Notices

I need help with my drinking.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

I need help with my drinking.

So I’ve admitted to myself that I have a drinking problem, even an alcoholic (although like to believe a heavy drinker). Anyhow I have realised that I cannot stop by my own and need a sponsor of something. Is that what is recommended here?
Between 3-4 pm each day I struggle to resist. If I can get to after 6-7 I’m ok. But I rarely make it. Previously I never really wanted to stop and my earlier post may reflect this? Now I’m determined but need help.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Some people go to AA on here but some don’t. Have you ever thought about going to a AA meeting? They are pretty easy to find and you could get a sponsor.

Also you can join the April 2019 class on here. It’s good for accountability.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

TheBlueMask. Welcome to SR.

For me, it took being beat into a state of willingness to go to any length to get and stay sober. I found my solution by attending meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous. The program saved my life. I found my sponsor in a meeting I attended. I haven't found it necessary to pick up a drink for 21 years now, and for that I'm truly grateful. Good luck on your journey. I
Old 04-23-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're ready to do this!

If you use AA as a recovery program, you should be able to find a sponsor at the meetings. Take a look around here, and you will see that we use a variety of programs. The main thing is to find what works for you.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I'm new here (16 days) - in the first days I did not like word 'alcoholic' - but now I have a different understanding of the word, I am with no doubt an alcoholic, probably I always was. Never had control of drinking, not really.

People here are so helpful and they can explain so much - I thought I was the only person who told unnecessary lies in bars, created situations, and so on, and could not understand why I did this.

And its just nice sometimes to connect with other people who have same and similar experience, and are moving towards a better life!

I tried an AA meeting, ok - its not for me BUT it may be for you - there is no harm in trying a meeting.

Im only early days but to me is not 'problem drinking' just some flavor of alcoholism ?? - hopefully somebody can add more about this.

But I think if you are alcoholic, or problem drinker, you are welcome here! -
stay connected, make posts, read the posts.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I essentially made a plan to fill my time which used to be spent drinking.
I also had plans for any triggers or temptations--such as ice cream instead of a drink, watching an old move instead of letting my mind race over things I couldn't change, etc.--all the things I used to drink over, I came up with something else I would do instead.

I began an exercise program, bought healthy food, and started a new hobby (relearning how to play guitar which I had stopped thirty years before).

Having a routine to replace the drinking "witching hours" got me out of the house and active.

Dump all booze in the house and get yourself nice "ritual" type drinks like tea / coffee, or smoothie fixings, and really treat yourself to a drink that's non-alcoholic.

It's hard at first, but pretty quickly I found myself far less anxious, sleeping better, and improving quickly in terms of physical appearance and fitness.
It all adds up, but the work is day-by-day and you have to really want it.

Best of luck
Old 04-23-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, TheBlueMask. I'm so glad you're ready to reclaim your life & get free.
Posting here & talking things over with those who understand really helps. You never have to feel alone.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back TBM

you'll find a lot of help and support here. I basically lived ion SR for a while - either reading, posting about myself, or posting to others to try and help.

Whatever else you decide to do - be it AA or whatever - commit to posting here before you give into that temptation to drink again.

We really can help

You can stay sober - and you never have to feel this way again

D
Old 04-24-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, everybody.
I' m not addicted but my close friend suffers from alcoholism. I hope that in your community I'll find support and a piece of advice about treating such disease.
I believe that is possible to overcome addiction !!! I start to lead a new life
Old 04-24-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lewisjames- welcome to SR. There is a friend and family section on the forums and everyone is nice and helpful.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi BM, I was in your shoes for a long time, drinking way too much while not being hard core.
Honestly, once I wanted to break the cycle, I found it much easier and more relaxing to stop altogether and take away the constant striving to moderate.

It seems terribly difficult, but if you work hard to avoid tempting situations, and make sure you don't get too hungry or tired, you can do this.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to see you posting again BM. For each and every one of us who have gotten sober, there comes a time when we can't take it anymore. Always a bit of different story, but the feelings of desperation, desire for a better life and the understanding, acknowledged or not, that we must quit drinking for good, comes down.

What are you going to do? AA? AVRT? Podcasts/books? What's the plan?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheBlueMask View Post
[left]So I’ve admitted to myself that I have a drinking problem, even an alcoholic (although like to believe a heavy drinker). Anyhow I have realised that I cannot stop by my own and need a sponsor of something. Is that what is recommended here?
I went for months just saying, "I have a problem with alcohol." Alcoholic to me was a horrible label. I might as well have been called a pervert. I just hated that term. But the semantics of your problem is wholy irrelevant to the solution. Besides that, no one can say with certainty if you have crossed an arbitrary line from one classification to another. It makes no difference. The solution is the same in both cases.

I eventually got a sponsor, and I liked him but really we just became good friends. There was nothing we talked about that I would not openly discuss with my wife, friends, or my group as a whole. He did not stand over me with a whip telling me how to do the steps. I dunno, maybe he just had confidence in me. Getting a sponsor is not a bad idea.