Notices

DUI Update...

Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jad123 View Post
I work in the media, advertising, marketing, creative industry in a desk job role. College degree with about 11 years of experience under my belt. So you're saying I still have a chance depending on company policy since I'm not doing driving roles?
Absolutely, it may be also depend upon which individual you come across.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Mariposa "The USA wouldn’t deny you over a DUI. "

Rest assured, fellow Canuck
I looked it up you're right. it's the other way around. Canada will deny a US citizen for a Dui
Old 05-01-2019, 03:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
I looked it up you're right. it's the other way around. Canada will deny a US citizen for a Dui
So you just wouldn't be allowed back, is all. :P

I thought it went both ways. When did Canada become so cross? I got my license back since, and I could even rent a car here since I don't need one anymore and the insurance alone is like a second mortgage.

You could definitely fly too, another option.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Did you use this experience as motivation to get and stay sober? That would go a long way in any interview.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I got a DUI back about 23 years ago and in the UK any criminal conviction is considered as 'spent' after a period of time - from memory a DUI is about 6 years. Once the conviction is spent then you do not have to declare it on any job application apart from where you are applying for employment with vulnerable groups (e.g. teaching, childcare, old folks, medicine, etc.). This is due to a law in the UK called the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Also, on a standard Criminal Records Check (CRC) it will not show up as it is 'spent' bascially meaning that in the eyes of the law, you are free from it.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The USA likes to keep you down for past mistakes. It has a lot to do with keeping the rich rich and the poor poor.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
Did you use this experience as motivation to get and stay sober? That would go a long way in any interview.
This really doesn't work. One needs a job to survive; so it's probably best to just lie about the DUI on any job application and hope they don't check.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

DO NOT LIE. It will be found. Period.

I was extremely worried when I applied for a full-time job at the same institution I was working for part-time when I got my 3rd DUI. I knew they were going to do a background check, and it's a state job. I told the truth, and it never came up as being an issue. In my state a third is still a misdemeanor, but I worried anyway. It really depends on the policies of the company, and what you do there. Also in my state, a DUI NEVER leaves your record. Unless you go to a lot of expense and trouble to try to get it cleared from your record, which I understand from other people (and from lawyers) doesn't always work. Depends on the severity.

Canada will not let you in with a DUI on your record. You can apply for "rehabilitation" after a certain period of time (5 years for a first, subsequent DUI's are even more difficult and sometimes impossible) but it's a time-consuming and expensive process. You can take your chances at the border, because they don't check every single person's record, but imagine what a bummer it would be to be turned away. It doesn't matter if you are flying or driving across the border. It doesn't matter if you promise not to drive there. The only way I know of that you can be in Canada legally (unless you have received rehabilitation from Canada) with a DUI on your record is to get on a cruise ship in the US, get off and walk around in Canada, and then get back on the ship. I have done a lot of research on this. I would love to go on a fishing trip in Canada, but I have resigned myself to probably never stepping foot in Canada again. with 3 DUI's on my record, the chances of them ever letting me in are slim to none. I'm going to try to start the process for rehabilitation next year, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

But as far as employment goes - try not to worry about it too much. It sounds like you have the sort of job where it will probably not be an issue. You might run across a particularly strict policy somewhere, but as long as you are honest and stay sober and it never happens again, you will probably be fine.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Really, even if you fly in from the US? They do check everything and I've flown multiple times back and forth without any problems or worry. It hadn't even crossed my mind.

They can be so backwards here. I mean we've been having illegal immigration crisis' here for the past 3 years on our tax payers bill (free health care, lawyers, housing, food, financial assistance etc.)
They only turn back a few, after 2 years of digging, who are not real refugees or their country is deemed safe to live in.
Of course there are others who never turn themselves over and work under the table, but that's not good cuz you're not protected in any way and employers can take advantage of you as they please.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Those restrictions are only for non-Canadians. They can't really refuse you entry into your own home country. And the US doesn't have those restrictions.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes, it will depend on the company though - some have pretty lenient policies on the Criminal history, some are strict. I have worked in several companies, mostly larger size (over 10K employees) and DUI has never kept anyone from being hired.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Those restrictions are only for non-Canadians. They can't really refuse you entry into your own home country. And the US doesn't have those restrictions.
I skipped that "citizen" part. I still don't get it, they're so tough on you guys. I started clearing my 2 (9.5 years apart). After paying some $600 for the process, I thought it would suffice, but they're asking for more to continue...I just said F it, I don't even drive here, I can and did rent a car when needed, I can drive without restrictions, employment is not an issue...I asked for my $ back but of course never heard from the pardons office back.

Now, I almost forgot I need to go pay my freeloaders (I.e. the dogs') rent. That's a killer here. It's financially draining. Highest rent in the country is in this city, one of the only downsides, I do like the country side too but I digress...
Have a good one!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Life is good

I look at what I can do, embrace the good in life, pray, meditate, ask "for eyes to see, ears to hear and strength to embrace the illogical" and look for expected good surprises.

The practice of looking for good things gives me deeper trust in this recovery process.

Rebuilding A Good Reputation

1. Be Truthful

The first thing that can happen when your reputation is damaged is you lose other people’s trust. They no longer see you as the person you were before. That’s why your first goal is to rebuild that trust, and the best way to do that is to be honest and truthful.

2. Be Authentic

When you are authentic everything in life gets easier: You feel more confidence & clarity.

3. Be Proactive

Take up new hobbies and interests. It may seem counter-intuitive that if you want to get ahead at work, you should make time for a life outside of it. But career coaches and business leaders alike say that having a hobby is key to being able to handle work-life stress and thinking creatively.

Take Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, for example. He says that having a hobby shows a prospective employer that you have passion and drive. In fact, it's a question recruiters for the company will often ask job candidates.

7. Acceptance

Realize you aren't alone. Accepting things the way they are creates space for peacefulness and moving ahead in life.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

you can go to Europe right? I have and can, i also happen to have double citizenship CDN/EU, so i could even work there and do anything with no problem.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Life is good

Jad123,

Your threads tend to be about the DUI, consequences and fears from that.

One DUI has happened. It can be a strangely wrapped gift in that no one was hurt, you're caring about your future, etc.

Do you have a recovery program?

AA, addiction counseling, Al-Anon, whatever.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Mango, that's good stuff. I've always (and I guess many of us) had trouble with self acceptance or letting go. Without it, you remain chained.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yeah, I can go to Europe. I think there are a couple of other countries with similar restrictions, but I'm not sure which ones.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yeah, I can go to Europe. I think there are a couple of other countries with similar restrictions, but I'm not sure which ones.
Sorry Jad about drifting, there is hope, I know exactly how you feel too (never hurt anyone, paid my dues etc.)

MLD - what about going to south America and from there to Canada? Would going about it that way work?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi,
I think looking too far into the future is a waste of time. I would deal with that situation IF and when it comes up. Nothing you can do about it now until you are in front of it.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
This really doesn't work. One needs a job to survive; so it's probably best to just lie about the DUI on any job application and hope they don't check.
You can't be serious? No don't do that. I used to hire people, not as an HR person, but as a manager. I think its fine not to volunteer information during an interview if you aren't asked directly "have you had a DUI?". I have never asked that as a hiring manager. I believe applications ask 'have you been convicted of a felony?'. So you have a choice, if you have a felony DUI you need to be honest. Or move on. If your DUI isn't a felony than say no. If you get offered the job and HR asks about a misdemeanor DUI you tell them the truth. If you don't get the job ya don't get the job. As was stated, companies vary with respect to their policies. And unfortunately DUI's are extremely common so companies do tend to look the other way. I would suggest allowing some time to pass where one can. If you are employed, stay put. Give it some time. In a few years it will be easier to explain. I don't think I would have denied a qualified person that I like for having a standard DUI. I would deny a liar. For sure.

I agree with the previous input that if the job doesn't involve driving or teaching it may not be an issue. And I believe you have to check a box allowing the company to do a back ground check. So you'll know up front what's gonna happen.