Notices

I can't do it

Old 05-07-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't do it

Every day i try to quit, i dont have the willpower to taper. The withdrawls are chronic, i work most days and its tough to hide.

No one knows about the addiction and it has to stay that way.

Im running out of options by day 4 im in a lot of pain nausea and depression and thats when i crack, if i make it that far.

Gonna start again tomorrow gonna give it my best go yet, if i can just make it seven days i will be out of its clutches. Seven days is an eternity though at the minute, any help tips will be appreciated, thanks for your time.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do it. Lots of us have done it when we didn't think we could.

Have you talked to your dr about the withdrawals and whether or not it's safe for you to quit cold turkey. If so, it will be uncomfortable, but you can get through it. Since you know that 4pm is a tough time, plan ahead. Go to the gym, meet a friend for coffee, do whatever you can do to distract yourself and get through it.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I couldn't taper, either. I had bad withdrawals, too. Keeping busy, eating sugar (especially ice cream), hanging out on sober websites or going to meetings helped a lot.

I had to take it a day at a time, sometimes an hour at a time. Treat yourself like you've got the flu--lots of liquids, baths, good food and rest.

If you're at all worried about seizures or other health problems, of course, go see a doctor.

Also look up "urge surfing." That seems to help a lot of people.

Sending good thoughts your way.
It's hard, but worth it. It gets much, much better.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am on Day 12 so just recently went through a detox/withdrawal period. Intense anxiety and insomnia are the main hurdles for me when I try to sober up. I didn't sleep at all for 6 days and couldn't leave my apartment without feeling paranoid. I made it through and I am well-rested and sober. My mood has done a 180 and I am feeling good. Detoxing is horrible and knowing a few beers can end the suffering makes it so hard no to reach for the instant relief. You are pretty much through the worst of it on day 4. Keep going! You are a day or two away from serenity!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, i know giving up drink is touch canuck i did it years ago hardly slept for 3 weeks, its opiates im on now, and my bones really ache with the withdrawls, nothing helps and i cant lay still, its really torture, gonna try and get through this time though. Cant do no doctors cupofjoe need to do this alone im afraid.

I wish i coild just go away for a week, away from the pills and work and responsibilities.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by IWalkTheLine View Post
Cant do no doctors cupofjoe need to do this alone im afraid.
You say it's tough, but then you insist on doing it the hardest way possible...on your own.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back IWTL,

I dunno - if you can't taper and won't see a Dr you're making a rod for your back, surely?

what kind of opiates are they? is it advisable to just stop rather than trying to taper?

D
Old 05-07-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Every sober person here felt that they couldn't do it at one time. You need to make a recovery plan and keep adding to it until you find what works for you.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can you take a week off work?

If so, take a week off work and post here everyday. If you start to feel really jumpy, have a way to get to the ER.
Then no one at work will know and you'll be out of the clutches of withdrawal.

It's much better on this side.

EDIT:
Sorry, I assumed it was alcohol withdrawal. I know opiate withdrawal is also hell. If you know yourself and you'll be out of the worst of it after a week, why not take a week of personal time?
Old 05-07-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi IWalkTheLine

Which opiates are you taking and what dose if you don't mind me asking?

I know it's not easy but maybe it's time to ask for help rather than doing it alone? I've read some of your old threads and it looks like you have been in the same position for years.

I know it's not easy. I also hid my alcohol addiction from the people closest to me for years - even getting to the point where I was going through intense withdrawal and blaming it on stomach flu. I just couldn't swallow my pride. I totally understand your way of thinking. I remember thinking if I could just have a week to myself to get over the worst of it everything would be okay but responsibilities and fear of withdrawals kept me in active addiction. Is it possible for you to take any time off work? Maybe that would be a good idea even for a few days so you can focus on getting well and over the worst of it.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mainly high doses of codeine these days but i'll take pretty much anything. I quit heroin in the late nineties but i had the threat of prison hovering over me and i was so much stronger then, i was sick for days but i had lots of support, same when i quit drinking. Thats why its got to stay a secret this time, i cant admit ive let everyone down again.

When i came off heroin i was going to a substance free re hab so i had to go cold turkey, no methadone or anything was alowed. Also that time i overdosed so i was unconscious pretty much for the first 3 days, by the time i got out of hospital i was alrrady on day 4.

Same with drinking, i was hospitalised for a week so hardly had any withdrawls at all that time round.
I had quite a heavy dose yesterday morning and today the withdrawls kicked in and i started vomiting at work, so took some, i'll try and have an early night start the cold turkey tomorrow.

I cant take a week of work or go away for a week because i live with my girlfriend, makes things tough. I can hide the irritability and the nausea but she knows somethings up.

I have to quit, im stuck in a rut because my motivation is non existant, i just feel like im standing still in life, i have so many regrets, that on its own keeps me using so i can blot them out, in withdrawl they are all i think about. I could have had a really nice life if it wasnt for these addictions, maybe i can still make something of myself, although it will be harder due to the position i find myself in.

Its definitely a vicious circle, i use because of the state of my life, and my lifes jn this state because i use, thanks for your advice and time everyone, i will do it!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My best to you...like most others here we can relate and support your efforts gaining abstinence.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
nez

Its definitely a vicious circle, i use because of the state of my life, and my lifes jn this state because i use,
I can relate as I know the cycle all too well. I drank because I didn't know how not to. I learned how not to, by not drinking. Sounds simple and it is, but isn't at the same time. The cycle had already taught me all it could, I just had to apply the lessons learned, in order to stop it. Once I stopped it, if only for a nanosecond (because that is all it takes), I had to start learning and the faster I learned, the less likely the cycle would restart.

It was definitely plodding at first. I heard people talk about one day at time, but that was out of my reach and beyond my comprehension. I could manage to stave the cycle off from restarting for 15 minutes though. Lots of 15 minute periods strung together strengthened my learning and resolve. The time of the cycle being broken continued to length as the 15 minute periods melded and grew.

Today I have 16 years of the cycle not restarting. It sounds simple and it is, but it isn't at the same time; but it is easier though and the serenity is beyond words. I am finally comfortable in my own skin, which is all I ever wanted in the first place and why I started drinking in the first place. Alcohol made empty promises in that direction. Recovery delivers on those promises.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Whenever my 4-year old says "I can't do it"
My reply is always:
Yes you can, it takes practice and determination. Say this out loud "I can do it".
He says it out loud and he practices and he does it.

Keep it simple
Old 05-08-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No one knows about the addiction and it has to stay that way.
The important thing is, you know about the addiction.

A secondary thing, although it gives me no pleasure to say it, is that medical professionals will know about your addiction eventually if it carries on. I was a member of a liver health forum, and reading about liver disease is truly horrific. I wouldn’t wish that on you or anyone.

it’s not your fault you became addicted. That’s what alcohol does. Think of yourself and your future. A lot of us have been where you are now and come out better with a better future ahead.

Good luck
Old 05-08-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

^^^^

It starts with "I can."

The rest is figuring out how, given that your objective is to stop completely forever.

I chose inpatient detox from alcohol and benzos/z-drugs. I'd done it myself, it was horrible, and my last binge was worse than previously. I don't think I could have done it on my own at that point.

So I didn't.

"I can" meant giving up control and letting others help me.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

If the sticking point is you live with your gf and she already knows something up, I'd really consider just laying it all out and taking a week off, man.

D
Old 05-09-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice everyone, and your right it is simple, at least it should be.

Ive got some strongish pills that i will just take if i have a really bad withdrawl, like a taper but a real quick one. 2 tablets should be enough to soften the pain without giving me a high that i would just chase.

I think i'll keep this thread going to keep myself accountable, the way im looking at it this time next week i'll be free, although i know the depression will follow the physical side of it and i'll just have to deal with it anyway i can, but pill free.

Thanks again
Old 05-09-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm back on day 1 myself. I think I had about 6 weeks and just said **** it. Being alone and bored is almost always my downfall. This bender lasted 4 days that totaled 2 bottles of gin and 1 bottle of tequila. I've been awake for about 30 hours right now, but surprisingly don't feel too terrible. I did have my mom take me to the ER at 6am to get some fluids at me and a nice double dose of ativan. Haven't needed any of the prescription I had filled though. If I can get some sleep tonight, I think feel much better tomorrow.

This time I'm going to make a real effort of finding a local substance abuse counselor, therapist, whatever to me not rely on my non-existent will to stay on the wagon.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back abgator. You might get more responses posting your own thread on the Alcoholism or Newcomers forums

D