to quit he will do whatever it takes to stay high.

Being high on booze is not just the drunk period. It takes a few days for all of the chemicals in the body to start to normalize.

After that is when the crave ramps up.

Addiction causes permanent brain damage that makes folks regret relapse after decades of sobriety.

Depending on how many bridges have been burned is how much tolerance folks should have for the drunk.

I consider myself living on borrowed time. I was lucky to get this free.

Constant vigilance is my way forward. Temptation lurks routinely.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what brings you here warriors but you'll find a lot of support

I was in your brothers position for a long time. Unfortunately nothing made me stop til I was ready to stop

D
Old 05-23-2019, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Boy, that's rough, warriors. I'm sorry for your pain and hope it subsides somehow.

Maybe just let your brother know that you love him while he's still around.