Notices

8 months and 23 days shot

Old 05-02-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 months and 23 days shot

Well I was sober for that long and I screwed up....i even took antabuse. For some weird reason I could still drink. My girlfriend says you must have a weird body lol. Anyways I just wanted to post...ty for listening
Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you drank. Had you been taking antabuse for the entire time? I know someone it doesn't work for, who can also drink. And have heard stories. Just a word of caution: Drinking on antabuse, even if it doesn't make you sick, is even more horrible on your liver. Be careful.

So, do ya plan on stopping? Maybe talk to your dr about Naltrexone?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think my liver is shot from drinking FYI
Old 05-02-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ugh. I drank on Antabuse once. Just to see if I could. If I would have had a gun I would have killed myself to stop the pain and misery. Strange how it didn't affect you.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drugs are no solution for alcoholism imo. Just like a plaster over a wound that will never stop bleeding until it’s stitched up.

working a program of recovery is the treatment for alcoholism in my experience. There is a solution...
Old 05-02-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i drank on Antabuse when I didn't want to get sober, and just wanted to make my dr and parents think I did. I didn't die like it's possible to, but had some crappy consequences.

Antabuse is a great supplemental tool for some of us if you don't drink on it. And, more importantly than anything is if you want to be sober, and decide to do something that focuses on recovery.

It's hard to know what you mean by your lead sentence - makes me think you were just willing yourself sober or .... ?

And the only way to know if your liver is shot is if you've seen your dr and gotten all the tests etc like I did.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Antabuse works by binding to the enzyme that breaks down acetaldehyde in your liver; so it can't bind to acetaldehyde, causing acetaldehyde to build up in your system.

For most people, this causes vomiting, headaches, and an all around feeling that death is imminent. And of course, the buildup of acetaldehyde is terrible for anything it touches - so liver cells, arteries, heart, brain cells, etc.

I was once on it and had an adverse reaction from hand sanitizer because the active ingredient is ethanol. I'm not sure why it doesn't work on you. Perhaps you have enough acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (said enzyme) that the active ingredient in Antabuse didn't bind to all of it.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't drink on Antabuse. I just stopped taking Antabuse for a week in preparation of a relapse.

Alcoholism is fun.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Piston

so you drank. It's done. Move on

what else were you doing for your recovery besides Antabuse?
whats the plan now?

D
Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Its ok to slip up. Just don't use it as an excuse to go back into the bottle for a while.