Notices

I need a project

Old 05-09-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Maybe you could make a project out of finding your sense of being.

I did. Made a project of it. I think it might be one of those projects that never truly gets finished.

Still, I highly recommend it.
thank you-you are so right
Old 05-09-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
ReadyatLast, I'm glad you're looking for things to do and that you will enjoy. It's good to pay attention to what you need in your life as your recovery journey continues.
Thanks Anna
Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
We have been renovating and decorating is great, also a fab feeling of accomplishment after good for you
thats great mummy.there is always plenty to do isn't there, especially at this time of year as the evenings get longer.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi RAL

I think it's important to feel productive and occupied and engaged - but as I think you know that alone will probably not solve all your alcoholic/addictive problems.

Whatever else you do, make your recovery a project too?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Thanks Dee, I know. The truth hurts doesn't it. I sometimes just don't feel like I want this enough and that is why I keep going back. I do want to be sober though. It's just so damned relentless. I'm not blaming anyone else. It's all on me and my mindset and not doing enough actions to embrace proper sobriety again.

I'm away with work tomorrow and overnight but when I get home I will get started on activities in conjunction with sobriety.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
Get into nature maybe? I mean you have a tiger avatar so maybe you already are, and if you live in a remote place you may very well have wildlife to see on your doorstep.
Thanks Textax. Yes I do live in the middle of nowhere so walking and wandering are perfect things to do. thanks for your response.how are you getting on? Are you back home now?
Old 05-09-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
It's nice to hear from you RAL. I've been thinking about how you are doing. I wish that I had a solution to offer for your question but I don't. All I know is that I drank to not be bored once and then really couldn't function for most of the day until the next drink. That may not be your story, however. But that is where boredom took me.

Now, I just take life 30 seconds or five minutes at a time and I'm much happier. I'm not numbed out anymore or looking for a fix. I just focus on what is before me and try not to let my mind sabotage my serenity. It's not easy for me and I'm just learning how to do this...but I've learned a lot by researching spiritual techniques of presence.

Anyway, I've missed your posts. So, I'm glad to hear from you!
Hey great to hear from you too thanks for posting. I can totally relate to what you say. The evenings seem so long not drinking but that's good -plenty of time to do things
Old 05-09-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Happyvale View Post
Hi Ready....
I certainly relate. I have often joked to friends that I need to find a new hobby...that drinking just wasn't intended for sport. I've had periods of sobriety and today I realized I want that again. I drink when lonely and bored yet suddenly today I thought...it's the drinking that is boring and lonely. Easier to reach for a bottle than reach out for life. My relationship with the bottle is long tenured. We've had break ups but I always go back. I hope you find that project you're looking for. I hope I do too. I hope I stick to this awhile. I hope I find some community here again. I had it once before. And I see some old familiar names that I'm happy to see still here. This could be my hobby for the next while I think : ) Oddly enough, I was sober when I moved to the city I live in now a few years back. My life was in shambles really. I'd only been a few months sober. I now have many of things I didn't back then. I have a great job where I make good money. I have a furnished place of my own and travel often. I can afford what I need...... but I'm not happy. No use drinking a bottle of wine every night and telling myself otherwise.
Thank you for your response. I honestly could have written that too. It;s amazing you read people's posts and they reflect your own experiences so much. Thank you and I wish you success in your recovery
Old 05-09-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Thanks Textax. Yes I do live in the middle of nowhere so walking and wandering are perfect things to do. thanks for your response.how are you getting on? Are you back home now?
I'm ok I guess, thanks for asking. Got back today, I'm two weeks sober. I just don't like my living situation; I was not looking forward to coming 'home' at all (it's not much of one). But I should sleep well tonight and maybe not be so mardy in the morning!
Old 05-09-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gymratgirl View Post
Maybe find some kind of group activity? That way, you have a place to be, people to interact with? Kind of keep yourself on track if you know that others are expecting to see you?
This is what I need to do. It's the lack of human interaction that is the biggest instigator for my relapses. Each time I've relapsed, it was at a bar where I'm around other people.

Once I get some back problems out of the way, I plan on going back to the gym.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say hi RAL
You helped me out a lot in *class* and I really hope you can catch the right wave for yourself.
I know you can do this!
-Z
Old 05-10-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
A project is a fine idea, but a poor solution for alcoholism.
Well said, hobbies, exercise, etc. are good, but they aren't a program of recovery.