Notices

Bought a bottle but don't plan on drinking it

Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Do you really want to risk having to go thru that first week of withdrawal again? That's the grade if you fail this "test".

Here's a test. See if you're stronger than your addiction then dump it out.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I once slept with one single beer next to my bed for a month back the first time I tried to quit. I felt very similar to you, Tetrax. It was there so I could technically drink it whenever I wanted, I just didn’t want to.

Unfortunatley, like many here. I did end up drinking it. I think it was after a long hot day at my weekend job (I work at a zoo) and I rationalized a “shower beer” to relax. Something I’d do all the time, except I always had more to drink after my one in the shower. And I’m sorry to tell you, the anxiety that hit me after I finished that beer and realized I had nothing else in the house caused me to go back out into the heat and walk the 10 blocks to the liquor store for a box of wine. I had no intention of doing so but the second I took a sip of that damn beer it was over. It took me almost a year to get my **** together again.

I get where you’re coming from, I really do. I personally think you’re quite intelligent. But you can’t outsmart this **** dude. It’s a parasite and it’ll wring you til you’re literally dead.

I’m rooting for you so ******* hard Tet. Please throw it out.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:57 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The Beast wants to take your soul and every ounce of happiness you have, Tetrax. Did you throw it out?
Old 05-02-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I think you really need to ask yourself for why? Truthfully, deep down, what's the real reason behind the bravado.
It may be a "security blanket " just in case you need relief from whatever trigger, emotion, state of mind or situation. You wanna be sure your safety net is there no matter, just in case.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

With all due respect to the last few posters above, in my experience alcoholics buy alcohol for one reason.

D
Yep - to drink it.

I never bought alcohol in order to NOT drink it. Even before I was a raging alcoholic. I bought wine at the store along with groceries because I'd have a glass with dinner, or friends over and we'd drink a bottle....we all know where these stories have gone to get us HERE.

Update, Tetrax?

And, as said above - what is it you want a group of alcoholics in recovery to say?

I was so thrilled to see your raging arguments with us turn to - a start in sobriety. I also wondered how many days it would be til you came back with some version of this, if I'm being straight up with you as I was on your intro thread to us.

What's going to happen? Today? Day 7, 8 or ground zero?

Dude, you know what to do. And - whatever you do, let us know & we do get it....you're not going to stop being welcome here.

I just hope you stop taking the very real chance you won't get to come back here again.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Even the title of this thread makes me uncomfortable, in my humble opinion... BAD idea.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I strongly suggest getting rid of it immediately
Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your responses. I'm successfully on Day 8 but the bottle is still there. I think the compulsion of buying it has helped me further see how much of a raging alcoholic I am. I still seem to need evidence, in spite of my past withdrawals. I have no compulsion to drink it; I also have no compulsion to chuck it out. It kind of feels like struggling to delete your ex off Facebook; I can't quite fully let go. It feels like the last remnant of a life: though a life lived poorly, it was still my life.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

While I can understand your thinking on some level, I still strongly believe this could be a real turning point for you. If you can bring yourself to get rid of it, as hard as it might be to let go of that last remnant, I believe you will feel a huge sense of relief. I could be wrong, but maybe give it a try and report back on your feelings?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
While I can understand your thinking on some level, I still strongly believe this could be a real turning point for you. If you can bring yourself to get rid of it, as hard as it might be to let go of that last remnant, I believe you will feel a huge sense of relief. I could be wrong, but maybe give it a try and report back on your feelings?
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Tetrax I hope you pour the booze down the drain. I'm confident it will do wonders for your morale.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
It kind of feels like struggling to delete your ex off Facebook; I can't quite fully let go. It feels like the last remnant of a life: though a life lived poorly, it was still my life.
And just like the FB scenario, letting go is going to be necessary if you really want to get over your addiction too. You say that you need to see more evidence, but there is nothing left to see. You already know that drinking any amount of alcohol, ever, will result in bad consequences. Your addiction doesn't like that but you have to accept it and move forward or "let go" so to speak. Your alcohol purchase is the same thing as if you were to keep sending message to your EX on FB - it will end badly, always.

You are certainly free to make your own decisions, but this one is a bad decision all around plain and simple. We know because we've seen people make them before and we've made them ourselves.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I think the compulsion of buying it has helped me further see how much of a raging alcoholic I am.
It kind of feels like struggling to delete your ex off Facebook; I can't quite fully let go. It feels like the last remnant of a life: though a life lived poorly, it was still my life.
tetrax,this reads like your trying real hard to find a reason to have a bottle in your posession. it sure seems theres been a few reasons youve given. more like trying to find an excuse maybe?

i had no problem deleting my ex from my life let along social media.
idk,tetrax-from what ive read in your past threads it doesnt read like much of a life ya had before. reads more like what i had- just an existence.
i dont miss any of that because now im living. nothing there i didnt want to let go of.

you can let go if you make the decision to work for a new life.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your responses. I'm successfully on Day 8 but the bottle is still there. I think the compulsion of buying it has helped me further see how much of a raging alcoholic I am. I still seem to need evidence, in spite of my past withdrawals. I have no compulsion to drink it; I also have no compulsion to chuck it out. It kind of feels like struggling to delete your ex off Facebook; I can't quite fully let go. It feels like the last remnant of a life: though a life lived poorly, it was still my life.
Why must you torture yourself? What will you end up doing with the bottles? You think you'll end up building a shrine? Where are you going with this and why?

No compulsion now, good on you, how about having no compulsion to buy a bottle in the first place?

Also, not all relationships end badly. I still have 2 past of mine on FB and everyone has moved on with their lives for the better.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

The evidence is you're posting on a sobriety internet board, you've gone through withdrawal before, and you can't stop thinking about a bottle of alcohol you bought.

Those are all things people with alcoholism do. They are all diagnosable symptoms of alcoholism.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't quite fully let go. It feels like the last remnant of a life: though a life lived poorly, it was still my life.
There's a better life waiting. Its a leap of faith - but it's a leap well worth making.

Don;t be like me and regret the twenty years I spent trying to find a way to drink non destructively.

There's no way to do that if you drink like I did. My drinking style was crash and burn.

It's like willing a bullet not to leave a wound when you shoot yourself in the foot.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

so among other things, i am a former crackhead. would ANYONE see the "benefit" from keeping a rock or a pipe ON HAND so i can prove how strong i am against the impulse???

one drink, one hit, one pill....for the addict, if it's there and the urge hits, it will get consumed. the AV never runs out of rationale to keep feeding the beast.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Your going to drink it, you need to put " yet " at the end of the title of this thread.
There is a lot of experience telling you to get rid of it, you should listen to the experienced in recovery they can save your life.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
AA member

Stop discussing it with yourself.Let go of the end of the towel and throw it out.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:30 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Ten years ago, my ex managed two years, by keeping a couple of cans in his house. It worked for him but it's VERY unusual that it works for anyone else. It certainly never worked for me.
Sadly after the two years he went back to it (not with the saved cans, they'd been dumped by me long before) and last thing I heard he was seen walking up a Glasgow street, off his face wearing odd shoes and being ridiculed by teenagers.
My honest suggestion and I KNOW how hard this is to do - is get rid of the damed bottle. It might make you feel 'safe' in that you're not all wound up wondering about whether to go to the shop for booze, but it won't make the 2 years unopened like my ex's did.
WIshing you strength and knowing how hard it will be to dump that poison x
Old 05-03-2019, 01:55 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Day 9. So I'm having a great time with family, getting great sleep, and generally not thinking about that bottle. The way I see it is when I go back to my city next week I'm basically gonna have that constant temptation anyway (two 24-hour off-licences within five minutes' walk of my house), so I may as well get used to it.