SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/438252-day-1-a.html)

Pinky1 04-30-2019 03:06 AM

Day 1

And went to my first AA meeting last night. Was really nervous, panicking about what to expect.
Had some wine yesterday but that was to calm withdrawals from the weekend binge of who knows how much I consumed. Had gone 3 weeks + before I drank and was feeling great. I have no off button once I've taken that first sip.
I rang AA yesterday and a lady from my local area called me back. Spoke to me for ages, really listened. I went to my first meeting and was greeted with open arms.
She has rang me this morning to see how I was feeling and how the meeting went, how supportive.
I know I'm not going to drink today.

SnazzyDresser 04-30-2019 03:09 AM

Good going, Pinky. This is a great day to be sober!

D122y 04-30-2019 03:29 AM

Pinky,

I got through the craves by suffering.

I still suffer through these days, except the crave only last for a few minutes or less.

Yesterday I craved around 6 PM. I was just leaving work. I used To sometimes poor a drink for the ride home. It is a 40 minute commute and the only way to,get pulled over is if I was speeding.

Regardless, it was very ridiculous to do. If a cop pulled me over, the whole car would reek. I was very lost in my addiction.

I stopped looking at myself like a person that is quitting drinking. That was too hard.

I look at myself as a non drinker. As I have grown up and learned new things, I changed. I learned all about booze and now I don't like it anymore.

I am a non drinker now. I don't drink any more and it feels amazing.

Thanks.

Dee74 04-30-2019 03:36 AM

Sounds like a great start Pinky :)

D

Santi27 04-30-2019 03:52 AM

I too don't have an off button, I really identify with you on this. I hope your day 1 goes well and that you get to feel better and better without drink. Day 2 for me here. We can all do it!!

nmd 04-30-2019 03:52 AM

Congrats on your decision to make today day 1

Tinkerbeau 04-30-2019 12:02 PM

Congratulations on day 1 thats great, im on day 10, but the same as no off switch when i did drink. Everyone on here is so helpful and supportive

Ghostlight1 04-30-2019 12:14 PM

Congratulations on day one.
I made that call, too. And met with a man who understood my drinking, because he had been there.
That got me going to meetings and that got me ten years sober.
You can do it, too.
Best to you. Now you've got two support groups, here and AA. You can't go wrong.

Lucy79 04-30-2019 01:26 PM

Congrats on day 1 and making a meeting! Let this be the first day of the rest of your sober life! It can only get better from here!

Pinky1 04-30-2019 02:46 PM

Thank you so much for all of your support.
I am going to stay close to this site and AA now grab as much support as I can as I do not want to drink again

Scramm 04-30-2019 03:30 PM

I think we all lose that switch as time goes on. That's one thing that differentiates us from the normies .I can go weeks without a drink but have 12 when I have 1. Even when I am heading down the path after a couple and I can recognize what's going on, I still keep on.