Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

‘There’s an elephant in the room’ Weekenders 03 - 06 May 2019

Notices

‘There’s an elephant in the room’ Weekenders 03 - 06 May 2019

Old 05-03-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Caprice I think you should sell that pic to a greetings card company for Valentines day. The elephants trunks have formed a perfect heart. ❤
Old 05-03-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

A random pic I took earlier.

Snail is 8 ft high going nowhere...

Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I’ve been a bit quiet lately but I’m still in for a sober weekend.

Loved your little summary of all the things you enjoyed in South Africa, Caprice.

Nice to see all the pics as well. Dragon I like your bathroom a lot, but that bath sure looks a bit small for the size of the room!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The photo of the elephants is superb Caprice.

Good to see you CaptainH

Friday hometime and a 3 day weekend. Woot!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Greetings, all.

Thanks for all the great posts and photos.

Hope that everyone has a wonderful Sober Weekend.

It is sea turtle nesting season here.

Safe nesting and hatching, little ones.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
A random pic I took earlier.

Snail is 8 ft high going nowhere...

OMG Slow down!

Apparently it had just finished delivering a letter (snail mail)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

FWP

They're nailing up siding on my landing. You may have heard we have a construction project going on.

I didn't put my toilet lid down.

My deodorant, Neti rinse bottle, a roll of medical tape and a piece of tile are now in my toilet.

At least I flushed it beforehand and had cleaned it this morning. Fortuitous.

The medicine cabinet is now taped shut.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Greetings, all.

Thanks for all the great posts and photos.

Hope that everyone has a wonderful Sober Weekend.

It is sea turtle nesting season here.

Safe nesting and hatching, little ones.

Oh Leigh, I’ve seen them on tv speeding their way to the sea. Hopefully
Old 05-03-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Mr

Weekenderoonies Hola.
Nothing beats beating back the AV.
Had some hair raising cravings this evening coming home from work and then they were gone. Story over.
Anyways time for the dindins and then some unwind time. I got some free tickets from work to go see Toulouse V Pau in the rugby tomorrow. Shaping up to be a great weekend.
Courage to anyone going through the rough.
Salutations weekenders,
V.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:29 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Caprice I think you should sell that pic to a greetings card company for Valentines day. The elephants trunks have formed a perfect heart. ❤
I may look into it! 😉

No $ needed as long as I get credit.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:32 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Just met an ex NFL player at the dog park who played with the Bills & Jets and then ended his career with the Argonauts as an offensive linebacker. Fell in love and stayed in Toronto. Very nice, pleasant guy orginally from Oregon.

Talked sports and fam...he's like yeah, like it was like in the ghetto. yeah, lol. On 1 side.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Yes, Mags, fingers crossed and prayers lifted. Soon, as the nests are identified, the nests will be cordoned off with stakes and tape to alert beach goers of their locations and to prevent pedestrian damage. Homes and businesses along the shore are limited to certain types of outdoor lighting and shine angles are to be directed away from the shore so that the newly hatched ones are not confused as to the path to the sea.

And speaking of turtles, I hope our trachs is doing well. Love to you, trachs.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Another weekend is here? Time is just flying by now.

[pulling up my calendar app]

Looks like today is Day 248 for me, if I math'd correctly. Big weekend for me planned. The Kentucky Derby is tomorrow, which is a big event for us Americans.

I've been invited to a big party, where everyone will be drinking. I accepted the invite and very much look forward to it. Spent a good deal of money on a new outfit for the occasion, so I'll be looking good and feeling good! The host of the party has reached out to me directly to ask what drinks she could provide for non-drinkers. I thought that was very cool of her. She also said she is leaving the "splash of bourbon" out from her cupcake icing recipe, which made me laugh.

Cheers to our health!
Old 05-03-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Happy Friday everybody, I hope you're all looking forward to a fun and sober weekend.

I figured I'd vent here a little bit as a bunch of stuff is piling on. My family is throwing a party on Sunday where I'm obligated to attend. It doesn't threaten my sobriety and nobody will push me to drink but I just don't feel like going.

Also I'm trying to get rid of a friend that I've determined is toxic. I was feeding his pet while he's out of town on business, I hid his key and sent him an email. I was hoping he'd get the hint that I'm dissolving our friendship but he's not taking the bait. It's always uncomfortable to tell somebody you don't want to be friends anymore but it looks like I'll have to do it.

I've found that I'm becoming more of a recluse in sobriety and I don't mean that in a negative way. I've pared down the list of people I associate with and I'm much happier than I ever was.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:32 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Yes, Mags, fingers crossed and prayers lifted. Soon, as the nests are identified, the nests will be cordoned off with stakes and tape to alert beach goers of their locations and to prevent pedestrian damage. Homes and businesses along the shore are limited to certain types of outdoor lighting and shine angles are to be directed away from the shore so that the newly hatched ones are not confused as to the path to the sea.

And speaking of turtles, I hope our trachs is doing well. Love to you, trachs.
That's so nice to hear that as many precautions as possible are put into place for the little turtles.

Bon voyage little ones.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

whoop whoop Friday night & on my way home! not many drunk people on the train for a Friday.

stay safe this weekend everyone - no falling into Heffalump traps!
Old 05-03-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
saoutchik

12.15am so technically Saturday here.

I am the not so proud owner of a 50% share in the wooden spoon at Crazy Golf tonight (that means joint last place) A few competitors were on meds tonight ie they were not drinking either so I lost my usual sober advantage.

bim "siding" ??

Best wishes to everyone staying sober, there is some terrible news on the Newcomers threads today, this disease, illness, condition or whatever you want to call it is a killer.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

"Siding" is the exterior finish of a building. We are getting a completely new exterior of our buildings, everything from the frame out, so windows, doors, roof, moisture and pest barrier, exterior finish ( in this case, a fiber cement composite material called Hardie Siding that looks like wood.)

It will look like this, with the shingle look above the belly band, and plank appearance below. Expensive, lasts forever, paint only every 20 years or so. It's what most new construction is using these days over here.

Pretty sure James Hardie is a bajillionaire.

Hardie Siding

Old 05-03-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mr Hardies been dead about 100 years - but he started here in Australia. His successors got into trouble here for using asbestos in the fibro mix long after its health dangers were known.

Your mix should be fine Bim

D
Old 05-03-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Hawkeye, where do I start.

Over the weekends -
Plettenburgh Bay hikes, swimming with brown seals/touching one (never felt such softness), horse back safari, Paragliding, walking rescued cheetahs, visiting and being with wolves at the wolf sanctuary (I was even let into the gates of the highest hierarchy, which they don't allow visitors in usually, but the wolves had all responded well to me), feeding them a hard boiled egg (they ever so gently peel off the shell and then eat it), Sky diving over the Bay, alas also hitting a local bar, having more than 1 black label pint "man's beer," playing pool with locals, walking around the city and also the beach, shopping for cool outfits and getting plenty of souvenirs, sending unique postcards (which took 6 weeks to reach home lol), meeting new people, hanging out with other volunteers, great restaurants, going on a day trip to another ellie sanctuary....I'm sure I am forgetting other stuff.

During the week - volunteering with elephants, from physical work to research, every week day starting at 6:15 am - 6:30 pm, making cards out of ellie poop, learning so much about them and other species, volunteering also at the back office with paperwork, sometimes over night supervision of the elephants through camera's, or in person at the boma taking notes. Taking as many pictures as I could (I have to find a way to post my favorite), training rescue dog at lunch, meeting people from all over the world (other volunteers and locals)....such a good time, great weather, food, staying for free at the guest hotel over a weekend, fire pits....hold on.
Wow! where do I sign up?