Notices

First time reaching out

Old 04-25-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time reaching out

Good afternoon. I am finally able to admit to myself that when I drink, I don’t have control. My family hates that I drink, but I don’t know how to wind down and fall asleep without several glasses of wine AND 1/2 a Tylenol PM.

Im hiding alcohol, and drinking more than I tell myself I’m going to drink. I’m tired of having a foggy head, feeling sick, and I hate mornings! It’s become a burden. I’m also having stomach issues. I’m afraid my coworkers know I’m hungover most mornings. I’m embarrassed that I even have incontinence sometimes when I’m passed out. I’ve quit several times, but only because I got pregnant. My fiancé shouldn’t have to deal with any of it. My oldest daughter is old enough to see what’s going on, but the younger 2 don’t, yet. Can someone point me in the right direction on this site? I’m happy to see I’m not alone on this site. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
You're in the right spot. You'll find a lot of support here from people who understand.
I know I couldn't control my drinking, either. For a long time.
You're not alone. And I hope you stick around here.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You will find lots of support here to stop drinking for good. I hope we can help you do that.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a wonderful site full of support and resources. Glad you are here and taking the first step!
Old 04-25-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The right direction on this site is exactly where you are. This section and the people here are some of the major reasons and means by which I got sober and stay sober.

Congrats on making the decision to reach out. What's your plan?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, you've found a great place for support. Following is a link about various recovery programs and tips on what we did to stop drinking:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 04-25-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to S.R, you've made a good choice in joining us here. I've just got 1 year and a couple of weeks sober but I know for sure that it's the best thing I've ever done for myself and I've received the most amazing support and kindness from the lovely people here, people who know exactly how it is. I'd advise you to join the 'Class of April 2019' where you will be with others at the same stage as you. Good luck, you can do this. Xx
Old 04-25-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
The right direction on this site is exactly where you are. This section and the people here are some of the major reasons and means by which I got sober and stay sober.

Congrats on making the decision to reach out. What's your plan?
I don’t have a plan but I would like to stop myself. I’m not able to go to a facility, but I am planning on seeing a counselor.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post
Welcome to S.R, you've made a good choice in joining us here. I've just got 1 year and a couple of weeks sober but I know for sure that it's the best thing I've ever done for myself and I've received the most amazing support and kindness from the lovely people here, people who know exactly how it is. I'd advise you to join the 'Class of April 2019' where you will be with others at the same stage as you. Good luck, you can do this. Xx

thank you!
Old 04-25-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are on the right path. I just wanted to let you know I could relate to the incontinence and worrying about coworkers noticing hangovers. I’d take cold showers, use eye drops, etc. to try and hide the hangovers. It’s such a relief to not have to worry about these things anymore!
Old 04-25-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShynxMama77 View Post

I don’t have a plan but I would like to stop myself. I’m not able to go to a facility, but I am planning on seeing a counselor.
When I first joined I felt like I was always being asked this question - what's the plan? Over time, and now that I'm sober, I've come to know how important a plan is. Desire, will power, hope, wanting a better life - that's what gets us here, the plan, and the work, is what gets and keeps us sober.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, ShynxMama. When I joined SR I felt relieved to know I wasn't alone. I hope you'll feel the same. Welcome.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. Agree you are in the right place. Hope you’ll read around and keep posting. We are here to cheer you on and help you get out of the cycle/prison.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. There is no better time than today than to stop drinking. Start with right now.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem SynxMama

this link explains a little on what we mean by plan - but it'll be whatever works for you

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AtomicBlue View Post
Welcome! You are on the right path. I just wanted to let you know I could relate to the incontinence and worrying about coworkers noticing hangovers. I’d take cold showers, use eye drops, etc. to try and hide the hangovers. It’s such a relief to not have to worry about these things anymore!
thank you for that. I hate it
Old 04-26-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShynxMama77 View Post

We talk about THE PLAN here a lot, and at your stage, I didn't have a plan either. In all honesty, I can't say I ever had a formal plan. I tried to moderate and fumbled along drinking, giving in, getting worse, and like you, I knew something was wrong, but mostly I didn't want something to be wrong. OK, that's a start, but not a plan. I just wanted to gain some control over the way I drank.

After many attempts, admittedly feeble, I begrudgingly went to AA. I had no plan. I just went to see what people in AA had to say about my problem. I read the Big Book, and understood that the key to the problem is total abstinence. This is not just some peculiarity of AA. It's pretty much agreed upon across the board by experts that the only solution to a person's alcoholism is to quit drinking for good.

I was adverse to this but only to a small degree. My ideal solution would be to stop drinking, but to still be able to drink in moderation in situations where alcohol was called for. But I was willing to take that consensus of wisdom and make it the first part of my plan, albeit a partial and informal not written in stone plan.

For many alcoholics this typical attempt to reach some workable compromise with total abstinence creates an open door to failure. Their words and promises aside, they cannot accept that reality and fully internalize abstinence. They want to reserve a wee bit of the right to drink when the occasion calls for it. This has stopped many a recovering alcoholic dead in his tracks.

Total abstinence, forever. A big step to take and a big bite to chew. AA has a set of steps that are designed to help you do that. They may or may not be necessary. It varies. The steps may or may not be optional depending on the person, but having an occasional drink on a special occasion is not an option for any alcoholic ever.

So there's a start for a plan. You can add vigilance, making choices, and fighting cravings as you proceed. No plan makes this whole thing a breeze, and there will be cravings to fend off in the beginning (no small annoyance), and some tripping points you need to watch for too, but like the steps, these other bits are all centered around not taking another drink ever.