Notices

DUI Update...

Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I agree with Frick and others. Don't lie, but you aren't obligated to volunteer information that is not asked of you. Know the difference. You'll be fine.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jad123 View Post
It will never happen again because I won't drive drunk ever again, not even after a sip or anything!
so you plan on still drinking just not getting behind the wheel?

i have 2 DUI's on my record in michigan. i got sober 13 months after sentencing for the 2nd one and a month off of probation. that was in 2005. those 2 on my record dont bother me a bit because i got into recovery and aint that man any more. if others want to make a decision based on them, so be it. those DUIs dont define who i am today.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
so you plan on still drinking just not getting behind the wheel?

i have 2 DUI's on my record in michigan. i got sober 13 months after sentencing for the 2nd one and a month off of probation. that was in 2005. those 2 on my record dont bother me a bit because i got into recovery and aint that man any more. if others want to make a decision based on them, so be it. those DUIs dont define who i am today.
Have these held you back from getting a job and making a living? What industry are you in?
Old 05-01-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
You can't be serious? No don't do that. I used to hire people, not as an HR person, but as a manager. I think its fine not to volunteer information during an interview if you aren't asked directly "have you had a DUI?". I have never asked that as a hiring manager. I believe applications ask 'have you been convicted of a felony?'. So you have a choice, if you have a felony DUI you need to be honest. Or move on. If your DUI isn't a felony than say no. If you get offered the job and HR asks about a misdemeanor DUI you tell them the truth. If you don't get the job ya don't get the job. As was stated, companies vary with respect to their policies. And unfortunately DUI's are extremely common so companies do tend to look the other way. I would suggest allowing some time to pass where one can. If you are employed, stay put. Give it some time. In a few years it will be easier to explain. I don't think I would have denied a qualified person that I like for having a standard DUI. I would deny a liar. For sure.

I agree with the previous input that if the job doesn't involve driving or teaching it may not be an issue. And I believe you have to check a box allowing the company to do a back ground check. So you'll know up front what's gonna happen.

Thank you for your opinion. I will never lie about it. I'm not proud of it, but it happened and I do regret it. If anything this ordeal has made me a stronger person as I am now able to deal with much more stressful situations, etc. The only thing I am thankful for is that no one was hurt and nothing was damaged, it was a simple traffic stop for 8mph over the speed limit :\.

So if I am understanding correctly. This might hurt me in terms of company policies but those vary by company. So it is still possible for me to get a job in my industry (all desk jobs). I guess onto my next question. If someone was more qualified and a match for the culture but had a DUI from a year ago and someone was "alright or average" who would you hire?
Old 05-01-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
DO NOT LIE. It will be found. Period.

I was extremely worried when I applied for a full-time job at the same institution I was working for part-time when I got my 3rd DUI. I knew they were going to do a background check, and it's a state job. I told the truth, and it never came up as being an issue. In my state a third is still a misdemeanor, but I worried anyway. It really depends on the policies of the company, and what you do there. Also in my state, a DUI NEVER leaves your record. Unless you go to a lot of expense and trouble to try to get it cleared from your record, which I understand from other people (and from lawyers) doesn't always work. Depends on the severity.

Canada will not let you in with a DUI on your record. You can apply for "rehabilitation" after a certain period of time (5 years for a first, subsequent DUI's are even more difficult and sometimes impossible) but it's a time-consuming and expensive process. You can take your chances at the border, because they don't check every single person's record, but imagine what a bummer it would be to be turned away. It doesn't matter if you are flying or driving across the border. It doesn't matter if you promise not to drive there. The only way I know of that you can be in Canada legally (unless you have received rehabilitation from Canada) with a DUI on your record is to get on a cruise ship in the US, get off and walk around in Canada, and then get back on the ship. I have done a lot of research on this. I would love to go on a fishing trip in Canada, but I have resigned myself to probably never stepping foot in Canada again. with 3 DUI's on my record, the chances of them ever letting me in are slim to none. I'm going to try to start the process for rehabilitation next year, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

But as far as employment goes - try not to worry about it too much. It sounds like you have the sort of job where it will probably not be an issue. You might run across a particularly strict policy somewhere, but as long as you are honest and stay sober and it never happens again, you will probably be fine.

Wow thank you so much for sharing and volunteering this information!! It serves as proof that I still have a chance.... I'm just over 30 years old with nothing else on my record. I've got 11 years of experience in my industry. And now a DUI on my record.

So you're saying that it varies by company?
Old 05-01-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
This really doesn't work. One needs a job to survive; so it's probably best to just lie about the DUI on any job application and hope they don't check.
This is just plain wrong.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I had just passed a grueling CPA exam (20 hours). I had to let them know anything that would keep me from obtaining my license. I told them about my DUI. I got my license. I have never had any problem getting a job in the 25 years since. And certainly getting a professional license is a big thing. You will be OK.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Jad, it would depend on how you are doing now, but I would be inclined to hire someone more on if you had otherwise good references, proved yourself at work, your character and had the better skills. Really, the incident wouldn't be a deal breaker, unless it had impacted your job. We all make mistakes and your personal life is your personal life, just don't bring those problems to work.

*I had....history now.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It has been less than a year since your arrest and conviction.

I understand this has probably weighed heavily on you mind during that time, but I don't think it is as devastating to your future as you might think it is.

You are sober now; keep it that way. The more time that elapses from this event, the less significant it becomes. As a society we are pretty forgiving of people who screwup, show remorse, and then don't screw up again. This event, while unfortunate, does not define you.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
I had just passed a grueling CPA exam (20 hours). I had to let them know anything that would keep me from obtaining my license. I told them about my DUI. I got my license. I have never had any problem getting a job in the 25 years since. And certainly getting a professional license is a big thing. You will be OK.
Wow thanks for sharing your story. How inspiring! Proof that long term it becomes less and less significant.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
It has been less than a year since your arrest and conviction.

I understand this has probably weighed heavily on you mind during that time, but I don't think it is as devastating to your future as you might think it is.

You are sober now; keep it that way. The more time that elapses from this event, the less significant it becomes. As a society we are pretty forgiving of people who screwup, show remorse, and then don't screw up again. This event, while unfortunate, does not define you.
Thanks so much Zebra! I was arrested in July of 2018 and Convicted in October of 2018. The year has moved fast since, which I am thankful for!! I cannot wait until this is further and further behind me.

I did have a substance abuse evaluation done by a counselor and it was found that I do not have an issue with being addicted to alcohol. However I will say that previously to this incident I had drinks at social events. It was the norm for me, I'd go to a social event and order a drink. Now I've learned to socialize without having a drink in my hand and it's a great feeling.

I am glad society is forgiving and even more glad my actions didn't hurt anyone or damage any property. I would literally stand up in front of everyone and tell them what an idiot I was for making this mistake. I mean my life was going great and I really screwed up, there was no benefit to this mistake and it's my own fault.. I am ashamed and sorry, I literally feel emotional pain everyday because of this in some form.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:26 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Why do they care if a teacher has a DUI ? Why are they STILL expected to be the moral, upstanding, nuns? They are allowed mistakes, do they take kids from their parents when they get a DUI? No. And the kids live with those people, the teacher just teaches them. A DUI doesn’t mean they’re wasted constantly. I wish people would realize teachers are just people too.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
Why do they care if a teacher has a DUI ? Why are they STILL expected to be the moral, upstanding, nuns? They are allowed mistakes, do they take kids from their parents when they get a DUI? No. And the kids live with those people, the teacher just teaches them. A DUI doesn’t mean they’re wasted constantly. I wish people would realize teachers are just people too.
It doesn't make sense to me either, but I read about one here who after 20 years got his DUI off his record. No one was the wiser.

Jad - I agree about the time period, it's still recent, but give it some time, if the topic even comes up. My understanding is that you would like to get promoted within the same company? You can look into it unbeknownst to them before you apply (or at other companies), maybe they won't even ask, or maybe they're lenient on their policy with regards to a DUI. I would in the meantime check it out.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thank you for your opinion. I will never lie about it. I'm not proud of it, but it happened and I do regret it. If anything this ordeal has made me a stronger person as I am now able to deal with much more stressful situations, etc. The only thing I am thankful for is that no one was hurt and nothing was damaged, it was a simple traffic stop for 8mph over the speed limit :\.

So if I am understanding correctly. This might hurt me in terms of company policies but those vary by company. So it is still possible for me to get a job in my industry (all desk jobs). I guess onto my next question. If someone was more qualified and a match for the culture but had a DUI from a year ago and someone was "alright or average" who would you hire?
In my experience the hiring manager lets HR know they want to make an offer. HR makes the offer based on the salary and bonus recommendations from the manager, and within the parameters of the position being filled. HR then does the back ground check, not the hiring manager. I have never failed a back ground check or had a potential candidate fail one, so I'm not sure what happens. I'm guessing that HR would contact the candidate (the offer goes out with the caveat 'assuming you pass the back ground check' or whatever) and ask them to explain the flag. Or they would just rescind the offer. I'm not sure they could even legally tell the hiring manager 'why' the offer had been rescinded. If there was a back up candidate then yeah, I suppose based on the input from the hiring manager they would then extent another offer. I don't know.

I really think the message here is try not to stress. If you can stay put for a bit, do it. If an opportunity for advancement comes give it a whirl. It is what it is and all the answers here, while illuminating, won't change the outcome. I would imagine you could do some research of the HR policies of any potential new opportunity to know in advance what their position is on DUI's. But I don't know.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
I said teachers and I really have no personal experience. I just know a teacher that lost his job because of a misdemeanor DUI. It might be different public to private, county to county, state to state. I just know that because teachers do work with children, they can be held to a higher standard. Right or wrong? Don't know. I also know that day cares can be tough on this, often because the care givers drive the kids around.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
In my experience the hiring manager lets HR know they want to make an offer. HR makes the offer based on the salary and bonus recommendations from the manager, and within the parameters of the position being filled. HR then does the back ground check, not the hiring manager. I have never failed a back ground check or had a potential candidate fail one, so I'm not sure what happens. I'm guessing that HR would contact the candidate (the offer goes out with the caveat 'assuming you pass the back ground check' or whatever) and ask them to explain the flag. Or they would just rescind the offer. I'm not sure they could even legally tell the hiring manager 'why' the offer had been rescinded. If there was a back up candidate then yeah, I suppose based on the input from the hiring manager they would then extent another offer. I don't know.

I really think the message here is try not to stress. If you can stay put for a bit, do it. If an opportunity for advancement comes give it a whirl. It is what it is and all the answers here, while illuminating, won't change the outcome. I would imagine you could do some research of the HR policies of any potential new opportunity to know in advance what their position is on DUI's. But I don't know.

Good point. That is true. Worrying or stressing about something is a complete waste of time. There is nothing I can do except work on improving my skills, talents and abilities with this time I have. Enviably I will switch companies one day and i'd like to say I picked up X, Y, Z skills by outside education or training in addition to my main set of skills at my job. Rather than sit here and do nothing but stress!!
Old 05-02-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
It doesn't make sense to me either, but I read about one here who after 20 years got his DUI off his record. No one was the wiser.

Jad - I agree about the time period, it's still recent, but give it some time, if the topic even comes up. My understanding is that you would like to get promoted within the same company? You can look into it unbeknownst to them before you apply (or at other companies), maybe they won't even ask, or maybe they're lenient on their policy with regards to a DUI. I would in the meantime check it out.

Thank you Caprice... I'm glad you shared your story and that you think I will get through this. If I'm able to switch jobs when the time comes and not have it be an issue, then I will be a happy person.

Probation will end, high insurance rates will end, and if this first and only thing on my record doesn't hurt me then I will be so thankful, blessed and happy...
Old 05-02-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I really hope you do. Find out though before applying so you can be prepared. If there's someone who got promoted at your company ask indirectly, "how did the interview go, what did they ask you?"
You can find out by word of mouth too without sounding off any alarms, office/work gossip is all too prevalent, or again by snooping into the company's policies. Best always to be prepared should an opportunity and interview arise, you know it.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thank you Caprice... I'm glad you shared your story and that you think I will get through this. If I'm able to switch jobs when the time comes and not have it be an issue, then I will be a happy person.

Probation will end, high insurance rates will end, and if this first and only thing on my record doesn't hurt me then I will be so thankful, blessed and happy...
And if it's something you really want, go for it, prepare an explanation of the event should it come up. I would find it hard to automatically deny someone purely based on your incident.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Here is another way to look at it.

I’m retired now, but in my previous position I hired a lot of professional people with advanced credentials. One of them I hired was an alcoholic, and I know this because she confided in me during the hiring process that she went to AA. (I didn’t tell her that I also was going to AA). She had also recently had gone through a difficult divorce. I hired her because she was highly skilled, I liked her honesty, and I wanted to give her a break as a fellow alcoholic (although she didn’t know that part).

And I also realized that by hiring her she would be thankful, loyal, and a pretty hard working employee. It worked out that way.

I’ve also hired people with impeccable resume’s who turned out to be total turds.