Notices

Checking in at 4 months

Old 05-05-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in at 4 months

I haven't had a drink in a little over 4 months things are a lot better in my life. Still the romantic thoughts of drinking emerge every now and then but I know that will lead me right back down the crappy road where I was. I do however find myself very irritable and short tempered sometimes and just pray these feelings will pass. Even with these feelings I know I am in a much better place in my life. Most days I feel at peace with the fact that my drinking days are done. It does get easier with time just confused on my feelings? I will not go back to being a slave to alcohol period, no matter what.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four months sober! It's common for feelings to be up and down in early recovery. Try practicing gratitude every day. That always lifts my mood.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 05-05-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 4 months

Remember abstinence is not control and you won't go far wrong

D
Old 05-05-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on 4 months

Remember abstinence is not control and you won't go far wrong

D
I don't know if it's me who is tired, but what does that last phrase mean?
Old 05-05-2019, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Caprice, I think Dee is saying we must be on guard not to think that because we’ve managed to stay sober for a while, it would be OK to have one or two drinks and to attempt moderation once more.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job with 4 months

Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great going! And I remember 4 mo well - because it was a distinctly aggravated time for me! I was irritable a lot for no reason - stuff like getting mad at my mom for taking me to an AA meeting by a route I didn't like. Sheesh. But - early sobriety is like that for most of us - up and downs will even out. And/or, we figure out how to handle them better.

My version of what Dee said is to make the distinction between abstinence/sobriety - just not drinking - and recovery, a new and diff way of living sober. Also, the word "control" isn't in my vocab because alcohol will never be something I can control; life won't be either.

Keep going!
Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Caprice, I think Dee is saying we must be on guard not to think that because we’ve managed to stay sober for a while, it would be OK to have one or two drinks and to attempt moderation once more.
Took me a few attempts too

It’s just easier to quit 100% for an alcohol dependent. To try and moderate isn’t likely to succeed regrettably nor is having just the one.

Booze hasn’t beaten me physically, but it’s definitely got me mentally. Whilst I’m not scared of being around alcohol or even cooking with the stuff (and eating the results), I’m rightfully wary of drinking again ever.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations on 4 months!

Pretty common to feel all sorts of emotions that are uncomfortable in the early months. I was so crabby sometimes - the smallest things could irritate me or reduce me to tears. Such big changes, and no booze to dull the feelings. Having to face things long-avoided. It's a lot. Be gentle with yourself. It gets easier.