Notices

Day 3. I hate this....

Old 04-28-2019, 12:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have been taking antidepressants off and on for 15 years. It's just I don't see a very bright future ahead. I already lost my career and am practically unemployable because I can't pass a background check. Been fired so many times I have no references. DUI, a bankruptcy, and I suffer from ADHD.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking negates the effects of antiD's so taking them while drinking does no good. As long as you're drinking, you're going to feel hopeless. I hope you'll give sobriety a chance.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know this mental anguish will pass soon. 3 days in my apartment with zero sleep must be like what solitary confinement is like. I took a bath and ate dinner. Just need the elusive sleep.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I know this feeling

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
I have done in-patient rehab, therapy and AA. Nothing sticks. Probably because I nothing to stay sober for. I will be 43 soon. Already lost everything. I am not even depressed. I just like drinking better than being sober. I am resigned to my fate.
hi Canuck. We have a lot in common! I am on day 3 (but to be honest I haven’t had a plan lately) , I’m going be 43 soon. I’m also a Canadian!

i know what it’s like having a lot start overs/ day 1. I was reading /listening to a book by Augustin Burroughs recently called How To. It has a chapter called how to finish your drink. I’ll warn you it’s grim. But there’s truth there. You’ll quit when you want sobriety more than getting drunk. How simple this sounds I thought when I heard it. I have accepted that if I want to stop I have to go through the pain to get there.

I hope you find the strength to push the alcohol out of your life. I’m in the same struggle as you.

Congrats on day 3. I’ll make it to day 4 wth you!
Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SIB

When I got sober I couldn't sleep either so I'd pull an all nighter and stay up until about 8pm the following day, then I'd sleep and get into a pattern of 8pm-5am sleep schedule. Getting up early and fully refreshed is an important part of early sobriety. From there try to find something to do with your time - if you sit around bored you'll eventually drink from that alone!
Old 04-28-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The first week is awful, just don't drink, if you have, seek help near you for assistance (you can always if you didn't either).
There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Canuck like all the others here, I believe in you.

I never thought I'd be able to live alcohol free but I managed it - you can too.

I found I had to do more than wish for change - I had to work for it.

That meant finding support and using it, making changes that reflected my desire to be sober, and begin prepared to be uncomfortable for a little while as the cumulative poison of years of drinking left me.

If you have other physical or mental health issues, it makes sense to deal with those too.

It sounds like a lot of effort but compared to what I did to keep drinking, I don't think it really is.

D
Old 04-28-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Canuck, you sound pretty down and out. Glad you are on day 3, you should be turning the corner soon. You can improve your situation, but it takes action and no drinking. I don't have much to offer other than I want to throw my support your way. Its tough when we feel low.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I understand how you feel and can relate 100%. I felt like I've lost everything too. I was fired in December.
Alcohol made me feel hopeless and helpless, too.

I remember reading about your withdrawals when you quit in February. I was rooting for your every day because you were experiencing some really touch symptoms. But you got up despite the insomnia you had and went to a meeting.

You were/are suffering. It's not hopeless. You don't have to suffer anymore, if you just take it one hour at a time.

I still don't have a job. But I don't feel hopeless anymore. And I drank everyday and a lot for 20+ years. My withdrawals were terrible too. So, if a drunk like me can not drink for one day at a time, then anyone can.

I'm rooting for you again Canuck. Join a class. There is no shame. We've all been there. I was a constant relapser. But somehow I'm sober today. You can be too.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

5am on Day 4 and have not slept since Friday morning. In a couple weeks, I won't remember how terrible I feel now though. That is where I got to be vigilant.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Canuck, you may already be familiar with The Alcohol Experiment by Annie Grace, but that's what helped me get through the first 30 days this time around. Just a thought.....hope you get some decent sleep
Old 04-29-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Canuck I dont know if this is allowed, if not the mods can remove it, but Ive read many here recommend this so I'll just throw it out there again.

Try melatonin to get yourself on a normal sleep schedule

Its inexpensive and can be purchased just about anywhere and is naturally ocurring in the human body.

Your brain and body are off balance right now.

It might give you some much needed rest.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day Four! Keep it going.

I know your detoxing brain wants you to believe you're unemployable and that you've made too many mistakes, but it's not true. There is a job out there for you.

Keep doing that next right thing. You're going to be okay.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sometimes rejection is God's protection.

Ever considered something, somewhere has greater plans for you than where you were.

You dont have to settle.

Whatever power there is that makes flowers bloom may be calling you to grow.

And no one on this plant unless you were literally born yesterday hasnt made "mistakes".

To me a mistake is just telling me Im going the wrong way and to try something else.

YOU ascribe all the meaning these bumps in the road have for you. THEY do not dictate who you are or where youre going.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dandelion12 View Post
Canuck I dont know if this is allowed, if not the mods can remove it, but Ive read many here recommend this so I'll just throw it out there again.

Try melatonin to get yourself on a normal sleep schedule

Its inexpensive and can be purchased just about anywhere and is naturally ocurring in the human body.

Your brain and body are off balance right now.

It might give you some much needed rest.
Hi Dandelion - with regards the medical rule, its usually ok to share things you've tried and you can phrase it that way- less so just pulling ideas out of the ether or off the web - even things available without prescription are subject to the med advice rule

Dee
SR
Old 04-29-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

See a doctor

5am on Day 4 and have not slept since Friday morning. In a couple weeks, I won't remember how terrible I feel now though. That is where I got to be vigilant.
Hey Canuck,
of course I can’t give medical advice. But it may be a good idea to see your doctor. He may prescribe something to get you through the worst of this and help you sleep.

Congrats on day 4! I’m right there with you
Old 04-29-2019, 08:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Inability to sleep has been common for me in early withdrawal/recovery. It gets better, I usually just try to relax and focus on rest if I can’t sleep. As my doctor said, a bad nights sleep won’t kill you, but alcohol certainly will.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:19 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi, I think you should see a doctor. You need rest, your body needs to repair. Try to beat your longest time sober. I too was broke my first weeks of sobriety and it actually was a blessing because I couldn’t afford to drink. Try some relaxing music, chamomile tea, don’t think too much, just stay sober.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It's anxiety that prevents sleep. I just can't turn my mind off no matter how much my body wants to sleep. I had an anxiety attack just now and was craving a drink to numb but fought through it. Whenever I sober up, then memories come flooding back. For example, I constantly lie to people about what I am up to when I am just drinking alone. I sober up and regret hits me. Blissfully drunk, nothing really phases me. Jekyll has to clean up Mr Hyde's mess so to say. I just have to sit with it and let it pass

I drink a lot of coke zero with caffeine to replace the beer. Not a good thing but it helps with the cravings. I have been through this before. First priority is not to drink. The rest can wait
Old 04-30-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I got "blissfully drunk" for the exact same reason- without it I had gotten to the point where my anxiety was torture. And then the drinking was torture.

it doesnt work long term, and as you know makes it worse.

Someone here (bimini?) said you have to put the binky down.

So true. It was like a comforting baby bottle with serious consequences

Yesterday was an uncomfortable day for me with feelings.

Im learning to sit with them and medititate. Sometimes it s*cks but I have 6 good days now and one day where Im slightly ...cranky

But I have plenty of money today and Im using it to improve my life and lay a solid foundation, not drink it and purge it.