Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

‘There’s an elephant in the room’ Weekenders 03 - 06 May 2019

Notices

‘There’s an elephant in the room’ Weekenders 03 - 06 May 2019

Old 05-02-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I’ve had a very rough week, and a lot of AV. I need to get through this weekend sober and keep working hard at getting my life back.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Baby animals always are great. Our zoo just had a new litter of snow leopard kittens but I’m not important enough to be able to see them, hah. But I always think how it's amazing that a lot of hooved mammals can just walk after less than a day. Nature is cool. MLD, fishing on a non motorized lake sounds incredibly peaceful.

Hang in there mariposa. Hopefully you get to relax this weekend. Stay strong.

Good night all, happy to be sober tonight and ready to get a good night’s sleep. ✌️
Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! Quick drive-by here. So good to see you all. Congratulations on four months Forwards! Mariposa, squash it. dPac, I I’m sending positive energy your way. Way to go with getting a second opinion. It never hurts.

Some of you may know that I made a big move across a big portion of America to the west at the end of winter, and I am enjoying it and getting acclimated. There are so many things to do here and the weather is supposed to be perfect this weekend, sunny in the upper 60sand lower 70s. Unfortunately I’m going to keep myself really busy being an emergency call for my new unit. I will make the best of it and stay out of trouble.

I got three offers on my home back in Illinois last week, and it was really an intense emotional day for me. The AV did cross over into my mind to “celebrate“ but I quickly squashed it as I didn’t want to wake up 10 years from now with a broken liver.

Today I was off and I went for a 7 mile hike just east of the Utah State line with a fellow nurse that I met in orientation. She and I are the same age and get along very well.

I wanted to share that last weekend I went to natural bridges national monument in Utah camping, and I never once thought about needing alcohol to make it ‘better’. A big plus of continuous sobriety.

I’m going to buy a round of “sober weekend” for everyone here, with a side dish of “no stress” please.

Blessings!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats again Forwards

D
Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Magsie

mariposa, good on ya for rejecting the av. it really does get easier, so it becomes like a tiny voice which has no way of persuading you. Almost like a child wanting it’s own way, once they know who’s boss, they tow the line.

Dragon, I didn’t realise it was bank holiday this weekend! Usually there are tons of ads for bank holiday sales!

Free2bme, I’ll second that thanks, sober weekend with no stress. Perfect.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Beautiful baby giraffe Bim, hope your new front door is just as nice

Dpac what animals do you look after at your Zoo?

I forgot to vote in the local elections yesterday ~ I actually had no idea it was yesterday. Must pay more attention!

I was too busy obsessively moving a solar light I bought around the garden to get the most sun, even stayed up till after dark to see it light up .. a total anti climax lol. It lite up alright but was irritating me glaring from the garden through the patio doors from the darkness.

Gonna move it again...

Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all.
It's that friday feeling
Time to get some coffee...
Later
Old 05-02-2019, 11:50 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Afternoon here, all. 1620 in Adelaide and winter apparently is here. Driest March/April in written record, so rain is most welcome. A very productive day- doing 'normie' things, including car stuff.

Support to all.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:02 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, means a lot to me that you care.
big hugs
Xx
Old 05-03-2019, 02:45 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Friday weekenders!

Dragon - yes, we have Monday as a another Bank Holiday. we have a little cluster of them at this time of year. Another one in late May & then nothing until August.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Happy Friday / Saturday folks!

One last duty to discharge today at work and then the lake for the weekend.
I've been on a laundry marathon and last load is in now washing away but I crept back into my warm bed (with clean, linden-scented bedding ) to enjoy my coffee and wait for the sun to finish her journey over my horizon.

I've got some grass seed to scatter after that--might as well take advantage of all that rain for germination since I can't plant much. Maybe it will dry out enough for a little mowing before I leave. Things grow fast and lush in our warm, humid environment here. . .
Old 05-03-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

While he was out buying that plywood I sneaked over to STDragon's house and took a photo of the new bathroom. It's coming along well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190503_130656.jpg (51.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-03-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Friday morning here, day 19. Just popping in to say I'll be popping in over this weekend with you all.
Mags - I love the title

If I could have I would have stayed in South Africa, but getting a working Visa is damn near impossible for foreigners.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Happy Friday Caprice--what was your favorite thing about SA?

petals, stay close this weekend

Dragon, really like how the bathroom is coming along--but those light fixtures and marble columns are a bit over-the-top, don't you think?
Old 05-03-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ha Ha, Sao.

DPac - one of our local zoos welcomed a new snow leopard cub on April 30. There hasn't been one born there since 2007. Fun! I'll have to try to get over there sometime this summer and see if I can get a glimpse of it.

The weekend is nearly here - I have to work tonight and tomorrow night, so it's not going to be much of one for me. The good news is, I won't have to work on a weekend again until November. I have a ton of yard work I should get to over the weekend. The weather should be ok for it. I'd rather relax and have fun. Yesterday I was thinking I should sell my house and just get an apartment. I can't right now, but in a few years I just might. I don't know. Maybe the solution is to start hiring people to do this sort of thing. My son helps me now, but he's going to leave the nest in the fall of 2020. And he's not really much help. LOL.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hawkeye, where do I start.

Over the weekends -
Plettenburgh Bay hikes, swimming with brown seals/touching one (never felt such softness), horse back safari, Paragliding, walking rescued cheetahs, visiting and being with wolves at the wolf sanctuary (I was even let into the gates of the highest hierarchy, which they don't allow visitors in usually, but the wolves had all responded well to me), feeding them a hard boiled egg (they ever so gently peel off the shell and then eat it), Sky diving over the Bay, alas also hitting a local bar, having more than 1 black label pint "man's beer," playing pool with locals, walking around the city and also the beach, shopping for cool outfits and getting plenty of souvenirs, sending unique postcards (which took 6 weeks to reach home lol), meeting new people, hanging out with other volunteers, great restaurants, going on a day trip to another ellie sanctuary....I'm sure I am forgetting other stuff.

During the week - volunteering with elephants, from physical work to research, every week day starting at 6:15 am - 6:30 pm, making cards out of ellie poop, learning so much about them and other species, volunteering also at the back office with paperwork, sometimes over night supervision of the elephants through camera's, or in person at the boma taking notes. Taking as many pictures as I could (I have to find a way to post my favorite), training rescue dog at lunch, meeting people from all over the world (other volunteers and locals)....such a good time, great weather, food, staying for free at the guest hotel over a weekend, fire pits....hold on.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I hope this works. My comment when I posted it was - My pic is a huge success, spread/shared far and wide. Start talking to me now before I become famous!

It was taken by pure chance on the field. I had the camera set at taking 5 action pics straight one after another. It was so random.

Yay - these were the 2 baby bulls.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Beautiful picture Caprice

I had no idea STDragon's bathroom was so small..
Old 05-03-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Super picture!

And I forgot to say, great to see you, Free, and I'm glad to hear things are going well for you.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Magsie

Caprice, great pic of the elephants. Love it.

Dragon, great bathroom, lol.