Notices

Low self esteem and confidence

Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Low self esteem and confidence

I've always suffered with low self esteem and confidence. From a young age 14 years old, I ended up on drugs and went into rehab.. Sober from drugs now 20 years.. Then without realising it fully, I eventually swapped one addiction to another with alcohol living life on lifes terms I guess.. My mother and father got terminally ill and so on..

Now I know I have to pick myself up and get my ass back into recovery. I've beat myself up so much over my addiction if that makes sense... Asked myself how the **** did I let myself get back here (detoxing) now I'm facing detoxing once again I'm frightened.. Has anyone detoxed at home and is it dangerous
Old 05-18-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have reached out for support.

Detoxing from alcohol can be unpredictable and dangerous, so it's always a good idea to talk to your dr, or go to an ER for medical support.

Don't waste energy beating yourself up. You're here now and ready to do this and that's what matters.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I detoxed at home many times with no apparent ill effects but the last time I suffered several mini strokes.

I recommend you see a Dr for detox.

As far as low self esteem and confidence - you'll be amazed what a little recovery time can do

D
Old 05-18-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouraging words. It's really appreciated
Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Dublin - it's great to have you with us.

I was shy and self-conscious too. I finally realized drinking just made it worse. Being here at SR helped me find the courage to change my life. Not feeling alone anymore meant the world. I didn't have anyone who really understood until I came here. I hope you'll keep reading & posting. We care.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dublin,

Alcohol abuse or dependence can also greatly exaggerate those feelings. It wrecks havoc on your brain chemistry and things can get very complicated if you something like a dual diagnosis (alcoholism + preexisting issue).

The best two things you can do for yourself are see a doctor and pursue recovery. There is a ton of support here. You can do it
Old 05-18-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Thankfully someone understands where I'm at.. I appreciate your help and advice x
Old 05-19-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dublin:
I've just a little over a week sober. I'm sure you will find there are plenty of folks around here who understand. My leap from dependency didn't really result into something that involved what I would describe as "detox" - but plenty around here have. I think it can be exceedingly difficult and depending on the level of physical dependence - it can be life threatening. I have a pretty good hunch that most substance abusers struggle very much with their own esteem.

Stick around.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just go to the DR to double check what is the best way to proceed.

And no worries, don't beat yourself up. You will be fine, you will be happy again. There's no other way to go but up!

Cheers
Old 05-19-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Never abuse your body invest everything and make every efforts to fix your body .Accept the past with no regrets ...Use tools like ,
1. Serenity prayers.
2.Visualization meditation and you feel and see you are having a complete sober life.Play the image of sober people ans successful life in the world.Think of the people who never drank !!!
3..Hypnotise yourself your are sober akready..
4. Make some positive affirmation .No need to be them big one .it might be as simple as the you have friends here to help you or you have sufficient water to drink .Play them in your mind.Our brain release the chemical what we want.Our body is our pharmacy .If we think positive our brain release the chemicals we need.
5.Create more gratitude list

Always think of good
Stay sober.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Never abuse your body invest everything and make every efforts to fix your body .Accept the past with no regrets ...Use tools like ,
1. Serenity prayers.
2.Visualization meditation and you feel and see you are having a complete sober life.Play the image of sober people ans successful life in the world.Think of the people who never drank !!!
3..Hypnotise yourself your are sober akready..
4. Make some positive affirmation .No need to be them big one .it might be as simple as the you have friends here to help you or you have sufficient water to drink .Play them in your mind.Our brain release the chemical what we want.Our body is our pharmacy .If we think positive our brain release the chemicals we need.
5.Create more gratitude list

Always think of good
Stay sober.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

See a doctor. I get the impression that it's hard to prejudge how serious detox might be for a person. Good luck with this.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I echo other posts - see a dr to help with detoxing.

As for confidence and self-esteem, that is a struggle I have as well. I am 41 years old and have just begun to gain confidence and self esteem. Quitting drinking helped immensely in this path.

My best advice: quit drinking and take the other stuff one day at a time. It will fall into place.