Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

‘There’s an elephant in the room’ Weekenders 03 - 06 May 2019

Notices

‘There’s an elephant in the room’ Weekenders 03 - 06 May 2019

Old 05-02-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sending good thoughts your way, Bim. Hope that life smoothes out soon for you. I can certainly relate to life’s rough edges - some have been downright sharp, lately.

Sending good thoughts your way, too, MLD,; I can remember those hormonal life disruptions well - some memories never fade!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm in too!

Winnie the Pooh is my all time fave, and probably will be forever. I should get a tattoo at some point.

STDragon, the end of your post rings so true. I still don't talk about it with anyone because I'm embarrassed, but I'm sure they all know anyway. I think I stopped early enough for it really to have a huge obvious impact on my life, but there are several events at which I wish I could go back and slap the drink(s) out of my hands.

MLD, I'm sure this is advice you've heard, but exercise helps. The meds I'm on cause me to have awful nightmares and I also can't take melatonin because it makes it worse. Sometimes exhausting yourself with a tough workout will do the trick. Idk. Just some advice. It def sounds like being in nature will be really nice. hang in there. Not sleeping right can really put a damper on things.

As for me, I'm working this weekend again (as per usual) at my local zoo. Gotta make that $$$. I'm also waiting on blood work I got done last week from my PCP after the first doc appt I had a few weeks ago ended up being a waste of time. Doctor was dismissive and rude, so I got a second opinion. Of course my anxiety brain is convinced he's gonna call me and tell me I'm dying.

Otherwise I will be checking in unlike last weekend where I was so busy I wanted to move to woods and just live off the land. Hope everyone has a lovely sober weekend and I look forward to reading about all of it.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hope that you get good and unworrisome news, dpac.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

DPac - I have been having the "living off the land" fantasy A LOT lately. Of course I can't actually do it because I actually like modern conveniences and I have no idea how to do most of the things living in the middle of nowhere requires, but it's a nice dream anyway. Maybe I need to rent a cabin in the woods for a week. I did that a few years ago and it was lovely. It had modern conveniences, but it was on a "no motors" lake so it was quiet and the fishing was good.

Hope it goes well with the new doctor.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A memorably-stellar Day 'round here yesterday...

My P/T Neighbor - a violent Alcoholic with 6 DUIs - has left the proverbial Building. The Ag Operation adjacent [~2,000' away] he *kinda* ran as a Junior Owner - mostly from afar - sold yesterday. He's now 2 Hours away [where he's stayed for Years], and not around periodically to make Life difficult for us. Like, putting in an illegal 'Spite' Gate to keep us off our own Land while we built this House. I ripped it out while he was in Jail on his 4th DUI. That was 1 of 2 times I almost pulled a Restraining Order, as the Sheriff suggested I do. The on-site Manager who actually runs the Joint and I are good Pals. He tells me the new Owner is an older, nice Guy from Aspen CO with Money who's carrying on the Operation with his 2 Daughters. Cosmic thanks be to Odin & Wotan!

This now-Late Stage Alcoholic Neighbor taught me a lot about Addict Behavior. Some Years ago, he emptied a 10 Bullet Clip 'in my general direction', to use that Monty Python line. As fast as he could pull the Trigger repeatedly. I returned the favor, and shot back. I learned in Middle School about how to handle Bullies, and steadfast resolve settles such confrontations one way or another. He settled down quite a bit after I shot towards him. 19 Years on, we're finally free. And, I'm permanently Sober.

The Universe is happy for us as well, so Sunset last Night was a good 'un. And, sincere congrats Forward!

-> A Hat Tip to Caramel a few Weeks ago here for the reference to how Pismo Beach CA was named. We hit the Beach there in >2 Weeks, and the Research I subsequently delved into from that Tip will make for a much more enjoyable stay. Plus, not unlike pulling an All-Nighter at University, this Trip is providing a good deadline for me to bust on assorted Trailer Upgrades.

In keeping with the most-interesting Theme this Week [thanks, Mags], here's a little Spoken Word Tune from a favorite Prog Rock Group of mine. Perhaps the most interesting ~5 Minutes of sound you'll hear all Day...

~ 'Elephant Talk' ~ King Crimson ~

Old 05-02-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Tony Levin, Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp

THANK YOU for that, Mesa Man!

Took my son to see King Crimson a couple of years ago. It was amazing. He's a big fan, even though he was only 15 at the time. Wants to play like Robert Fripp. He's getting there...
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maybe it was 3 years ago. This is from the same tour. I thought my ears were going to bleed when they played this. It was LOUD. But the sound engineering was pretty much perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3028oDEKZo4
Old 05-02-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I have tried melatonin. It makes me have terrible nightmares.
Agreed. It either worked great or produced vivid color, sometimes nightmarish dreams. Not consistent.

Not offering medical advice, but this is a good read-

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...efits#section1
Old 05-02-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Interesting, Lunar. I'll do some more research. I'm super careful with anything I take but this does sound somewhat promising.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks for the new weekender Mags.
It's going home from work time
Oh YES I'm in too.
Later..
Old 05-02-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Same for me too with Melatonin. I thought I had bought a dodgy batch online. I don't think it is licensed in the UK.

I do now take a sleep medication prescribed by my Dr, I have to otherwise I don't sleep.

Interesting tune Mesaman, not sure its gonna get on my playlist! (If I actually had one)

Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lunar View Post
Agreed. It either worked great or produced vivid color, sometimes nightmarish dreams. Not consistent.

Not offering medical advice, but this is a good read-

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...efits#section1
Thanks so much, lunar. This looks promising.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good one, MLD. Thanks for that!

My University Band played that same Tune as our closer in a big Show at Year end. I can't read Music, so I just memorized the entire piece by rote.

My Bass Hero Tony Levin is playing a version of the Music Man Bass I had - and customized - later on.

Melatonin really helped me when I had to slog off an Int'l Long Haul Flight, and give a Tech Class or Lecture in the next Day or two...
Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope you get through these bumps in the road biminiblue. Maybe a part time job would be helpful if you could find one. I don't just mean for the money either.

Congratulations on 4 months Forwards.

I think King Crimson are playing in London about now - I saw some ads on the escalators at my Tube station.

I was reading a bit about a US actor named Dana Andrews who's heyday was the late 1940's. He never became a really big star likely because of his alcoholism but he was one of the first, probably the first Hollywood actor to publically acknowledge his alcoholism rather than the spin of being a drinker or "hellraiser" type as was commonplace at that time. He did his bit in moving the dial in getting alcoholism talked about in a grown up way. He made it too, didn't drink after 1967/8 and died in 1992 in his mid 80s.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thank you for the well wishes guys. 4 months feels pretty good...

So today's amusement is that it's official; membership and participation in SR is now a written part of my formal mental health care plan... What an amazing community this is!

So, I guess I'm in here for another sober bank holiday weekend. Very glad to be here...

Forwards.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

congratulations Forwards, four months is fantastic!

sorry you're having a tough time Bim, hope you can find a way through it. I'm rooting for you.

Melatonin is only available on prescription in the UK, & even then only for over-55's for some reason. I had an American friend send me some but it just gave me terrible restless leg syndrome (even worse than usual), which is the same as the antihistamine sleep aids like Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) do to me.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks Sao and andy.

Yes, work is on the mental health agenda.

Today ended up a big success. The giraffe at the zoo had her baby at 5AM this morning after a 15 month gestation, and I got a new front door thanks to the construction. Finally. On both!

There's a giraffe in the room

Baby giraffe pics
Old 05-02-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

awww, baby Giraffe...

Another bank holiday in the UK?

I'm knackered, had a minor set back on the bathroom that required me to go out and get some 3/8 plywood. The shop was all out of 4'x4' so I had to buy an entire 8' board and have them cut it in half. (Wouldn't sell me just half). Then I get out to my car and realize my tie down straps are not in the trunk as I had expected. So back into the store I go for some rope, but the isle is closed because they are getting some boxes down from up high.

Anyways, got the final bits of wall paper off and the vanity disassembled and removed. Hope to start the new flooring by this weekend.

I recalled one of my moms jokes today about scotts or irish, I can't remember, and how you know when they are moving 'cause they've taken the wall paper down. (Mom was British, from biddenden) .
Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Here's one for the effect of patience. My car- front 'parking' light (not main headlight, or indicator) has blown. Went to local auto parts shop- where they fit bulbs for a fee. The guy looked at the headlight assembly and then gave me a very complicated string of bolts, brackets, grill supports that would all had to be removed, he could do for 15. Brain tells me my car is Japanese- you know those efficient, practical people? So said no, then looked in the car's manual. The bulb is accessed in the wheel bay- a 15 second job.

Simples.