Notices

Here we go again

Old 05-23-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi ImNotThatGuy...
For me...I truly believe their are a number of different ways one can skin a cat so to speak. Not to oversimplify - there are a lot of different methods, diets etc to achieve weight loss but I truly believe we all benefit from support in any sort of drastic lifestyle change. I have utilized AA in the past and although there are many things I appreciate or understand as being truly on point - there is enough I have issue with that at times have been counterproductive to my sobriety.

I wince to recall being in a meeting in my early 40's where I looked around and actually said to myself "I'd rather be a drunk than come to one more of these effing meetings". What I find sad in hindsight - is my thinking that there were only those two options. I too left that meeting and headed for the bar.

I think community is really cool....and I sincerely believe that can be found here.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ahhh... relief! Went to the gym yesterday evening. Muscles are a bit sore today from use, not from withdrawal. It feels so good! Physically, I feel better than I did before quitting. Still dealing with a bit of brain fog but that will lift soon.

My AV is strangely quiet, waiting for the right moment to say, "Come on, man, one drink won't kill you," but I know it would. Good thing I won't be picking up a drink!

Anybody out there in the first few days, please soldier on. There's no problem so bad that alcohol can't make it worse, and no occasion so festive that alcohol can't ruin it. I can see the rest of my sober life in front of me, and it looks so good! Today is Day One of actually feeling good.

I will not drink today or ever again.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hope you keep coming back here, too. It’s up to you.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

good job!!

And, one thing about sayings and slogans - from AA to anything else. I hate the use of The Beast. It just sounds combative and frustrating to me to phrase my alcoholism that way. I also can't stand the axiom "fake it til you make it" bc my mother would say it and often was "faking it" as in, in AA but still drinking on and off.

In other words, pick what works for you as mantras, refrains, whatever. I am a huge fan of "looking for the people who have what I want." In the rooms of AA, and everywhere in life. Along the way, I also heard the phrase that my alcoholism is a peculiar gift. Absolutely how I view it- the best thing that ever happened to me as it eventually led me to ownership of my part in my life, and where I simply can't do it alone, all starting with the ONE thing I cannot do: drink.

Dry drunk - personally, I love it because it is absolutely true. Lots of folks use different words to describe the person who just quits drinking and doesn't go further to change thoughts, treatment of others, openness to new ideas and so on. Which I believe are all huge for personal growth and living my best life.

What's my best life? What's yours? That's what I hope everyone works toward.

Keep going!!
Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I also have to add that no words or slogans actually drive people to leave a meeting or SR or away from AVRT or anything else, and drink. It's absolutely up to us.