Notices

Watershed moment

Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Watershed moment

Hi everyone sorry I've not been here for ages, I've been a complete nightmare. I've been detoxed in hospital every month this year and have started to fit almost as soon as I stop drinking now.
Two weeks ago my daughter popped in to get her coat and found me covered in vomit and urine soaked fitting on the sofa. She called an ambulance and I went to ED. I had stopped fitting so they put me in a cubicle with no monitoring and treated me like the alcoholic I am, lots of eye rolling my daughter said.
Luckily she stayed with me because I went into cardiac arrest and she ran out screaming for help. I was tubed put into icu and my entire family were called in.
I always knew withdrawals were lethal but I just thought they die of fitting (even though I had started and even that wasn't enough for me to stop) but my dr said it's usually cardiac arrest.
So this happened to me and my daughter saved my life twice. This is the end of the road for me now - either I stop drinking and live, drink stop withdraw and die quickly, or keep drinking and die slowly and lose my family and home.
So I'm going for the first option! I'm 11 days clean now.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

BIG Congrats on 11 days, daisy1!! The first option is definitely the way to go. It sounds like you were very fortunate to have your daughter by your side when you were at your worst. Best wishes to you moving forward with your recovery.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

💖 I wish you love strength and hope. You can do this xx
Old 05-16-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad you survived that ordeal, daisy :o
Good work on day 11. I sincerely hope you have the strength to make that the last time your family sees you in that condition.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Glad you posted because as an addict for life I tend to crave a drink now and then.

The...treating you like an alcoholic part...was refreshing.

Back in 2014 I went to the emergency room via ambulance because I started to collapse. I never went out, but I did take a knee. The right side of my face went numb for a short time.

They stuck an iv in me and ran some tests. They held me for about 12 hours. I later figured they were waiting to see if i would go into a frenzy because I needed booze. They may have 5150'd me if I did.

Insurance payed $8,000. I was given a clean bill of health and told I probably had a panic attack. I told the Dr. I drank a few drinks now and then. Nothing more was mentioned about booze. That should have been the Dr's main point...not that I was ready to listen yet.

At the time I was drinking about 500 ml of hard stuff a day.

I think I took about a month off that time and then back to drinking for another year before I finally decided/learned enough was enough.

The mental and physical damage were/are deep. I suffer still a bit everyday, but I am liberated from booze for the most part.

I suffered hell on earth, off and on, for well over 2 years before I began to break free from addictions strong hold.

Taking prescriptions would have drug out my healing. I made it out drug free minus occasional OTC things like vitamins.

The only way out for me was to suffer. The ptsd from that suffering helps keep me clean today.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you are ok. Congrats on day 11. Glad you are here.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Please stay committed to being sober. That must have been awful for your daughter to witness. That's no way to go out for you. There is so much more for you to enjoy in life.
Wishing you massive strength and success on your journey.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh Daisy, so sorry to hear how horribly ill you have been. Your lucky to be alive.

Brilliant to hear you are now 11 days sober.

I hope you stay around and get support from this community.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're ok Daisy.

Take this second chance and run with it

D
Old 05-16-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just keep going on this path Daisy.

You can do it.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. The whole family is in shock about it and we are all too upset to really talk it through at the moment. I'm shocked at what has happened and what could have happened but I was not aware of any of it, whereas my daughter witnessed it all. She refused to leave when I was being resuscitated and now she says every time she closes her eyes she's sees my face when I stopped breathing.
I can't begin to describe how I feel about doing that to her, but if she hadn't have been with me she would have no mum now. She is having counselling but she can't even talk about it yet.
None of us have cried or anything it's too massive if that makes sense.
I had been doing all the right things, attending groups and seeing my keyworker regularly. Now we are really focusing on triggers and possible deep seated reasons why I keep relapsing. So I am being very well looked after and have a plan. My keyworker said if this doesn't seem enough she will put me forward for proper rehab (it's very difficult to get this in the UK unless you have thousands of pounds).
I need to go on here every day too. Thanks again xx
Old 05-16-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So glad you are doing better daisy
Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It must have been terrifying, daisy. Thanks for letting us know. You never have to go back to that empty, uncertain life. Congratulations on 11 days clean.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Daisy, I am glad you are okay.
Take heed of this idiot (me).
I kissed death 3 times (burns) because of booze, but even that was not enough to stop me drinking. I am sober now, 3y- but I just did not take even that episode seriously.
Prayers and support to you.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you are ok Daisy. Please stay here with us!
Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Daisy, I'm glad to know that you got through that and are okay. Congratulations on 11 days of sobriety.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Gosh Daisy...that is quite a scary page out of life hey. Congratulations on your 11 days - that's wonderful and a chunk of time to be darn proud of. Keep on doing the things to moor you to your sobriety. Really glad you're here.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you made the best decision in the world for people like us. Gee, I thought I was a hard head.....joking with ya, Daisy, but seriously, stick with us here and stay sober, the ride is worth it!!!