Notices

Creeping Craving

Old 04-28-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Creeping Craving

Yesterday I definitely felt a bit of a craving. Had a productive, but busy day that left me drained and when friends offered drinks when they joined us for dinner, I knew I wouldn’t take one, but I definitely felt a pang of want. I ate probably too many chips as I kept myself full and my hands busy, but the craving passed, I stuck to my guns and I feel good for it today. Being depleted is definitely a trigger I need to watch out for.

I’ll be four months sober next weekend and I’m pretty excited about it. I’m not really counting days, but the longest I ever went without a drink is six months, so as that draws nearer I do get a bit happy to see that I’m really sticking to my life as a non-drinker and how much better I am for it. I just read an article about “hangxiety” or the anxiety that comes with a hangover and I know that all too well and never want to feel it again. Thank you all for being here and sharing your journeys. Hope you’re having a good weekend!
Old 04-28-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congratulations on beating that scenario!

and on your sobriety.

Question; do your friends know you're in recovery?

Did you share with them that you've made that choice?

Sometimes, these situations are great opportunities to step further into the light of sobriety and own it.

Sometimes, these situations are great opportunities to make clear our intentions and our singleness of purpose.

And one more: what will you do with this craving feeling?

Will you dive deeper with it? Will you allow it to sit percolating?

Will you do some active work to lift it up, turn it around in your hands, look at it and under it and clear out the lingering baggage it represents?

Our sobriety is a journey and these moments are often signposts, milestones, forks in the path....

Keep at it!

Old 04-28-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That feeling of getting a bit of work done, and then expecting to kick back and reward yourself feels familiar. It will pass, but it sounds like a trigger to watch.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing KeepingUp, FreeOwl, and DriGuy - I needed to read this today .

I am growing to learn that I need to be constantly reminded to stay vigilant, because the beast that still lurks somewhere deep within me is just waiting for the opportune moment to strike - and his first blow may come in the form of a bottle from the corner store rather than a needle, or pill.

"You've worked hard this week"

That I did, almost 70 hours.

"You've been doing so good"

I have been doing good - but only by the Grace of God, the NA program, and a loving family.

"You deserve it, one won't hurt"

One is too many, and a thousand is never enough.

The HOPE that I have today isn't worth throwing away. My life has gotten so much better, and JUST FOR TODAY I do not need to use, drink, or self-medicate in any way in order to feel better about myself or my position in the world.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hangxiety, god I hate it. My friends all had no idea what I was talking about when I used to talk about that!