Notices

Struggling

Old 05-07-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Hi everyone

I made this post a few weeks ago: accountability.html#post7166524

In the short time since, I've done some things that have risked my relationship and my life. I also had a seizure for almost an hour after a recent binge, but I can't go out of my apartment without sneaking into a pub.

My partner and family cannot cope anymore and I'm hurting everyone but I just can't get myself out of this cycle 😞
Old 05-07-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're here. This is the best first step. Next thing is getting into sober in person community too. Can you have someone take you to a meeting then home?
Old 05-07-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Resurgence. I would get to a doctor ASAP and be totally honest about your drinking. They should be able to help you safely detox. Seizures are serious and I'm a little worried for you.

If you're really struggling to the point that you feel as though you can't leave your house, perhaps an inpatient rehab would be helpful for you to get some sober time and to come up with a good recovery plan.

Regardless, I really think you should see a doctor. Get to the ER if you need to.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please talk to your doctor or go to an ER. After that, you might consider an inpatient rehab.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to have you here. We're all here for the same reason.
But..

Please go to the ER. Read Frizzer's thread if you need a nudge in the right direction.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

An hour long seizure? Someone witnessed this? I highly recommend going to the dr/hospital, getting a scan to see what really happened.

Have you considered inpatient rehab? Sometimes that kind of situation is great when you need to be safe from yourself, ya know? That's what I did. It doesn't 'fix' you, and its just the beginning, but it keeps you safe and sober long enough to make an after care plan and get a little bit of time under your belt. And it gets you away from family which is generally good for everyone.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I also did inpatient rehab that included medical detox, and agree with others that you should consider this option, given that you're having seizures and can barely leave your house due to alcohol withdrawal. I was also at the point of needing to take vodka with me if I left the house for any amount of time.

It will get you over the hump of withdrawal in relative comfort, and some time completely away from alcohol with some treatment. It is a start, but you can turn that start into a way of life with no booze, and all the positives that go with that, as long as you're committed.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your replies.

I've been in and out of the doctor's for the past year with anxiety and depression and my next appointment is Monday 13th May, which will follow up my recent blood test results (which I had taken the day after the seizure).

The seizure - I had uncontrollable leg spasms and intermittent delusions for approximately an hour. My girlfriend talked me through it and I was present and aware at times, only to fall into a terryfying delusion the next minute. This was a few weeks ago, and occurred 3 days after coming off a 4-day binge. Yesterday, I binged again but not to the same degree.

I'm aware that my seizure may have been DTs, but I'm not sure and I'll have to wait for the results. In the meantime, I'm trying to produce a recovery plan but have no idea where to start.

I've been drinking since I was 14 - I'm 30 now and feel as though I don't really know myself at all.

I'm rambling a bit now so I'll just stay on the site today and read lots.

Thank you all for being there.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is a solution. I suggest going to an AA meeting and listening for the similarities. Many have been where you are now, or worse, and recovered. If you don’t drink again you’ll never go through this again. You have to have a stronger desire to stop drinking and want recovery more than you want a quick fix of taking a drink however.

There is never a reason to drink for an alcoholic just an excuse.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I like the recovery plan of AA. The Twelve Steps are very simple, and there is ample support in the form of meetings. Many people who work this plan also get a sponsor to help them with the Steps.

There is probably a meeting soon nearby you!