SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Drinking dreams@ 6 months sober. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/438609-drinking-dreams-6-months-sober.html)

SnoozyQ 05-16-2019 10:09 AM

Drinking dreams@ 6 months sober.

I had one of those dreaded drinking dreams last night.
Looking everywhere for hidden bottles, they were empty.
The desperation of needing a drink. Finding one & guzzling.

I actually felt like I was hungover when I woke, minus the nausea.

It was exhausting. I’m glad that part of my life is over. Sobriety is awesome

Just had to share xx

Jeni26 05-16-2019 10:16 AM

Hi ❤️

I haven’t had one for a while, but they really are unsettling aren’t they? The paranoia and guilt...I imagine having to tell my friends on here that I’ve failed again and feeling so despondent.

Only a dream though, tuck it away.

6 months is awesome...so proud of you ❤️❤️❤️ Xxx

MindfulMan 05-16-2019 11:22 AM

I had one recently. Hadn't in a long time, it was quite disturbing.

I think it needed to be looked at, it was a warning from my subconscious. Not about drinking, but about another behavior.

least 05-16-2019 11:24 AM

I had a drinking dream a while ago. It scared me cause in the dream I was trying to hide my drinking. :( I was glad to wake up and realize it was just a dream.

WhoDeyPI 05-16-2019 11:25 AM

Oh they're the worst! They feel so real and then I wake up feeling guilty before realizing it was just a dream.

Pippo 05-16-2019 11:30 AM

That sounds scary, omg. I've never had one. Hope it stays that way.

August252015 05-16-2019 11:41 AM

Well, darn, now I'll have one!

Kidding! They can be terrifying- I remember every detail of one I had in early sobriety - here at 1179 days. The jolt out of my sleep and just KNOWING that I would walk into the kitchen/living area to find the detritus of a night full of vodka was truly terrifying.

I'll say, tho....along the way, much like my dreams about not-drinking, I've had ones where some truths and some falses were involved....like my sister and I were drinking Corona at the Master's golf tournament. I don't have a sister, I've been to the Master's and I rarely drank Corona.

I like what MM said about checking the subconscious- I know that early on, like 6 mo, I definitely had so much that was processing in my brain. Glad you are telling us about it!!

(PS Heyyy Jeni!!)

tekink 05-16-2019 03:04 PM

I had one about a month ago and haven't drank in two years. When I have one I pick up a drink and drink it then suddenly realize I gave up drinking and start to freak out and wake up out of it.

Dee74 05-16-2019 03:51 PM

Haven't had one in ages but yeah they are hyper real.

I often say I used to dream a lot of high school but I never wanted to go back there :)

6 months is awesome Snooz
D

August252015 05-16-2019 04:05 PM

Ha! Dee, that made me laugh given how twisted up in my head I was over my 25th reunion 2 wks ago :lmao

mariposa 05-16-2019 04:11 PM

I had one two nights ago and woke so grateful that I was sober and it was just a dream. I’m not sure what all happened in the nightmare but I know I did something horrible due to drinking and I woke with so much guilt and fear, then so much relief and peace.

tomls 05-16-2019 04:21 PM

It is rare that I don't dream. Mostly about the railroad job that I had for 33 years. A lot of my dreams contain alcohol or drugs. Sometimes I purchase some and struggle with drinking it or using it or not. So thankful to wake up still clean and sober!

wehav2day 05-16-2019 04:48 PM

Snooz, congrats on 6 months that’s awesome!!!

Drinking dreams used to freak me out, I’d be hyper vigilant for days after because I feared they meant I’d relapse. Nah. Dropping the ball on recovery is the only thing that can make me relapse. It’s not preordained.

I do t like them, they’re still disconcerting. But we wake up sober.

I’ve had some increased responsibility at work, and it’s also a really busy time. I’ve had a rash of drinking dreams in the last month or so.

I think drinking dreams are now my “out of control” dreams. So instead of not being done with college after all, or having a big public speaking thing only to realize I’m naked, or having all my teeth fall out, it’s drinking.

sydneyman 05-17-2019 12:26 PM

The weird thing is that now I decline drinks in my dream!!!

DriGuy 05-18-2019 07:24 AM

Ahh, the drinking dream strikes again. Talk about a visceral experience!

DriGuy 05-18-2019 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by sydneyman (Post 7186741)
The weird thing is that now I decline drinks in my dream!!!

I haven't had that one yet, but it sounds better than the "how did this happen to me again" format that seems to be the usual plot line for most of our drinking dreams.

SnoozyQ 05-18-2019 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by wehav2day (Post 7186278)
Snooz, congrats on 6 months that’s awesome!!!

Drinking dreams used to freak me out, I’d be hyper vigilant for days after because I feared they meant I’d relapse. Nah. Dropping the ball on recovery is the only thing that can make me relapse. It’s not preordained.

I do t like them, they’re still disconcerting. But we wake up sober.

I’ve had some increased responsibility at work, and it’s also a really busy time. I’ve had a rash of drinking dreams in the last month or so.

I think drinking dreams are now my “out of control” dreams. So instead of not being done with college after all, or having a big public speaking thing only to realize I’m naked, or having all my teeth fall out, it’s drinking.

This ! Haha ,

Thank Wehav, I’m glad I’m not the only one who has teeth falling out dreams and nakedly exposed dreams in public, I almost wrote pubic, but that would have been a Freudian slip.

It’s amazing how common these dreams are, it keeps us in check I spose ;-) and there is that relief upon waking, that it was only a dream.

:grouphug:

PhoenixJ 05-18-2019 09:27 PM

I get those,, drinking dreams suck..well done on the recovery time, Snooz.

Samson1 05-19-2019 04:20 AM

OMG. Thank you Snoozyq. I have a drinking dream almost everynight and I thought it was just me. I've never heard of them mentioned on hear before. Mine is I drink (I'm on Antabuse) and nothing happens to me I just get drunk. I hope they go away but it does feel good to wake up and know your just another day sober. Thanks again SnoozyQ.

ThatWasTheOldMe 05-19-2019 06:40 AM

When I was on my 13 month sober stint, I had those a few times. One time, I woke up and thought I had relapsed for like 5 minutes, then realized it was just a dream.