Notices

Alcohol free beer

Old 04-23-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
waking down

If you like the taste and aroma of hops, but don't want to drink beer, or even near beer, you might want to try H2OPS sparkling hop water. It's literally just hops and carbonated water. Light and refreshing. No carbs, no sugar, no alcohol, no grains, no gluten... but over-priced. Still, I drink it once in a blue moon.

And about all the other hyperbole and judginess: If you're triggered by near beer, or club soda with lime, or grape juice even, avoid it. If you're not, don't worry about it. We're all responsible for ourselves and make our own choices. I'm not big on rules and dogma. Five plus years sober.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

For me, personally no, because I don't like the taste.

If it helps someone cope, they enjoy the taste or they just want to drink it, not my concern. I probably wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't judge anyone. I would rather an Italian soda myself.

I see this fight a lot on smoking groups, smoking vs vaping with low dose nicotine. I am asthmatic and many years ago tried an ecig, found it irritated my asthma. It was never an option for me, so I have no opinion on it, not my quit. I did it the old fashioned way, three days in bed crying, cursing at people and emerged on the third day a little less witchy. Only a little.

As for cauliflower pizza, I haven't eaten pizza in 9 months, so not my circus there either. Now cauliflower rice, slap me with a dead fish and call me Shirley, that stuff is tasty!
Old 04-23-2019, 05:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

In the past I have drank NA beer. It really reminded me of regular beer. Although it tasted good, I think for me it was not a good idea. My problem was that I could drink regular beer like water and having something remind me of it seemed like a path back to a bad place.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm about this far from limiting participation in this thread to those who can answer the OPs question without referencing others members militancy, rigidness, dogma, self righteousness, or whatever the heck else.

Seriously - you guys are doing my head in today.
I will start removing posts if it keeps up.

Experience only please.

Dee
SR
Old 04-23-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I was thinking along those lines earlier. At the end of my drinking career one of the things I drank was cheap vodka.
What if there was an alcohol free vodka available? Would I drink it? Hell no, I'd puke.
As has been said, why tempt fate with n\a beer?
I'm an alcoholic, I can not safely drink alcohol. Or anything like it knowing myself.
But if someone else can do it, more power to them.
Excellent point.

I will miss hops though.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

God I loved beer, but.... I drank my allotment. The relationship is over, I do not see a reason to drink the fake ones, thought I was drinking for the taste but who was I kidding it was all for the effect.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Action View Post
Look at the label of an NA beer it has alcohol in it, about the sixth of a 3.2 beer.
Not any more. Some are 0.0%.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I had a conversation with a friend in AA today about this topic and how it would be received in AA. Both he and predicted the same thing .

To quote him
"you don't get to heaven by dancing with the devil."
Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My personal experience is that NA/LA beer led me right back to drinking regular beer in a short period of time. I drank the NA beer in the same addictive fashion that I did regular beer - I hid it, chugged it, hid the empties, constantly calculated how many I could really drink before the amount of alcohol became less than just a trace, etc.

My personal opinion on this is that WHAT you drink is far less important than HOW you do it. And if you have to ask if it's OK to do it then it's probably not.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never drank wine for the taste, I drank it to get drunk, so NA wine has no appeal for me.