SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Back After Long Time Away...On Day 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/438368-back-after-long-time-away-day-2-a.html)

FreedomCA 05-04-2019 05:21 PM

Back After Long Time Away...On Day 2

Well I'm back after being gone for some time. Sobriety and slipping have been the norm. But I would like it to stop now since things are getting out of control. I've lost a lot of money when drinking and gambling and have made other poor decision. I am on Day 2 today of no alcohol, caffeine, nicotine or gambling.

Zebra1275 05-04-2019 05:34 PM

Welcome back!

I am on Day 2 today of no alcohol, caffeine, nicotine or gambling.

Personally, I wouldn't try to break 4 habits at one time, that sounds like a recipe for failure.

Why don't you pick one, and I'm assuming it would be alcohol, and develop a plan to get, and stay sober. Focusing on alcohol, and giving it 100% of you attention (instead of 25%) would be my suggestion.

january161992 05-04-2019 05:39 PM

glad youre back

from step 1 in the 12X12

Why all this insistence that every A.A. must hit bottom
first? The answer is that few people will sincerely try to
practice the A.A. program unless they have hit bottom. For
practicing A.A.'s remaining eleven Steps means the adoption of attitudes and actions that almost no alcoholic who is
still drinking can dream of taking. Who wishes to be rigorously honest and tolerant? Who wants to confess his faults
to another and make restitution for harm done? Who cares
anything about a Higher Power, let alone meditation and
prayer? Who wants to sacrifice time and energy in trying to
carry A.A.'s message to the next sufferer? No, the average
alcoholic, self-centered in the extreme, doesn't care for this
prospect—unless he has to do these things in order to stay
alive himself.

:tyou

Dee74 05-04-2019 05:39 PM

Welcome back FreedomCA :)

Whats your plan to stay sober - how will you do it?

D

Ghostlight1 05-04-2019 05:41 PM

Welcome back and congratulations on two days of no alcohol, caffeine, nicotine or gambling.
I sincerely hope you can abstain from all four.
I have a hard time with caffeine right now. I've grown to hate it, yet I'm addicted and finding it hard to quit.
So two days with your four vices is huge and inspiring.
Best to you and stick around.

Caprice6 05-04-2019 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 (Post 7178583)
Welcome back!

Personally, I wouldn't try to break 4 habits at one time, that sounds like a recipe for failure.

Why don't you pick one, and I'm assuming it would be alcohol, and develop a plan to get, and stay sober. Focusing on alcohol, and giving it 100% of you attention (instead of 25%) would be my suggestion.

I thought so too, and still think that it's an individual choice, but at my program the social worker said that new studies suggested quitting all bad habits at once have a higher rate of success than going about them bit by bit. She said it was because it is a change in lifestyle.
*quietly takes a sip of coffee*

least 05-04-2019 06:35 PM

Welcome back! :)

Anna 05-04-2019 06:47 PM

Welcome back, Freedom. Good job on Day 2. :)

FreedomCA 05-04-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 (Post 7178583)
Welcome back!

Thank you for the suggestion. I only gamble after I have been drinking, and I have found that caffeine and nicotine heighten my anxiety which leads to drinking. I think my best shot at alcohol sobriety is giving up all 4 at the same time. Almost done with Day 2 and I'm feeling good about this decision.

FreedomCA 05-04-2019 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by january161992 (Post 7178590)
glad youre back

from step 1 in the 12X12

Why all this insistence that every A.A. must hit bottom
first? The answer is that few people will sincerely try to
practice the A.A. program unless they have hit bottom. For
practicing A.A.'s remaining eleven Steps means the adoption of attitudes and actions that almost no alcoholic who is
still drinking can dream of taking. Who wishes to be rigorously honest and tolerant? Who wants to confess his faults
to another and make restitution for harm done? Who cares
anything about a Higher Power, let alone meditation and
prayer? Who wants to sacrifice time and energy in trying to
carry A.A.'s message to the next sufferer? No, the average
alcoholic, self-centered in the extreme, doesn't care for this
prospect—unless he has to do these things in order to stay
alive himself.

:tyou

Yes, you are right. It's sad, but I really had to hit this bottom to take my sobriety seriously. I have lost most of the money in my bank account, I'm on the verge of having to move back home if I keep on drinking and losing my independence, my career is suffering, just everything is bad.

FreedomCA 05-04-2019 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7178591)
Welcome back FreedomCA :)

Whats your plan to stay sober - how will you do it?

D

SR, AA and healthier choices.

FreedomCA 05-04-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 (Post 7178594)
Welcome back and congratulations on two days of no alcohol, caffeine, nicotine or gambling.
I sincerely hope you can abstain from all four.
I have a hard time with caffeine right now. I've grown to hate it, yet I'm addicted and finding it hard to quit.
So two days with your four vices is huge and inspiring.
Best to you and stick around.

I'm so excited that in 4 more hours I will be on Day 3 from all 4. But as I said in a previous post, I had to hit a pretty desperate and low bottom to make this choice and take it seriously. My life was becoming very dark and grim and there seemed no way out.

FreedomCA 05-04-2019 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Caprice6 (Post 7178618)
I thought so too, and still think that it's an individual choice, but at my program the social worker said that new studies suggested quitting all bad habits at once have a higher rate of success than going about them bit by bit. She said it was because it is a change in lifestyle.
*quietly takes a sip of coffee*

I fully agree with these studies. The gambling comes AFTER drinking so that one is easy if I don't drink. The caffeine and nicotine seem to come BEFORE drinking because they make me anxious and nervous, and then I drink to calm myself. But I do think each individual has to assess her or himself and see what they think about the situation. I know people who claim that nicotine and caffeine help them avoid alcohol. I am just not one of those people, and I fortunately was able to recognize this. Like I said, I already feel more secure in my sobriety on late Day 2 by having not picked up a cigarette or consuming caffeine. Now sugar right now is a different story! That definitely helps keep the alcohol away!

FreedomCA 05-04-2019 08:20 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I was at such a low yesterday and was unsure I would make it. For the first time in my life I had to block most peoples text messages from my phone yesterday because I truly needed to look inward to save myself and could not afford to be texting anyone personally on the phone. I guess when we hit that point of desperation, we truly do "go to any length for victory over alcohol."

Delilah1 05-04-2019 11:17 PM

Welcome back Freedom!

MantaLady 05-05-2019 12:43 AM

Welcome back Freedom! xx

Dee74 05-05-2019 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by FreedomCA (Post 7178677)
SR, AA and healthier choices.

Cool. :)

If you want to further expand or discuss those ideas anytime you'll have no end of willing brains here to help you do that

You can do this - make sure whatever your plan is it includes lots of action :)

D

Mummyto2 05-05-2019 01:37 AM

Well done on day 2, I would concentrate on 1 thing at a time, as giving up everything all together may have a reverse effect, your doing great onwards and upwards

bexxed 05-05-2019 05:42 AM

Welcome back FreedomCA and congrats on (three?) days. I remember you. It’s good to see you back with a plan.

-bexxed