Notices

A Second Chance

Old 05-01-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Second Chance

https://www.soberrecovery.com/recove...second-chance/

Hahahahaha? Seriously, a second chance?
America's view of addiction is that of a moral issue.

Otherwise this would read "How recovery schools are teaching kids that addiction is a complex issue involving nature and nurture; not a moral shortcoming."
Old 05-01-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In an ideal world the support that is given in a recovery school should be available in all schools. At least according to the study they mentioned the students attending the schools are more likely to abstain from alcohol/drug use although I note there are no figures shown to back the claim up.

If I was a young adult I might be concerned (to put it mildly) that I would have to put graduation from a recovery school on my resume/CV or am I missing something?
Old 05-01-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you're down on yourself today TWTOM but I really do believe I got a second chance the day I quit drinking for good.

Don't mistake the way things are now for the way things are always going to be. Things get better.

Don't let negativity set the parameters for the rest of your life. I did that for 40 years and it lead me to drinking again and again.

There's a multitude of better ways

D
Old 05-01-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd never heard of recovery schools before I read the article but they sound like a great initiative for people who need a second chance.

As for the CV - I no longer put my high school on my CV - too old - but when I did I put my old schools name down - not 'co-ed catholic college founded 197*'.

I guess you'd put the name down rather than 'recovery school' if that was an issue for you.

D
Old 05-01-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

its saving lives and helping kids not go down the path i went- im all for it no matter how they do it or what they call it.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nowhere in this article do I hear anything about moral failing.
I know a fair amount about these schools- and the tragically small number of them- and firmly believe they are brilliant. Very short sentence to follow: our US public school systems cannot support the day-in/day-out education of the increasing number of young (er and younger) people with substance abuse problems.

One solution is this kind of school.

I hope you feel better ThatWasTheOldMe - I know it's been a rough day, and I hope you are sober now - and google or read stuff you find positive not worth more negative thoughts.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't be so hard on yourself. Treat yourself as you would a good friend. And Dee is right, it will get better. How you feel now is not the best it will get. Stay sober and practice gratitude and it will get better.