Notices

Almost 30 days since last drink - still not feeling good

Old 04-30-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 30 days since last drink - still not feeling good

Hello and thanks for the forum. I am approaching 30 days with no alcohol drinking. I am also about 30 days from not taking any Benadryl, which I almost always took while drinking to help me stay asleep.

I am in my early 40’s, generally healthy, semi-active. Height weight proportional, not on any medications. One of the reasons I wanted to stop was to get my life back under control. I have been drinking fairly consistently since 2013. Prior to that I was sober for about 10.5 years.

I’ve had a lot of vague health issues that I’ve always associated with drinking. First is anxiety. Whenever I would drink too much, I would suffer from extreme anxiety the next few days. It was so bad I could barely drive or leave the house. I also suffer from chronic seborrihic dermatitis I.e. flaky patches in my hair and sometimes other areas of my body like firearms and around my lips.

I had had hoped that by day 30 off of both of these substances I would be feeling better. The anxiety especially during driving, is gone and I am thankful for that. However, I am feeling kinda “blah”, lethargic, not excited about anything, lacking motivation, feeling depressed, intensely introspective and feeling just crappy in general. During drinking I would rarely get nausea or throw up, but I would always have transient abdominal pains and bloating which I figured would go away with drinking. While the bloating has gone away, I still feel transient abdominal pain all through my abdomen sometimes in one area sometimes in others. It comes and goes, somedays are better than others.

I didnt really have any withdrawal symptoms per se, just lots of anxiety in the beginning which tapered off to feeling better and better until about 2 weeks in and then I just plateaued and for the past 2 weeks I have just been in a fog.

Can anyone relate to this? What did you do, how did you approach the problem and what made it better? Is this just a waiting game at this point? Any information you could share would be great. Feeling this way really stinks, esp when I was hoping to be feeling really free at this point and no so dark and and condemned and hopeless. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can definitely relate - had the driving anxiety, standing in the line at the store anxiety, panic attack out of nowhere anxiety...not fun at all. Most of it did taper off after a month or two but it never went away fully and I dealt with it for literally years.

What I finally did was accept that i might actually have clinical anxiety and got help for it via a counselor. I cannot believe I waited so long to do it and really wish I would have done it long before I did. It took me a couple of visits to find a counselor that I could work with, but i've found a whole list of "tools" that have made all those daily symptoms pretty much be gone for good. And when they do creep back in I have lots of ways to stop them in their tracks.

I also made the mistake going in thinking that there was going to be some magic pill, technique or list of steps that I would take to "cure" me of anxiety forever. Turns out it's a lot like addiction - it's something that's woven into the fabric of who I am - but there's lots I can do to life without the symptoms.

My list of tools is: Continued counseling/therapy ( I go about once a month now ) , I tried a couple of meds too but don't take them anymore. I use meditation and mindfulness, exercise ( even just a walk ), watching my diet and cutting back/out sugars and caffeine, getting enough sleep, reading, and that's just the beginning.

As addicts part of us wants instant gratification - but it simply takes time. It's a cliche that is very true - your mind needs time to learn new ways of thinking and it doesn't happen overnight.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congratulations on 30 days! That's awesome!

I suggest you see your doctor and tell him/her just what you told us. It could be some of your symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with drinking.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After I quit drinking I experienced physiological and psychological symptoms for quite awhile. From brain fog and depression all the way to sleep apnea and ED believe it or not.

Over time these symptoms have gradually gotten better and some have disappeared completely. However there are still days after two years of sobriety when I feel a little off. Yesterday I sensed a panic attack coming on. It didn't materialize into a full blown panic but the heart started thumping and the nerves started to race a bit before it subsided.

Based on my personal experience and reading the experiences of others with more time than me, things get much better with more sobriety but it's possible we are never back to 100% normal. The stretches of feeling good get longer and with experience we learn better coping mechanisms. Progress not perfection is the name of the game.

As always I'll include the caveat that this is not medical advice and you should see a doctor if you're concerned.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 30 days RN that great!

I would not be too concerned just yet as apart from the dermatitis your symptoms are fairly common to those in early recovery and it takes a while to recover from several years of heavy drinking. Obviously if the symptoms do persist for much longer then a visit to the doctor would be best. Maybe the dermatitis is not connected to your drinking so that is worth checking out.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I very often went several days and even a week without drinking over the years and when I quit I assumed i didn’t have any withdrawals but looking back I most certainly did. The feeling lousy and brain fog I would say changed a lot around the 90 day mark for me. And it gets better all the time. All I can tell you is to try and be patient. I know we all want to see results faster. But I promise they do come.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am on day 5. Had 20 days in January, a couple weeks in Feb and earlier this month. I am also early 40's and have developed eczema which involves red, flaky, itchy rashes on my face legs and arms. Also, anxiety is constant. I am not feeling healthy at all. I am 20 pounds overweight and sleep deprived. All related to my alcoholism. I would guess my immune system is weakened. 15 years of alcoholism had caught up and at my age, I just can't continue like this.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's common coming off alcohol; especially the anxiety.

Congratulations on 30 days!
Old 04-30-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with the rest here and can confirm the abdominal stuff as well. I can only assume poisoning myself daily like I did messed with my gut flora. I was put on something to help with it (still take it daily at day 140) but even then it took around 60 to 90 days for my bowels and movements to return to normal. Give yourself time and maybe see a doctor about the gut stuff as well as the anxiety.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
I am on day 5. Had 20 days in January, a couple weeks in Feb and earlier this month. I am also early 40's and have developed eczema which involves red, flaky, itchy rashes on my face legs and arms. Also, anxiety is constant. I am not feeling healthy at all. I am 20 pounds overweight and sleep deprived. All related to my alcoholism. I would guess my immune system is weakened. 15 years of alcoholism had caught up and at my age, I just can't continue like this.
I can empathize with this. Also in early forties and finding that any alcohol causes such a hangover it's amazing. When I stop for a couple of weeks my aches and pains lessen and I feel app around better. I will be 43 this summer and am going to give it an honest go. As you said, I just can't continue like this
Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Radicallynormal View Post
Hello and thanks for the forum. I am approaching 30 days with no alcohol drinking. I am also about 30 days from not taking any Benadryl, which I almost always took while drinking to help me stay asleep.

I am in my early 40’s, generally healthy, semi-active. Height weight proportional, not on any medications. One of the reasons I wanted to stop was to get my life back under control. I have been drinking fairly consistently since 2013. Prior to that I was sober for about 10.5 years.

I’ve had a lot of vague health issues that I’ve always associated with drinking. First is anxiety. Whenever I would drink too much, I would suffer from extreme anxiety the next few days. It was so bad I could barely drive or leave the house. I also suffer from chronic seborrihic dermatitis I.e. flaky patches in my hair and sometimes other areas of my body like firearms and around my lips.

I had had hoped that by day 30 off of both of these substances I would be feeling better. The anxiety especially during driving, is gone and I am thankful for that. However, I am feeling kinda “blah”, lethargic, not excited about anything, lacking motivation, feeling depressed, intensely introspective and feeling just crappy in general. During drinking I would rarely get nausea or throw up, but I would always have transient abdominal pains and bloating which I figured would go away with drinking. While the bloating has gone away, I still feel transient abdominal pain all through my abdomen sometimes in one area sometimes in others. It comes and goes, somedays are better than others.

I didnt really have any withdrawal symptoms per se, just lots of anxiety in the beginning which tapered off to feeling better and better until about 2 weeks in and then I just plateaued and for the past 2 weeks I have just been in a fog.

Can anyone relate to this? What did you do, how did you approach the problem and what made it better? Is this just a waiting game at this point? Any information you could share would be great. Feeling this way really stinks, esp when I was hoping to be feeling really free at this point and no so dark and and condemned and hopeless. Thanks.
I can absolutely relate to how you are feeling, radically. I'm on day 47. I will say that I feel slightly better than I did at 1 month. I look forward to people's responses and (hopefully) good news that it will all pass. Congrats on 1 month!! Wishing you the best.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and especially what Scott said.

Being sober was the first step for me- getting help for my physical stuff, emotional/psych stuff like anxiety and working my program of AA.

What are you doing besides not drinking? Glad you are here and there's lots of support- I need IRL recovery specific action too.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome radicallynormal

I know I understimated how long it might take me to feel good again - I drank hard for years - it was always going to take more than a month for me to get over that.

Things did get better for me after 30 days, but of course if you are concerned please do consider seeing your doctor

D
Old 05-01-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Great work on 30 days!

I agree with what everyone else has said about giving at a bit more time. 30 days is still early - I still felt pretty cruddy at that point. I was so tired and foggy. Anxiety was still an issue. It did get better, probably about the 2-3 month point. If I were you, though, I'd definitely make an appointment to see a doctor about your specific symptoms, if only to give you some peace of mind. Some of them may have nothing at all to do with drinking and could be helped immediately.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, radicallynormal. I am glad that you found this wonderfully supportive forum.

Significant brain fog and significant lethargy were my constant companion during the first several months of sobriety. The good news is that they gradually, yet finally completely, subsided.

Stay the course; things should greatly improve.

The rewards of sobriety are endless.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your great replies. I am still going strong at day 33 now. I even encountered some former triggers this week in the form of old friends who I used to drink with, but I was not tempted. I think it’s unfortunate, but in many cases with addiction one cannot begin to see the light until you begin to see the harm the substance is doing to your body. I used to smoke cigarettes, but I’ve been off those for at least 5 years now. There has been cancer and death in my family due to tobacco use and I guess I sort of figured if I kept my habit up for the next 15-20 years I would probably be in the same boat. With alcohol, the poor health eventually comes around too, but perhaps this is not as obvious to some. I have def. noticed a decline in general fitness over the last 6 years of drinking fairly hard again. But then again, I am also 6 years older so sometimes I think we can falsely assume symptoms of alcohol use are just normal symptoms of aging.

my abdominal pains have really improved and it seems like proper bowel function has resumed. That seems to take time as well. Probably due to eating the wrong stuff but also due to the constant presence of alcohol in the system.

I think one one of the things that bothers me the most though is the skin issues. I have always had issues with dermatitis since my teenage years, but it seems to be worse or more aggravated during times of excessive alcohol or caffeine use. I’m wondering if there is a real link to alcohol though because for me, it seems almost as bad now as it was when I was drinking. Granted I have only been not drinking for 33 days. I’m trying to drink lots of water, but I still drink some caffeine during the day and I’m hoping I don’t have to give that up completely to recover from the dermatitis.

Thanks again for for your support everyone. I hope that in the weeks and months ahead I can continue to give good reports of better health and sobriety to the forum.

i will close by saying this: to anyone reading this post and who is thinking of quitting drinking: please do it! I know that you really can’t quit until you are ready but don’t continue to sacrifice your sanity and heath with a substance that offers neither and will just continue to rob you of everything you have day by day. For all of us who are compulsive drinkers - yes in an ideal world one glass of _____ per year would be a wonderful treat but the addictive mind doesn’t work that way. Some things have to be abandoned entirely to maintain freedom. In the end I think you need to know yourself to know what you can and can’t handle. I know that being committed to no alcohol consumption is where I need to be.

take care everyone!
Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 33 days Radically, great stuff!

I believe there is a link between consuming alcohol and dermatitis but was unaware of it being made worse by not drinking. If it is severe then you ought to have it examined by a doctor or medical professional. I guess checking with Google might reveal some obvious cause but a doctor would be best. All the best to you.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

30 days is relatively new sobriety...although sometimes it can feel like 30 years!

Your health, both physical and mental, will continue to improve the longer you are sober. For me I was radically transformed by 6 months.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Go to the doctor about the pain if it persists.

Congrats on your sobriety

In terms of things getting better, mentally or physically, that was not my experience. It's kind of like, is alcohol kept me shackled in a dark room, and sobriety removed those shackles...I still have to get my arse up and leave that room. Or else I'm in the same boat.

All sobriety is to me is opportunity.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

30 days seems like a long time to feel bad. I would see a doctor or person who specializes in anxiety. They idea is to get off the booze and have a life way better than the one that you had while drinking GOOD LUCK!