Success stories from chronic relapsers?

Old 05-18-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Success stories from chronic relapsers?

Just looking for a little hope
Old 05-18-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was the poster boy for chronic relapsers.
I tried to quit drinking for ten years. I'm sure that qualifies me for something. An idiot maybe. No kidding, ten years of my life spent trying to stop drinking.
Needless to say, I couldn't do it on my own. I went to AA. I came here. I worked on it.
It has now been over ten years since I've had a drink of alcohol.
There is hope. No matter how low we've sank. And I sank pretty damn low.
But I never stopped trying. I never gave up trying to quit. It took Divine intervention, but it worked.
You can do it, too.
Just never give up hope. I've been doing it one day at a time. That works for me.
I wish you the best.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a chronic relapser until I got sick and tired of always being sick and tired. I went to counseling once a week and came to SR every day to post and read. I now have over 9 yrs sober. Yes, it's possible.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aww i love it guys!! I feel incredibly terrible right now and really want this to be my last!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Imagine feeling that way every couple of days for ten years and you'll get an idea of what I went through.
I'm sorry you're feeling so incredibly terrible right now, but realize, you never have to feel this way again.
Best to you, and I hope it's the last time you feel this way. I really do. I know from what I speak.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The first post from this thread is part of my story (which includes chronic relapse in the beginning). I wish you all the best. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...xperience.html (Having had a spiritual experience)
Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had 13 months from August 2017 to September 2018. Sure, I relapsed, but I look at that as a time of success.

I also look at now as a time of success because I'm happier now than I've ever been; for no other reason than I've finally accepted and embraced the fact that I will never drink again. Not because I can't but because I don't want to
Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

5 times in detox and 3 times inpatient for 30 days or more. I think it finally stuck. I have 6 months sober and don't ever want to go back. I feel great.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CincyFin View Post
5 times in detox and 3 times inpatient for 30 days or more. I think it finally stuck. I have 6 months sober and don't ever want to go back. I feel great.
that is so freaking good to hear. I’ve been in the hospital too many times in the last cpl years.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried to quit for 15 years and every week I'd try again.

I often thought I'd never make it...but I never completely gave up.

In the end, the list of things I was prepared to do, and the list of things I was prepared to change to stay sober, got bigger and bigger...I found SR, used it daily, and I stayed sober

You can do it LLG

D
Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Another one right here. In a sense, and I mean this genuinely, chronically relapsing can also be seen as chronically sober. In other words, it demonstrates, at least to me, that a person is continually trying to remove themselves from the muck and the filth of a drunken life. There's something inside of them that drives them over and over to try and do the better thing, the right thing. I'm permanently sober, finally, and it's taken a long time to get here but I'm grateful each and every single day. Lots of examples on this website and elsewhere. You just need to work, make some sacrifices and life will unfold and all its peace, Beauty and freedom right in front of your eyes.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Another one right here. In a sense, and I mean this genuinely, chronically relapsing can also be seen as chronically sober. In other words, it demonstrates, at least to me, that a person is continually trying to remove themselves from the muck and the filth of a drunken life. There's something inside of them that drives them over and over to try and do the better thing, the right thing. I'm permanently sober, finally, and it's taken a long time to get here but I'm grateful each and every single day. Lots of examples on this website and elsewhere. You just need to work, make some sacrifices and life will unfold and all its peace, Beauty and freedom right in front of your eyes.
mmm beautiful words, felt like a warm reassuring hug 🤗
Old 05-19-2019, 02:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I joined this forum in 2012 and finally got sober in 2016.

I had a few years, then a few months, then I couldn’t manage a few weeks. Each relapse got harder to come back from...I thought I’d tried everything and I was absolutely at the lowest point in my life when I quit for the last time.

I had to do something that I hadn’t tried before, something radical to step out of the spiral I was in, and I went on a 12 step retreat.

It completely turned my life round and I believe that stepping out of my comfort zone like that saved my life.

Do whatever you need to. If you are in that relapse cycle you need to shake it up and do something that feels uncomfortable and a bit scary.

Good luck ❤️
Old 05-19-2019, 03:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes me. I've been trying for about ten years but the last three years I deteriorated massively and have been in hospital numerous times. It's very scary how progressive this thing is because I went from stopping and feeling awful, to stopping and massively fitting on not as much as I used to drink before.
Unfortunately it took me to cardiac arrest to stop and I feel so stupid that even after hospital and fits I would still pick up again.
Most of us relapse but I used that as an excuse to relapse I think!
I hope you have good family and friends because I have found that when I'm triggered, I go into auto pilot and before I know it I'm drinking. My SMART therapist said this can be stopped by talking to someone about what happened, whatever the trigger was. It is working for me, I just pick up the phone and I don't say I'm craving a drink, I take one step back and talk about what happened. Whether it was a major or minor thing or if I'm bored whatever stopping it before I go into auto pilot seems to be working for me.
And when everyone tells me 'you can do this' im allowing myself to believe them.
You can do it :-) xxx
Old 05-19-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

25+ years of chronic relapsing, but I finally surrendered to the fact that I can't drink safely. Now sober 8 years.

I did it, you can, too!!!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Chronic relapser here, especially for the last 3 years. For me, this time something clicked. Currently 9 + months sober. I honestly do not know what was the difference but I talk to my wife often about what I’ve learned from SR & am surprised at the reaction I get. It’s positive! She’s put up with my heavy drinking, especially over the last 14 years, & usually when I talk sobriety she rolls her eyes, but she thinks the difference this time is this site. I had read the recovery stories since July 2017 but started posting this year. Also, daily exercise is critical for me as it’s so incompatible with drinking & helps in so many ways not to relapse. But learning about the AV, HALT as one person mentioned, the bartender who sees people go from NA back to drinking, adjusting to inevitable downturns & resetting the plan, this is good stuff. Good luck on your journey. I am rooting for you.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I once heard a guy say that he picked up enough white chips to tile a bathroom floor before he got any substantial sober time.
Keep trying.....the next attempt may be when this thing takes hold.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-my-story.html (PhoenixJ- My Story)

Each relapse, even after my above story for a few months- got worse and I was literally dying of malnutrition

My support and prayers to you.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I joined this site when it first occurred to me that I was probably an alcoholic. That was summer of 2011. I finally got sober five years later. I hope it doesn’t take you that long. But, I guess I qualify.

Although now in retrospect I don’t think I was relapsing over those five years, where I probably cumulatively had (liberally) 4-6 months sober; I think of it as periodic drinking lapses. I wasn’t putting in the real work to get to sobriety so I wasn’t relapsing when I went back out.

Semantics? Maybe. Point is, getting sober is hard. I understand. I also understand that it can be done. The longest dry spell I had was a month. Now I’m a few months away from three years, with a totally changed and much more meaningful life. Don’t wait as long as I did!
Old 05-20-2019, 01:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

btw- enough was enough in the last miserable days of drinking...now 3 anda bit years sober.