Notices

Emotional Wreck

Old 05-09-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional Wreck

That's me. I get up every morning and put my fake face on just to get through the day. I'm constantly on the verge of tears I even swore at my skirt yesterday! I posted a snappy post the other day to a fellow SR member and feel terrible (I'm sorry Sweetichick) so now I don't trust myself on here. I have a very short fuse at the moment and that's not like me. When I gave up smoking I was so proud and wanted to shout it from the rooftops but with alcohol I can't get passed the shame and embarrassment I feel. I know I need to talk to someone and for me that someone is my sister. I had the perfect opportunity during the week but I didn't know how to start the conversation. She's a fixer so I know she'll just want to fix me but her heart's in the right place. Since day 1 I kept a journal. I got it out the other day at work for a quick read and then thought this is BS and shredded the whole thing. It's gone. I know some have probably been here and it's just part of the process I appreciate that it's just I can't stop the internal conflict and beating myself up, it's exhausting. I should be proud of myself but I'm not. My marriage is all but over. We're going to counselling on Monday. We've been before our marriage problems run much deeper than alcohol. The only problem is I suck at therapy. As soon as I walk in the room my mind goes blank and all I can remember is the last 24 hrs where as my husband is in his element. I end up kicking myself the whole way home and for me nothing is resolved. It was my husband's idea so I'll go otherwise I'm accused of not making an effort. Last night I was getting dinner ready and my son was doing his homework I took a sip of my drink, ginger ale, my son looked at my drink then looked at me and smiled. I smiled back. My heart broke and melted at the same time. Such a powerful moment with not a word spoken. I'm rambling, sorry this post is all over the place but so am I. I know I'm on the right track there's just a lot of debris on this track.
Day 33 with no desire to drink.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m sorry I don’t have much advice, but I understand. I’m day 39 and crying in my dark bedroom, been crying for an hour. My marriage is over as well. All we can do is get through this hell of emotions and hopefully to the other side. Stay strong, for your smiling son.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you're both okay Bathbomb and mariposa.

My sister is the person who I confide in too. I was hesitant about doing so, and although I know our circumstances are different, for me it helped a great deal. I bottle things up but just being honest with someone about how bloody awful things can be sometimes is a big relief. Also, the moment with your son does sound very powerful and touching.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bathbomb, when I was at 33 of sobriety, I was much like you are. I had so many negative feelings I could barely cope. I felt overwhelmed with shame and guilt and I was angry at myself. Believe me, you can get past this. It's so hard to have patience and hang in there, but things will get better.

Do something nice for yourself. Be kind to yourself. And, be proud of what you're accomplishing with your sobriety. The smile from your son should keep you focused and motivated.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A month sober is great, but still early in recovery. Your emotions will be up and down for a while. Stay sober and it will get better.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
I’m sorry I don’t have much advice, but I understand. I’m day 39 and crying in my dark bedroom, been crying for an hour. My marriage is over as well. All we can do is get through this hell of emotions and hopefully to the other side. Stay strong, for your smiling son.
Sometimes we don't need advice just someone who understands so I thank you for that and I'm sorry you're so sad. This feeling can't last forever so together we will hang in there. XO
Old 05-09-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
A month sober is great, but still early in recovery. Your emotions will be up and down for a while. Stay sober and it will get better.
Thank you. I started my gratitude list which I stupidly shredded along with my journal but I was struggling to 'get' it. I have alot to be grateful for but I don't know how to feel it. I've tried meditating but I end up thinking about housework.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GrayJ View Post
I hope you're both okay Bathbomb and mariposa.

My sister is the person who I confide in too. I was hesitant about doing so, and although I know our circumstances are different, for me it helped a great deal. I bottle things up but just being honest with someone about how bloody awful things can be sometimes is a big relief. Also, the moment with your son does sound very powerful and touching.
I bottle things up too. It can cause so much resentment yet I still do it. I'll be seeing my sister tomorrow so hopefully I find the courage between now and then. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What an absolutely beautiful moment with your son.

I can tell you as a child whose parents had both marital and drinking issues, you are doing the right thing by resolving both. Whatever the outcome.

Good for you.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As rants go...that was a great one! I'm only on day 2 but I've travelled sober road before and know its not easy. This morning I had an all out conniption (a term my mother liked to use) at work. My superior...which is an elected seat...it a total moron who hinders the organization more than helps. I do his job and my own....and this morning I seriously wanted to kick the sh*t out of him. I was so angry it was hard to calm down. I thought....is this freaking withdrawal? This inability to temper my own emotion? I certainly have no wisdom but I admire how well you articulate what you're feeling. I hope that doesn't sound weird. At this stage, I guess I feel still emotionally constipated...I'm either sucking it up or ready to explode in a heartbeat.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BB, sometimes talking to someone outside close fam/friends helps- meetings are ideal for this. Prayers and support to you.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Bathbomb, when I was at 33 of sobriety, I was much like you are. I had so many negative feelings I could barely cope. I felt overwhelmed with shame and guilt and I was angry at myself. Believe me, you can get past this. It's so hard to have patience and hang in there, but things will get better.

Do something nice for yourself. Be kind to yourself. And, be proud of what you're accomplishing with your sobriety. The smile from your son should keep you focused and motivated.
Thanks Anna. My son's smile certainly does keep me motivated.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
BB, sometimes talking to someone outside close fam/friends helps- meetings are ideal for this. Prayers and support to you.
Thanks PhoenixJ. Meetings are held 4 doors down from my sisters place so I have absolutely no excuses not to attend except I am terrified. I can barely go buy groceries alone these days. My anxiety is getting better and these meetings do cross my mind occasionally. I just can't do it.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
What an absolutely beautiful moment with your son.

I can tell you as a child whose parents had both marital and drinking issues, you are doing the right thing by resolving both. Whatever the outcome.

Good for you.
Thanks kinzoku. It does make me sad when I think how the kids will look back on their childhood and that is something I will always regret. Never in a million years did I think my life would turn out like this.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Happyvale View Post
As rants go...that was a great one! I'm only on day 2 but I've travelled sober road before and know its not easy. This morning I had an all out conniption (a term my mother liked to use) at work. My superior...which is an elected seat...it a total moron who hinders the organization more than helps. I do his job and my own....and this morning I seriously wanted to kick the sh*t out of him. I was so angry it was hard to calm down. I thought....is this freaking withdrawal? This inability to temper my own emotion? I certainly have no wisdom but I admire how well you articulate what you're feeling. I hope that doesn't sound weird. At this stage, I guess I feel still emotionally constipated...I'm either sucking it up or ready to explode in a heartbeat.
Thanks I gotta admit I felt better just by getting it all out. Sorry to hear you had a conniption (had to google it). Oprah once said make your passion your job. Most annoying saying ever. The world would grind to a halt if that happened. Good in theory Oprah but not always possible. We will continue to suck it up. Hope tomorrow's a better day for you.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

BB - I was a wreck at 33 days too. My emotions were all over the place and I was so done with my marriage too. I’m currently almost a year sober, attend marriage counseling with my husband, and have a very different frame of mind these days. We both came to realize we are invested in our marriage and both of us are working on our issues: his drinking as well as all the underlying issues.

I’m like you with the counseling thing: it’s hard for me to talk, I forget things, I bottle up the problems, etc. luckily, we found a counselor that is really good and I trust him and I’ve been able to open up. This is the 4th counselor we have seen and the only one who has helped us.

My long rambling response is to say you are doing well, your emotions are part of the process. Hang in there.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

A month sober is great, and it's completely normal and expected for your emotions to be all over the place. Mine were at about that time - I was happy and almost elated one minute, and then unbearably sad the next, it seemed. Lots of stuff going on in both your body and brain right now, and it will take some time for things to settle down.

It might take sometime to find the right counselor for you as well. And for you to feel comfortable and clear enough to articulate your feelings - or heck, to even know what they are. I had a dear friend ask me in early sobriety how I felt about something important and I honestly couldn't answer. I was so used to not feeling my feelings accurately that it took some time for me to be able to identify them.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
BB - I was a wreck at 33 days too. My emotions were all over the place and I was so done with my marriage too. I’m currently almost a year sober, attend marriage counseling with my husband, and have a very different frame of mind these days. We both came to realize we are invested in our marriage and both of us are working on our issues: his drinking as well as all the underlying issues.

I’m like you with the counseling thing: it’s hard for me to talk, I forget things, I bottle up the problems, etc. luckily, we found a counselor that is really good and I trust him and I’ve been able to open up. This is the 4th counselor we have seen and the only one who has helped us.

My long rambling response is to say you are doing well, your emotions are part of the process. Hang in there.
Thank you Atlas. I'm really glad things are working out for you. We're on to our 2nd counsellor and I really like her it's just me who makes it awkward. I've changed alot lately. It's like I've sat in the corner for my whole marriage. Yes husband, no husband, whatever you say husband. I've neglected my morals and values and at 45 I've finally found my voice. Throw giving up the drink in the mix and you get one messed up woman.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bathbomb View Post
I've neglected my morals and values and at 45 I've finally found my voice.
Me too, only difference is I’m 41. It’s a struggle on the marriage when the non-vocal spouse gets her voice back.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
A month sober is great, and it's completely normal and expected for your emotions to be all over the place. Mine were at about that time - I was happy and almost elated one minute, and then unbearably sad the next, it seemed. Lots of stuff going on in both your body and brain right now, and it will take some time for things to settle down.

It might take sometime to find the right counselor for you as well. And for you to feel comfortable and clear enough to articulate your feelings - or heck, to even know what they are. I had a dear friend ask me in early sobriety how I felt about something important and I honestly couldn't answer. I was so used to not feeling my feelings accurately that it took some time for me to be able to identify them.
Thank you. I agree about finding the right Counsellor. I think we have. We saw her last in January but alot has happened since then. Like you said I think I'm just starting to feel my feelings. Probably not in the right frame of mind to be throwing my marriage away but things need to change.