Notices

Sneak AV attack

Old 05-18-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sneak AV attack

I am sick this weekend so pretty much staying in bed and watching TV. I was looking at the Netflix menu and saw the “Wine Country” movie. Some of my favorite actors are in that movie and I’ve heard great reviews. So I decided to watch the trailer....

Holy Crap did my AV kick in. I’m almost a year sober, have watched other movies where actors consume alcohol, have even gone out to a bar where friends are drinking and haven’t had that old familiar urge.

Just another reminder to me to constantly remain vigilant, and that the AV is always there, waiting to rear it’s ugly head.

And no, I didn’t watch the movie. Not worth the risk.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To me, your experience underscores that specific triggers are not triggers by themselves. They need you there, along with your current frame of mind, level of vulnerability, and past experiences.

One of my favorite wine movies is "Bottle Shock." The plot is intriguing, although some scenes and situations test the limits of my reality. I still like that movie, and never feel a trigger from it, although others will probably be affected differently by it.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I watched Wine Country in my first week of sobriety...and there was one particular scene where they were all standing around glass of wine in hand at start of movie that "tweaked me"....but I was fully expecting to be tweaked being newly sober so it was not so much of an issue. Unexpected cravings are a different beast all together I think.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made a choice for your recovery atlast

D
Old 05-19-2019, 12:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My friend told me about this film yesterday and said oh it’s really funny, I’m not watching it as I know my AV would start glamourising it in my head, instead last night I watched rain in my heart on you tube for the 100th time to remind myself it’s far from glamorous
Old 05-19-2019, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have actually never thought a movie as a trigger, but it makes sense. Good thing I hate wine or used to.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

108 days. I watched it (yes I am a male) and it just confirmed the reasons that I quit. They get drunk and say things they shouldn't and it all goes downhill from there. It is funny but a different funny for me now. More of a "I'm glad thats not me anymore". Good luck and keep up the good work.