Notices

Feeling blah

Old 05-08-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling blah

I’m losing the initial spark of sobriety has worn off and I realize my life still sucks. Yes less drama, more money, less physical pains from hangovers. My job is extremely stressful. It’s not for me, and after getting a masters degree and tons of student loan debt to get into this field, here I am, But my family really sucks, my husband included. The last week has been very gloomy for me and I’m at day 38. I’m happy when I see it’s going to rain because that means it’s a good day to go home from work and put the covers over my head and block out the world. Seems a lot of newbies have hit a wall around this point. I told myself at least don’t drink till I hit my goal weight. That probably will never happen. I’m considering going on a hunger strike to protest how my life has turned out. Any advice? Sorry for whining but I don’t know what’s wrong with me.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you are only a month or so into sobriety. your body still has a LOT of work to do to start to repair the damage caused by alcohol. it's going to take TIME for the process of recovery to have a lasting effect. there are no quick fixes.

also, nobody FIXES their life and their circumstances in 30 plus days. nor does sobriety promise to magically fix everything. sobriety gives us the opportunity make changes with a clear head.

try to keep it to manageable bits. don't drink, eat well, get some rest. do the job thing to the best of your ability even when you hate it. just for now it is what you must do. it's not forever. you have the schooling and the training.

debt is an elephant that CAN be tackled and conquered, again in manageable bits. being sober means you aren't wasting money, time and energy on drinking. get busy crafting a budget, using real data. just like recovery, it requires a PLAN.

people in your life...eh. try to capture time alone so you can clear you head. be that hiding under the covers (sings to MY heart!), a nice long walk, a long drive to get q-tips. get creative. limit that in your face time.

hit the pillow sober, and get up tomorrow and get to it.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aw mariposa, I’m really sorry you’re feeling ******. As many will probably say, it’s after that “pink cloud” wears off that we’re faced with real life without alcohol to numb it.

Are you able to see a therapist? Even if you don’t believe in therapy it can be really helpful to just have an unbiased party to talk to about everything. They can also help you figure out your feelings and help you come up with healthy coping mechanisms and behaviors. (If you haven’t noticed I’m very into the power of talk therapy, haha). I would maybe start with that if it’s an option.

Otherwise, I also find it helpful to make a list or write down everything and try and make some kind of plan if you’re overwhelmed. What can you do today, if anything? Sometimes if you break it down or put it on paper it can get it out of your head.

Either way, life can be ******. As many have also said, we need to be able to build a new life sober that we want to live, not just continue as we were sans alcohol. Keep venting and stuff. It helps. I hope you feel better soon. Keep on keeping on. <3
Old 05-08-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((((mariposa)))).

Early sobriety can really be a roller coaster - physically and emotionally. Sobriety doesn’t miraculously change our life-situations but it does make us better-equipped to face its challenges and make well-considered, thoughtful decisions about our futures.

One month of sobriety is truly fantastic but is still very early times in the scope of our sober journeys. Stick with it; continue to give sobriety and recovery the time it needs; keep making the next good, healthy decision; be kind and gentle and patient with yourself. My guess is that things will begin look differently and your options for your future will become more clear.

Please continue to lean on us.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all, I vented to my sober friend about my day, plus Monday was really tough with the family and husband. She said it’s understandable I feel like life sucks. My job is a very tough profession and many don’t last 5 years. I’ve been in it for 10. Today I had a “client” threatening to get me fired, I had to laugh.... go ahead, do me a favor. I’m looking into working at a university in admissions or advising. The covers call me often, turn up the AC and sleep. It’s all a hard reality to deal with sober, but it’s the only way it will get dealt with. I don’t think my family is aware that I’ve been through enough to allow abuse and drama anymore. My dad told me after I fired back at his abuse “you’ve done it girl, bit the hand that feeds you, no more help from me” SOB, if permitting abuse is the price I pay for financial help, I’ll starve, use the last of my retirement savings till I get on my feet before I speak to that evil sick abuser whose abused me as long as I can remember. It’s the classic, I’ll abuse u, tear u down, then that motivates you to do well and you just act like everything is fine. F*** that, no more, no way. Such a dysfunctional mess. Maybe I’m just meant for a hard life, a life of struggle and no reward or prosperity. I feel no matter how careful I plan, or optimistic I am.... it all goes wrong. Thank you all for listening, I’m back to my covers.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, mariposa, for your situation. There is no excuse EVER for abuse and it is not your fault. Have you spoken to a professional about the abuse?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had two years before, i got frustrated with that too. In my head I was like why are so many things not going right, why are my goals taking so long to reach. I think alcohol masks those things. Be patient and keep it up! Im back on day 3 .
Old 05-08-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first 30-90 days were all 'sideways thinking' for me..I was all over the damn place mentally.. "Moving to Hawaii for 6mo..Selling my bussiness' and going to FL..starting another business..ect.." I was a mess! Actually doing some 'soul searching' for the first time in my adult life,via court orered AA and talking my 'knee jerk' reactions through with some fine folks here helped me get 'grounded'.. I stayed under my covers, for the most part, for about 60days. Then started to slowly make some serious life decisions. I had multiple note pads/lists I made while I was 'hiding' from the world. 85% of those things have been checked off the list over the past 2yrs.

Edit: I ended a toxic longterm relationship like 1 month into AA.. Sucked for a minute..but it was looong overdue and attributed to my drinking lifestyle.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mariposa:
Kind of sounds like you do know what's wrong with you. Often in my life I have used alcohol to tolerate the intolerable but nothing changes. I decided to sober today because I too am tired of the life I tolerate with alcohol. I tell myself I drink because I'm bored and lonely and no real friendships here in a place I moved for work. On the way home from work tonight I was just about to stop for a bottle of wine and then I remembered I decided to quit today....that I had signed up for this site for the company I need to change things...the right company. I'm sorry you're feeling down....but I certainly understand. Glad you're here though. And I think at this moment...I'm happy I'm here too.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you doing, mariposa?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Happyvale View Post
Hi Mariposa:
Kind of sounds like you do know what's wrong with you. Often in my life I have used alcohol to tolerate the intolerable but nothing changes. I decided to sober today because I too am tired of the life I tolerate with alcohol. I tell myself I drink because I'm bored and lonely and no real friendships here in a place I moved for work. On the way home from work tonight I was just about to stop for a bottle of wine and then I remembered I decided to quit today....that I had signed up for this site for the company I need to change things...the right company. I'm sorry you're feeling down....but I certainly understand. Glad you're here though. And I think at this moment...I'm happy I'm here too.
That's exactly how it gets to me. The novelty of being sober for a month wears off. I'm feeling great, except I'm painfully aware that I haven't had a significant other in almost 5 years. No friends to speak of. I place all my happiness on my daughter, but only getting to see her half the time. Until I find ways to be happy alone, I'm going to keep relapsing.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
That's exactly how it gets to me. The novelty of being sober for a month wears off. I'm feeling great, except I'm painfully aware that I haven't had a significant other in almost 5 years. No friends to speak of. I place all my happiness on my daughter, but only getting to see her half the time. Until I find ways to be happy alone, I'm going to keep relapsing.
I struggle with similar.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’m back in bed listening to thunder after work. Wanted to go to the gym tonight, debating. Maybe I will just go back to sleep. Another awful day at work, hate my job. But it’s temporary and will end soon, then no money. And I’ll be back out looking for whatever. No stability here, I’m so depressed.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
I’m back in bed listening to thunder after work. Wanted to go to the gym tonight, debating. Maybe I will just go back to sleep. Another awful day at work, hate my job. But it’s temporary and will end soon, then no money. And I’ll be back out looking for whatever. No stability here, I’m so depressed.
Yeah I'm bummed out too tonight. I already have no job and need to find one sharpish, though I don't like where I live and struggle to get motivated.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I feel ya. I have never even gotten close to 30 days though. I think the most i have gotten is 15 and then i would find myself asking why my life wasnt changing? I know that sounds dumb but i am just like this. I also don't like my job, i mean it's not awful but its not getting me anywhere in life and its pretty damn depressing to look around and see other succeeding while i work a job teens do and im friggin 38! I also cant seem to get motivated.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried a lot of anti depressants over the years til I found the right one.

For some of us no medication at all is not the optimal situation?

D
Old 05-09-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’ve tried celexa, zoloft, lexapro, Wellbutrin, Prozac.... the only thing they did for me was kill any small amount of libido I had. I’m crying so hard in my bed I’m choking and can’t catch my breath
Old 05-09-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly didn't mean to make you feel bad or make you cry with anything I said. If I did, I'm sorry

For me a lot of it is finding the right Dr too - a lot of Drs wrote me off an an idiot the moment I met them because I have a disability.

I don't think any of us deserves to be depressed and I hope you find your way
through it.

I think stopping drinking, although it may seem worse right now, will ultimately help in the long run.

Outside of meds, exercise and sunlight are good for me too - and a diet low in sugary over processed stuff helps too.

D
Old 05-09-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No, it’s not your fault. It’s a million other things, I try, it gets me nowhere. Oddly as I went to google something rapid eye desensitization???? Came up on my search as a suggestion. When I get money I may try that. I suffer from PTSD possibly from a lot of abuse, as a child, adolescent and adult. I can’t go on like this, but I know drinking is only abusing myself more. So I’m fighting through all these emotions.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
I’ve tried celexa, zoloft, lexapro, Wellbutrin, Prozac.... the only thing they did for me was kill any small amount of libido I had. I’m crying so hard in my bed I’m choking and can’t catch my breath
How about cymbalta? That one didn't have any sexual side effects for me.