Notices

Sos

Old 05-18-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sos

hi everyone,

sorry for the emergent thread but I’m at my mom’s where I used to drink all the time and I feel like I want to drink and I have the option to leave but I have to wait for my laundry.

I think I’ll be okay but it really feels like I could just drink for tonight l, but I know I’ll feel sick tomorrow for work and I’ve been doing so well but MAN is this a trigger. I just need to make it one hour until my clothes are dry. And unfortunately I can’t leave them here because my zoo uniform is in the dryer and I need that for tomorrow.

So anyway just reaching out. Will be checking back.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take a walk, read a magazine, make a sandwich. That drink will only send you back down the rabbit hole.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dpac

I dunno if it helps but whenever I had a win (like you did at the wedding last weekend) I'd be a little wobbly cos my Inner Addict would try and get me to confuse abstinence and control.

Don't engage with it. It has nothing you want and no good ideas.

Check out this link for some more ideas on dealing with cravings:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

you can do this If worse comes to worse leave and come pick up your laundry later?

D
Old 05-18-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
I know I’ll feel sick tomorrow for work
Yeah you will. Sometimes the sticks not the carrots help best. It ain't worth it pal.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi everyone,

sorry for the emergent thread but I’m at my mom’s where I used to drink all the time and I feel like I want to drink and I have the option to leave but I have to wait for my laundry.

I think I’ll be okay but it really feels like I could just drink for tonight l, but I know I’ll feel sick tomorrow for work and I’ve been doing so well but MAN is this a trigger. I just need to make it one hour until my clothes are dry. And unfortunately I can’t leave them here because my zoo uniform is in the dryer and I need that for tomorrow.

So anyway just reaching out. Will be checking back.

Positive thoughts.. Remind yourself how far you have came. From been at your mom's drinking and now look at you in the same house and not drinking . Yeah ur struggling but not drinking, well done you and I mean that.. Them triggers are just triggers, your determination and focus on your recovery will push you past them triggers... Well done x
Old 05-18-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes yes everything is going okay it just hit me really unexpectedly. saw that wine and was like - why not it’s just one night.

nah. I’ve been doing so well. The craving was really strong when I first got here but we were making pasta and food and I was like, slamming sparkling water like nobody’s business so it’s mostly passed but things have been really stressful bc of my grandmother (long story) so it’s okay I think but like, damn wow I legitimately considered throwing everything away for like an entire hour. ****.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done x
Old 05-18-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Apologies for emergent thread? From what I understand about this 'hood - you did exactly what I think you're supposed to. You reached out rather than "reached for". Well done I'd say. SR is a pretty big tool in the sobriety toolbox. Perhaps not the best time for a smartarse remark...but if anything can "trigger" us I'd bet visiting "family" would be right up there.

"Why not? Just one night..." - ya well, that slippery slope doesn't typically have a "stop" sign or a sobriety bouncer to catch ya and stand ya upright now does it? If we knew when to quit - would we be here? We're stronger with each test we pass..... sounds like you passed a big one tonight! Good on yq dpac414.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you, for reaching out for help.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're doing great dpac- leave as soon as you can, even if something is still a little damp!!

Keep posting.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great work resisting and posting here. Hope your laundry dries soon and you can head out.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Okay I am safely home and sober. Thank you for all of the support. I resisted and I will wake up tomorrow still refreshed.

I'm going to use this same thread in the future when I'm in a dire situation too.

Thank you again. This place truly is amazing.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job - and perhaps use this as what we were sharing about the possibility of a really provoking thing that is tough to handle....right after that success you had at another event. You can't control cravings or whatever, but it helped me to translate people's advice into literal action: ie don't go to a dinner where there is wine, and do laundry anywhere else.

I'll always say this- "no" is an acceptable answer to anything. Especially right now when you've been sharing the (totally normally!) ups and downs and struggles of early sobriety.

Take care and keep going! And btw when you PM me or someone, it pops up in my email so I can see if it's something I need to log on SR and respond to you ASAP!!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

dpak, how's your morning? I missed your distress signal last night.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you August. I think I probably got a little cocky and didn’t think it would affect me to the degree it did. But in hindsight I should have avoided this situation even more than the wedding, because it was so familiar and easy to fall back into the same routine. Now that I’m past the cravings, I am absolutely happy I didn’t drink. It also shows that I can avoid this in the future.

My morning has been fine, thanks for asking. I woke up and went to work like always and any thoughts of drinking are gone for now. I have my Wednesday and Friday meetings lined up as well.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Y'all.......I have had a craving that has literally lasted all day. I have been calmly acknowledging it and responding to it like you would a whiny child, but damn it's just sitting there and won't go away.

I won't drink today. I have a day off tomorrow and I don't want to ruin my peaceful morning with a hangover, but I'm just worried it won't leave me alone. The past few days have really been rough, with cravings coming more and more frequently with higher intensity.

I've been trying everything but I just don't know what else to do. I literally locked myself in my apartment and watched YouTube videos so I wouldn't leave. I didn't even trust myself to go to the grocery store.

This sucks. Any advice is appreciated, but not necessary. Just needed to vent.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Now would be a good time to practice gratitude. Right now, find at least one thing you're thankful for. No matter how small. It will bolster your sobriety and make you happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 05-26-2019, 07:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a day off tomorrow.
I don't know about you but when I knew I had the next day off work that was my excuse to drink as much as I wanted. It's still my hardest days. Unconscious thoughts. I'm just extra vigilant on those days.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bathbomb View Post
I don't know about you but when I knew I had the next day off work that was my excuse to drink as much as I wanted. It's still my hardest days. Unconscious thoughts. I'm just extra vigilant on those days.
Yeah, same. Maybe that's why it's hitting me. I've been trying to shout over the unconscious thoughts and habits and flip the script. I should not want to drink even more because I have the next day off and I want to enjoy it instead of feeling miserable. Just kinda....having a screaming match with myself.

It's 10:30 where I'm at so its quieted down a little, as there's no way to get alcohol on a sunday near me so my dumb brain seems to have given up. I guess I need to really strap in for tomorrow.

Least, I'm about to hop onto bedtime gratitude. I'm definitely grateful for SR tonight, but I'll focus on some other things too.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your brain has a tremendous amount of practice in saying ... "hell I need a drink - I think I'll have one!". Lotta wiring there. Gotta unravel and snip it eventually. Thinking that takes time - and unpracticing so to speak.