Notices

Party weekend, didn't drink, but...

Old 05-06-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

WhoDey, have to give my 2 cents because I like you from reading your posts. Like others here, I smoked pot daily from 15 to 30. You know it’s incredibly strong now. The first thought I had reading this was oh no, this is not good. It’ll affect his judgment & he’s playing with fire (no pun intended).
Old 05-06-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
Heck, someone I didn't know actually poured me a shot and basically shoved it in my face...because she wanted to take a shot and didn't want to do it alone. I quickly shut that down, but it didn't tempt me or make me want it at all.
And there's a very good reason for that, as you previously stated on this thread:

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
For me, having 1 drink is the beginning of the very end for me. My liver simply doesn't have the functionality to process the alcohol, and it would kill me within days.

The replies will hopefully give you some food for thought and considering what you're facing health wise I think you're doing great and hope that you continue to so!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Whether or not it's a "relapse" is really up to you WhoDeyPi. It's worth noting though that SR is a sobriety forum and Marijuana is an addictive drug. The promotion of the use of any addictive drug is against the rules her, plain and simple. If you'd choose to see your doctor and find out if they think smoking pot would be a good thing for you medically then give that a shot - but otherwise no one here can or will approve of it - plain and simple. Check out the marijuana forum if you'd like to see lives destroyed by the drug just as alcohol does.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I’m going down the route of finding out how my brain is supposed to function unadulterated.
No confusion of what is real and what could be AV this way.
Maybe after 5 years sobriety but more than likely not. Been there done that.

Each to their own
Well done for pushing that shot away and not drinking
Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I grew up in horse racing. Lean more western now. Derby is always a good time, if nothing else you buy a new hat lol.

Weed, I did it a lot when I was younger, like daily. When I was dating my husband he said, I can't have it around me. I said ok, that was 12 years ago. I have never touched it again.

It is legal now, I still have no desire. I outgrew it. However I outgrew all drugs. I barely take advil. I am sober in every sense of the word these days. Even gave up cancer sticks.

I don't think you will find too much support of you smoking weed on here. For some folks it is a slippery slope, a way of replacing booze. For others, something fun to do, safe and ok. I don't care what people do, to me it is safer than a lot of stuff, but it can be a gateway. Heck there are people addicted to eating the stuffing out of their couch. Addiction is bizarre in it's debilitating effects. I agree with using it for pain relief or its other benefits, but using it to achieve an altered state of mind is dangerous and to me personally, suggests you aren't as far in recovery as you would like to be.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
nez

For me, pot would not be a gateway (haven't done it in sobriety, it just never did really work for me). Ice cream is a gateway. Things are not my foe, the foe sits atop my shoulders. Recovery has helped me to recognize red flags as they start to go up, so that behavior can be changed before it becomes problematic. I don't play with obvious fire, but I also stay keenly aware to sparks from seemingly innocuous sources.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If I had been sober for months then started smoking weed I would consider there to be something wrong with my sobriety. It's a mind altering substance just like alcohol. The excuse it's good for the liver is just an excuse. sure my doctor wouldn't prescribe me weed if I had live problems.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The general consensus is that it was a negative thing for me to do. I don't really look at it as being positive or negative.

Don't take this the wrong way...but I've never been the kind of "alcoholic" that couldn't walk by a bar without entering, or needs to have his house clear of even the faint memory of alcohol. I started drinking back in the day because it helped me cope with my depression, and I ended up physically addicted to it. I gave it up with shear willpower, and now that I'm over the physical dependence, my mind no longer needs or wants it.

To me, this was just a new experience. I didn't need an excuse to do it, or not to do it....it was just a clear headed choice I made. An adventure into the unknown. Will I do it again? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't really matter.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I wouldn't class that as a relapse. Congrats on not drinking. That is huge!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It's a no from me. I am an alcoholic in recovery but I wouldn't go out one night and do a couple of lines of coke instead. Personally I have to stay away from all mind altering substances. I wouldn't even take night nurse now for a cold or antihistamines if they are the kind that can make you drowsy because I used alcohol not only to get a buzz, but also to change how I felt , to numb myself, and I don't want (and cannot afford) any other mind altering, addictive substances in my body again (I am working on sugar!!)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't question your original post, nor any of your responses here. In fact I think your honesty and openness is part of what makes your ability to abstain drinking alcohol so strong. But I do have to ask if there isn't something in your mind that considers the decision to smoke pot, at least in part, problematic, why did you post about it at all?
Old 05-06-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well, if I become a major pothead, ya'll can come back and tell me that you told me so. In the meantime, I hope ya'll like the pic of me and my hiking buddy
Old 05-06-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please Remember:

It's against our rules to promote the use of drugs or alcohol.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The way I see it, my problem is with alcohol, so I don't feel automatically disqualified from partaking in other substances. However, I don't know what effect(s) other substances might have. Will they make me want to drink? Will I develop a new habit? Will they kill me on the spot? Any of these things could happen the first time, the second time, or the 100th time. Or, maybe it would be fine. At the end of the day, I don't want to do the research - there is just too much to lose. That's just me...I hope the experiment works out for you.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Please Remember:

It's against our rules to promote the use of drugs or alcohol.
Yes, I am aware. I am not promoting such activity, just looking to learn and hear other views on it. I believe that is the goal of a public forum.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You've received many other views. I think the thread has run its course, don't you?
Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a public, moderated, forum. This thread is now closed.