Notices

What's The Point

Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Meh.
I'm a failed day trader too.
Worthless. Loser.

The only thing I look forward to is sleeping.
I wish I would have had the guts to actually buy a gun after the last binge; it's a way out.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

i think the point about the day trader post above is noone is successful that way?

Have you considered seeing your doctor about depression TWOTM?

Ar least bookmark this link, read a little into it and maybe use one of the numbers if you feel you need to talk to someone?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ease-read.html

I use to catastrophise . I would go to the worst case scenario and think that I was headed for that with no chance of escape.

The worst never ever happened.It was my fear feeding into my lack of self belief and my fatalism borne of many years drinking and bad luck and dreams shattered.

What your head is telling you may not always be true

You;re better off than you were a few weeks ago because you're sober.
You have a degree and you have the capacity to go for jobs and eventually, get one.

Try not to let yourself be swamped by despair - like I said, it's an old way of thinking that makes it easier for us to return to drinking.

Noones saying that the way forward is necessarily easy but it will be easier than where we've been

D
Old 05-21-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nope.
Doctors cost money, and guess what I don't have?

America doesn't care about the well-being of its citizens; all it cares about is corporate profit. We don't have healthcare for our people unless they're well off or they keep themselves below the poverty line to get Medicaid.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

TWOTM....all of this stuff feels hopeless when we start getting sober, in each of our own ways...I took a fast food job as my first one after I stopped drinking. Given my education and background, THAT was humbling. I had no idea where my path would go but I did know that I had to "go" there.

We can tell you our stories of how life is better, and finding ourselves in diff places than we planned or thought - but that might only partly help your valid feelings of despair that seem overwhelming. Totally get that. I had to take a leap of faith that I didn't want to die in short order and find out what was on the other side.

I love quotes and stuff about how those of us who get clean are warriors. It takes a tremendous grit to get sober. And for me, lots of help from my psych to AA to many "random" people....and action.

We are here to support and I def agree with the suggestions for IRL help. Insurance, no money, all those things are challenges but not insurmountable ones. I don't know where you live, but looking into sliding fee scale places, payment arrangements drs will do, the scary prospect of just asking for that stuff - it's worth it.

You can do this.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are in some drink-inspired depression--I know I always felt despair and self-loathing when drinking.

Things are very tough--I agree health care is a disaster in the U.S.--but getting sober is the first step to getting back to feeling better and moving forward.

It sucks when you are on the lowdown--I totally get that--but is isn't sustainable, especially if you don't have money to rebuild. Spending the little you have on booze is a poor investment.

I really feel for you--it is so hard looking up from the hole drinking helps us dig
Old 05-21-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's not technically a failure, unless you quit.

Even when you move on to something you're more suited for, your previous venture wouldn't be classified a failure, but merely a stepping stone.

I'm a part time day trader, and at the risk of tooting my own horn, I do finally profit more regularly than I initially did, after having my ass handed to me on a plate- countless times.

Money is one thing. Very important to have cash flow in the short term, yes. In the long term, my opinion (and only my opinion, mind you) is that one should pursue what they enjoy, what pulls them toward [not something that they're pushed onto], may even be an activity they may not essentially be skilled or 'good' at in the initial phase. It's all about the curiosity, really. Every tree came from a sapling.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks, Pippo.
Congratulations on being profitable.

To everyone,
As negative as I was this morning, I'm just trying to count my blessings, so to speak. I could be drinking, dead, unemployed, homeless. But I am none of those things.

Just the ups and downs of early sobriety.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Keeping sharing. We get it.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Why stay sober? Because when you leave the job you hate you come home to a calm, peaceful, healthy life. Trust me, my profession is way worse than engineering. I’d kill to be an engineer. My profession is known for driving people to drink, and facing daily disrespect. I’m too deep into student loan debt to go back and do something where I am respected as a human and professional. But when I get home, I have my puppies, my fridge has real food, I have a nice gym to workout in and release my anger. I have time off to travel, not far because my salary sucks but somewhere. I can take painting and photography classes, and then have the energy to go back in and deal with the burdens of society that are put in my care.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
To everyone,
As negative as I was this morning, I'm just trying to count my blessings, so to speak. I could be drinking, dead, unemployed, homeless. But I am none of those things.

Just the ups and downs of early sobriety.
No worries dude. I guess I'm just worried about you. People can make really quick decisions when they fall into deep depressions.

But yeah, keep posting, even if it's negative. We're all here to listen.

One day at a time, my friend.