Notices

Two years today

Old 05-09-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
quat

2yrs and over a billion miles around the sun, congrats,MM!!
Old 05-10-2019, 12:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Way to go MM.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow 2 years! That's fantastic MM....Congrats!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

From your time and your posts, it's clear that you have put a lot of work into your new life, MM, and that is awesome.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratulations MM! And thanks for all of your contributions here on SR.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Many congratulations and thank you for sharing your story. Your post will inspire many, including myself. Xx
Old 05-10-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congrats MM! As you said to me once, and I wholeheartedly agree, “Ain’t sobriety grand?”

-bora
Old 05-10-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mindful Man!!
Old 05-10-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 successful years of sobriety and recovery.

Your posts on our various threads have been an invaluable addition to SR.

Who would have thought that there was such a wonderful life on the other side.

It was ours for the asking.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well done MindfulMan! I hope I don’t sound like I’m romanticizing the issue, but like you my drink of choice used to be wine.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well done, MM!
Old 06-09-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I can't believe it's already been two years. I'm posting this in the Newcomers section so that those new to sobriety or struggling with addiction have a story that ends well. And I'm not alone in having a successful sobriety story, both here and in life in general.

May 9, 2017. I vaguely remember downing a bottle of Pinot Noir and having my roommate drive me to rehab.

It was the end of a two month binge of drinking 5-8 bottles of wine a day around the clock, on top of prescription sleep medication/weed edibles/OTC sleep meds. I couldn't leave the house without a few shots of vodka in my pocket so I didn't get caught away from the house in withdrawal. My primary care physician refused to treat me any more until I'd had a psych consult with a dual diagnosis clinic (mood disorder and substance use disorder). After my intake with an intern (it's a teaching program), the clinician came in. She told me they only had one treatment recommendation. Medical detox and at least 30 days in inpatient rehab. If I didn't do so, she said I'd be dead within six months. I left and sucked down a few shots of vodka because I was shaking so bad I was having trouble walking. Had a half bottle of wine when I got home, and when I looked in the mirror, the shell of a man looking back told me that she was correct...either rehab or death. I was supposed to have picked up some information on rehab programs on my way out of my appointment, but was in such horrible withdrawal (after about at max 90 minutes of not drinking) that I didn't pick it up. I managed to muddle through some phone calls and sign up for intake the next day.

Inpatient rehab was only the beginning. At first I was just going to stop for 90 days, then 6 months, then a year. However, we went over Step 1, and in a flash I realized that waking up in rehab not knowing where I was clearly made my life having become unmanageable. I never could quite get around "powerless over (drugs and) alcohol, but I did realize that once I took one sip of booze, it was a clear and definite track back to needing to return to inpatient rehab or I would die, and that the only way to assure that didn't happen was to NEVER EVER take another sip of alcohol.

This was about two weeks into the inpatient stay, which was a crucial part of my recovery. I don't think I could have done it without being locked away from substances and having a full 5 weeks to work on myself and pound that lesson home...if I didn't stop forever, I'd end up right back where I started. It may not have been 100% true, but pretty close, and anyway...why would I risk ending up in that horrible state of illness, despair and self-loathing?

After inpatient I got on a waitlist for outpatient, which was through the clinic that had gotten me into rehab in the first place. It was 5 weeks away. To fill time and make sure I made it there, I did a lot of AA/NA/CA meetings. 12 Step isn't my thing, but it was invaluable for me at the time, and had I not had other options that worked better for me, I would have gladly continued working that program. I also went back to my psychiatrist and stabilized on my psych med cocktail (which has changed slightly over time).

The outpatient program was dual diagnosis cognitive based and gave us a lot of tools to manage cravings and deal with my underlying bipolar disorder issues....as well as general cognitive based life strategy issues. It was life-changing, and got me to Phase 3, which was individual psychodynamic therapy. The inpatient program had a belief system whereby drug/alcohol use is a weapon against pain, anxiety, trauma, fear, and whatever negative and scary emotions/issues that the drugs prevent us from experiencing. It's not that they don't work against these things, it's that they work TOO WELL. So abstinence leaves us in an uncomfortable place, which can be filled with 12 Step or psychotherapy. I chose psychotherapy. I also got very into my body, lost 60 pounds of fat and put on 10 pounds of muscle, getting in better shape than I'd been in since my early 30s. I've started a new career, started dating, and have met a man who may end up being a companion for a long time...once I can get him back to the US!

Anyone who is reading this who is in active addiction and doesn't know what to do can see that it IS possible to lead a life away from drugs and alcohol. I was a horribly depressed near death garbage head and now I'm a sober upstanding member of society with a new career and a possible relationship with an amazing guy. I'm definitely not saying do what I did, because everyone has a different path. But do recognize that if you can't stop, no matter how "addicted" you are, you can. Make a commitment as soon as possible to never drink or use again. Throw whatever sobriety tools at the wall and use what works, and stick to it. GET HELP. Nobody does this alone, the list of people who helped me get here numbers in the hundreds.

There is hope and a life after addiction. I look forward to seeing many newcomers in two years with a post humbly announcing their sobriety.

Much love to all.
Well Said Mindfull, Congrats on 2 years
Old 06-09-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well done mm. Its not easy dealing with a mental illness and addiction. That was a rough journey you went through. Congratulations on your two years.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Wow! Glad you made it out.

I would love to read more details of your therapy. I know everyone is different but I still tend to relate and use everything I read here one way or another.

I still suffer a bit even at my clean time. Likely there are some underlying issues..e.g. Daddy/Mommy Issues etc.

But, I laugh at them more and more these days. I laugh at myself now more than ever.

Often, I seem to be walking around like the cat that ate the canary. The contrasting feelings of being actively addicted to now are positively amazing. My wife says...what are you smirking about? I tell her...just really happy to really see her.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

MM, congratulations and so proud of you! Your journey and process and thoughtfulness on your program inspire me and have taught me a lot, especially since we have some divergent "stuff" in ours.

Keep going! So glad you are here.
A
Old 06-09-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congratulations, MM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

fantastic, MM!
Old 06-09-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wow congrats. What a remarkable journey. Very inspiring!!
Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Well done indeed. And thank you so much for sharing today.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congrats Mindful Man!

Eloquently said about your story. And I also ditto LG, your wisdom has influenced me and countless others.

Best