Notices

183 days sober and couldnt be happier

Old 05-10-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

183 days sober and couldnt be happier

Just a quick accountability check in.. Life is good 10/10 and feel fantastic. My lull at 100 days is totally gone. I was questioning the whole AF journey why keep going, what's the point..I just kept going. I am glad I did.
On another sobriety forum that I am on so many make it to day 4-5 and then start drinking and do this all over again. They never get past the hardest part and think sobriety is going to be this bloody hard. Well it isn't the good bits are just a bit further down the track.
My life has completely transformed and turned around. I went for a job interview on Friday that I have been stressing over for over 2 weeks. The chances of getting this is very very minimal as there are over 6000 applicants for less than 300 positions. Making it to an interview was a victory in itself. When I walked out of the half day interview assessment centre. My first thought was " I really need a drink, like right now". I didn't hold onto the thought I recognised it, I knew it would pass so kept on walking past a couple of bars and to the train station. By the time I got home I was fine. I can almost guarantee that would I have been on day 4-5 I would definitely be sitting in a bar somewhere right now drinking over my hangover.
Waking up on Saturday morning hangover free instead was fantastic.
So what I am trying to say is that people need to have a bit of resilience and not give in so easily. I know it is not easy but just fight it sometimes, persevere and it will pass. It easier to not drink than quit drinking!
Old 05-10-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear you doing so well sydneyman

D
Old 05-10-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent! And uplifting and great news for newcomers, so thank you.
Keep it up, hard to believe, but it gets even better.
Best to you in sobriety.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I needed this. Thank you sydneyman!

Also, well done on 183 days and getting the interview x
Old 05-10-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Six months sober!! Well done! And you are so right that it gets better. I used to be trapped in a cycle of drinking the third or fourth or fifth day of w/d cause I couldn't stand the anxiety. It was only when I got thru the worst part that I knew it was getting better. So many times I didn't give sobriety a good chance.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Excellent! And uplifting and great news for newcomers, so thank you.
Keep it up, hard to believe, but it gets even better.
Best to you in sobriety.
Can it even get better!!! How orgasmic....thanks
Old 05-10-2019, 11:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Glad to hear you're doing well!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations sydneyman 😀

I’m right behind you with 130 days. I’d imagine your daily urge to drink must now be minimal if not existent? But there will be the stressful times such as your job interview so well done for holding out.

It’s so much easier to really quit. Trying to cut down or having “just the one” after a few days makes it way way harder.

Well done again.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Congratulations sydneyman 😀

I’m right behind you with 130 days. I’d imagine your daily urge to drink must now be minimal if not existent? But there will be the stressful times such as your job interview so well done for holding out.

It’s so much easier to really quit. Trying to cut down or having “just the one” after a few days makes it way way harder.

Well done again.
Hodd its non existent. If I would live on a planet with no booze that would be perfect. Its just the constant reminders pushed in your face that reminds you that alcohol is part of that particular "occasion" which seems to be every occasion. Then I have to justify why I don't drink and then I start thinking about it more. I have had LOTS of stressful situations over the last 6 months but every time I concur one I just get stronger. As times go by I have learnt to deal with the emotions and feelings a lot more. I say to myself " Is that worth a drink" Nah,,,dont want to feel like crap and for the cycle to start again. I am totally committed to an AF life. Once I did that it is uncomplicated. I am a non drinker that's the only difference between my friends and the person drinking. Hope that made sense.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Makes perfect sense.

Those first few days are tough. I started wondering if that powerful urge would come every evening, but even then it passed after a matter of minutes. Like you, I get no urge at all now to drink on a normal evening.

Sounds like you’re doing great, inspirational stuff.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fantastic well done 👍