Notices

Newcomer itchy skin

Old 05-18-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer itchy skin

I'm experiencing itchy skin 3 days off alcohol. Is this normal and how long does it last
Old 05-18-2019, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’ve had that for ages, doctor couldn’t find a problem, hopefully won’t last too long
Old 05-18-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
I’ve had that for ages, doctor couldn’t find a problem, hopefully won’t last too long
Thanks so much x
​​
Old 05-18-2019, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had this before and it lasted a couple of weeks, off and on. I did a Google search and found a couple of threads here at SR where other posters also had the same problem.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ithdrawal.html (Has anyone else experienced itching with alcohol withdrawal?)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-sometime.html (Itchy skin after drinking alcohol for quite sometime)

Strangely enough, reading about people feeling itchy has just made me... feel itchy!
Old 05-18-2019, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some people get that but I never did - hope you find it eases soon Dublin - welcome to SR
Old 05-18-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

It’s a very common problem whilst both in active alcoholism and in early recovery so I wouldn’t worry too much, however if it is distressing you always best to get a dr’s opinion just in case it’s not a standard symptom of early sobriety. xx
Old 05-18-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had this problem too, because I wasn't drinking enough water! Try to hydrate a little more and apply lotion after each shower. I felt better in a week, hope this helps!
Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's common to feel itchy in early recovery. If it doesn't stop after a while, maybe see your doctor.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

it goes away. I had it early on in recovery
Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Try to hydrate a little more and apply lotion after each shower.
For heaven's sakes.... Silence of the Lambs has forever ruined the word "lotion" for me... "it rubs the lotion on its skin and it does so whenever its told". Sorry Wildflower... I'm sure it's excellent advice.

Dublin I'm sorry you're struggling with such an irritating withdrawal symptom but based on these responses - it's not at all uncommon.

3 days off alcohol is awesome ....really really awesome
Old 05-18-2019, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys your support and advice is really appreciated x
Old 05-19-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

toxins leaving your body, you will get over this, but your body and mind need to help out here......give time time and keep healing!!
Old 05-19-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would get that. Sometimes really bad after a heavy few nights. Would usually pop up a few days after. Face would feel like I had tiny little hairs in every pore (especially nose and cheeks) that were being blown on by a breaze. Best way I can describe it. Arms sometimes too, and also a deep down itching in my heels that just couldn't be satisfied.

It would go away after a couple-three weeks if I abstained. But a night or two of heavy drinking, and it would be right back.

Only cure for it years ago was a lengthy period of being alcohol free (months, years).

I was rid of it for many years, even after I picked back up drinking in moderation. Then my drinking got too heavy again after about 10 years of near abstinence (maybe a few drinks a year), and about 5 more years of light to moderate drinking. Then two years of over indulging, and it was back.

Used to terify me because, well, ya Google itching and drinking, and you're right into cirhossis and liver failure! But I wasn't. I had "mildly fatty liver".

My thought it is toxins built up, and when the liver is swollen and also during abstentiin when it starts losing fat, it starts to release those toxins (or is unable to process them effectively), and the itching starts.

Never had a bad blood test (and I tested often), and just mildly fatty liver found with CT or MRI (don't remember which). Buy zowee, the itching made me a believer that it was time to knock it off. And I did, for about 15 years, but found my way back. When I can feel the first little nag in the liver area, the itching won't be far behind.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had super itchy palms and soles of my feet also a weird tingly feeling. It felt like nerves going haywire. It lasted a few days then disappeared as quickly as it came. That was a few days into my sober journey. Hope you're feeling better.