Notices

Day 24 here and feeling overwhelmed

Old 04-23-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Day 24 here and feeling overwhelmed

Hey all... I really appreciate being able to share with this group.. first and foremost thank you.

Today I've been kinda hounded by thoughts that leave me feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm realising everyone I talk to that hasn't been an addict, basically seems to have their lives more together than me.. I'm talking about my peers and fellow professionals in my field, and also just generally other people I respect. It makes me feel overwhelmed, like what have I learnt in the last 5 years? Barely anything I think. Except that what I was doing was wrong. And yeah it goes back longer than 5 years with other various addictions too on and off I think... whether its with people or other things, sometimes healthier.

Just feel a bit low and like I've missed that last train somehow.

Anyone relate? or.. anything?

Many thanks in advance as always....
Old 04-23-2019, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can't get your life together in 24 days however much you want to
It was all I could do to not drink for the first 30 days.

By the 90 days point I was still not all together but I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Other people may be more together than you - or they may not be, despite appearances.

In the end, so what?

They have their lifejourney of leaning and fulfillment and you have yours.

Don't rush it - stressing and worry and wanting things now are all things that can lead us to drink again if we leave them unchecked....

maybe right now, you're right where you need to be?

D
Old 04-23-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I sometimes mourn over the fact that my peers have left me behind in many ways in life, including professionally. In fact just reading your post brings up some of those feelings. All I can do now is focus on what is available before me, diminished as it is, and enjoy the fact that I'm not actively on the road of destruction today. I have accomplished some things that I can be proud of in the past months, and I have to be grateful for those things while being mindful that it has been much worse in the recent past.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. I have a tendency to rush things... and stress about rushing or not rushing ... I have a history of that. And yes worrying and also wanting things *now*. Sigh.... I just feel guilty too I guess.

I watch the thoughts that say 'grab a few beesr' but I let them fly right past... I stay detached. I know beer won't fix anything. I just feel fear too I guess, and I'm not used to feeling fear so plainly, it hurts so much when I think of it I was suicidal 2 years ago, in the thick of my drinking. I feel like I hit rock bottom.... and now I'm newly sober I sometimes feel like a rudderless boat tossed amongst the seas, however they choose to toss me.....

Thank you so much for listening...
Old 04-23-2019, 02:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
I sometimes mourn over the fact that my peers have left me behind in many ways in life, including professionally. In fact just reading your post brings up some of those feelings. All I can do now is focus on what is available before me, diminished as it is, and enjoy the fact that I'm not actively on the road of destruction today. I have accomplished some things that I can be proud of in the past months, and I have to be grateful for those things while being mindful that it has been much worse in the recent past.
Thank you Guener. And I think also learning those things will make you better for you and all around you in the future. And yes, you are the wiser version of yourself now, and this was your path and you have that within you now. And that is incredible. Reminds me of some good fighters that I know (I do martial arts). The good ones didn't outwardly demonstrate how good they were, the good ones were quiet, calm, and delivered when it mattered. I'm sure you've done well in that way if you're sober. Also our alternatives were, the opposite of choosing life. We did the right thing and chose life/sobriety.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I think all drinkers and users have that "I've wasted my life" feeling at some point when they are drinking and it does crop up again if you are one of the smart drinkers who knows to quit. While that feeling of regret never vanishes, it does become less intense and who knows, maybe having gone through something like that makes us more knowledgable in some aspects.

Congratulations on 24 days though peaceandfreedom, that's great.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean I used to feel the same way. If you ran into me in the street and we got talking you'd think I had my s**t together as well. Nice house, nice car, good job, I present well, kids went to private school. Ha what a joke. What I wouldn't tell you is that every night I'd go home and polish off a bottle of wine. Looks can be deceiving.
You do you.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Peace (and all)! - First, you sound like you are doing AWESOME to me. For a huge reason like being 24 days sober when 2 yrs ago you shared being suicidal. THAT is victory.

And, yes yes yes, I'm another who gets the stuff you're feeling. I was very sick when I quit, as most of yall know, and it took me way longer than a month to even feel significantly better; around 100 days was a good shift forward in a lot of ways.

As far as the Big Life Picture goes? Well, my life here at 3 yr and change is nothing what I would have written out for myself. But it's more perfect than I could have written. It's real, lovely, complicated, hopeful....my early adult life was a high flying, high income sales career, and essentially the trajectory of the successful life I'd grown up meant to have, so to speak. Yeah, it was a good life in a lot of ways, and I went thru hell to get to where I am now, but the moral of my story is that being alive, first of all, when I wouldn't have been if I hadn't quit drinking, and having built the new life I have now is the best thing of all.

That doesn't mean that I haven't been creating dragons in my head about my 25th high school reunion this wkd. But doing the right stuff to build a good sober life is what I need to do, whatever my high school friends and classmates are doing - and appreciating my patient husband who also went to high school with me, as I spin around about this whole reunion boondoggle (in my mind, anyway, like the good alcoholic I am), and get back to what I just said about the life I have is what I gotta do.

Keep going- glad you are here. Our perspective on pretty much everything keeps clearing up as we stay sober. For me, the comparison game is usually a rare one now.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First things first: Focus on staying sober, if that goes out the window, nothing else matters. Secondly, brace yourself, because the first six months are uneven, with brain fog and PAWS and what not, at least that’s how it was for me.
But after that you’ll see that it will start coming together - I’m 22 months in and pedal to the metal on my career, it is the best it has ever been. Just stay the course, do your recovery work, and it will be the same for you!