SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/438250-day-7-a.html)

Mysteryman 04-30-2019 12:42 AM

Day 7

Well, Ive managed to make it to day 7 for the first time in probably about a year now. Feeling much better for it, but 7 days ago feels like a month ago.
Its amazing how time slows down when your sobering up. Im trying to eat healthy and exercise more, and hopefully I'll start losing some of my beer belly. Ive got my partner on board with me this time, so Im feeling like this is the start of a good long sober run now, but one day at a time.

Thanks for listening

Guener 04-30-2019 01:00 AM

Maybe it's time to consider this a permanent change instead of just a long run at being sober, have you thought about it in those terms? It is a daily thing, but plenty of people have tried to have stints of non-drinking only to go back in at it as before or harder. You have already made it through seven days, but I'm not sure what your goals are about alcohol use, and I would only say that it gets harder to stop each time.

Dee74 04-30-2019 01:18 AM

Welcome back mysteryman :)

D

Mysteryman 04-30-2019 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Guener (Post 7175026)
Maybe it's time to consider this a permanent change instead of just a long run at being sober, have you thought about it in those terms? It is a daily thing, but plenty of people have tried to have stints of non-drinking only to go back in at it as before or harder. You have already made it through seven days, but I'm not sure what your goals are about alcohol use, and I would only say that it gets harder to stop each time.

I suspected that part might prompt this kind of response.

To be perfectly honest with you, I havent yet come to terms in my mind with never being able to drink again at some point for the rest of my life. I wish I could, but it's my biggest struggle. Ive quit hundreds of times for a few days or weeks, and I believe me I know it gets harder each time. I know how destructive it is and the problems it has caused me.
The one thing that stops me thinking in those absolute terms right now is my partner and my family and friends, and some of the times that I was able to enjoy one or two drinks with them without self destructing, and I used to be able to do that. The memories of those times are great and to rule that out forever, and to think of them passing away or leaving my life without the possibility of spending times like that again, maybe in years and years in the future, is just too much for me to get my head around right now.
Im not planning on relapsing any time soon, ha, who is? Im taking it one day at a time and not thinking too much that far into the future at all. One day maybe I can contemplate other ideas. Hope this makes sense.

january161992 04-30-2019 05:23 PM

7 days

:You_Rock_

Dee74 05-01-2019 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mysteryman (Post 7175041)
I suspected that part might prompt this kind of response.

To be perfectly honest with you, I havent yet come to terms in my mind with never being able to drink again at some point for the rest of my life. I wish I could, but it's my biggest struggle. Ive quit hundreds of times for a few days or weeks, and I believe me I know it gets harder each time. I know how destructive it is and the problems it has caused me.
The one thing that stops me thinking in those absolute terms right now is my partner and my family and friends, and some of the times that I was able to enjoy one or two drinks with them without self destructing, and I used to be able to do that. The memories of those times are great and to rule that out forever, and to think of them passing away or leaving my life without the possibility of spending times like that again, maybe in years and years in the future, is just too much for me to get my head around right now.
Im not planning on relapsing any time soon, ha, who is? Im taking it one day at a time and not thinking too much that far into the future at all. One day maybe I can contemplate other ideas. Hope this makes sense.

I think that;s a stumbling block for everyone. No one wants to 'have to' change their life.

For me, I was never a normal drinker.

Even tho I was capable, at one time, of just having one or two, I always wanted to get wasted. That was what alcohol was for.

As the years wore on those one or two drinks occasions got less and less.

By my late 40s they were non existent.

I drank all day every day to unconsciousness.

I nearly died. Still I wasn't sure I wanted to quit forever, or even decide if it was necessary to do that.

Thankfully I found this community :)

They showed me a life without alcohol is not one permeated by a sense of loss - in fact I got myself free of self imposed chains.

I got my life, and my soul, back.

I'm sober now because I want to be, not because I 'have to' be.

Mysteryman 05-01-2019 03:48 PM

Thats good to hear. Right now I want to be sober. I just hope as time goes by that feeling increases more each day

Finalround 05-01-2019 06:40 PM

My latest effort at stopping drinking started with a desire to just stop. Not forever, I just needed to stop then, so knew I could. Eventually I did. Committed to not drinking today. Got into routine but didn't really vomit to "never again".
After 4 months of sobriety I thought I would give the poison another chance. A week later, I was wondering why on earth I would allow myself to feel so awful. Especially after 4 months of clean living, exercise, eating and sleeping well. Why trade that for the consequences of drinking.

I never wanted to feel hungover again. That could only happen if I made the decision to never drink again.

As someone else mentioned(doggonecarl) it was a paradigm shift in my journey. Hangovers are no longer possible because drinking is completely off he table for good. And I feel great.