Notices

Recalling my most mortifying "cheerful" episode

Old 04-22-2019, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recalling my most mortifying "cheerful" episode

I'm on day 8, but during this NHL playoff season (with 1 of my cousins playing for a certain team), I am reminded of when (6+ years ago) his sister got married in Colorado, and I got trashed. Like badly.
At Church I first sat on the other side of the family isle, once resettled I literally got up, clapped & cheered during the ceremonial vows.
A few years later, when it was his turn to get married, I never received an invite, so I bare a slight grudge.

Anyway, after having passed out at the post wedding celebration and another cousin cabbing me back to the hotel, I couldn't stop apologizing after. Kinda thing you look back on and laugh at (to me at least), but I think all's forgiven and forgotten cuz only this year, he reached out to give me tickets when his team would be in town.

I guess he didn't wanna risk being the butt of all jokes of the NHL players and teammates had I repeated that scenario again.

I did receive an invite to his other sisters wedding 2 years ago, but couldn't make it due to work, unfortunately. I would've done anything to redeem myself at that one.

Glad to be back on day 8 again, and be watching the playoffs sober.

Do you have any mortifying stories of your own, some you may look back at as dreadful (have those too) or straight out of the twilight tragic comedy zone?

Any of which, when you recall, makes you never wanna go back to reach for a drink again. I'm having a few of those coming back to me lately.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

As a rule of thumb Euphoric Recall is very unhealthy for an addict. Romanticising and having a good ole laugh at previous bad behaviours when drinking was absolutely and actively discouraged at the rehab I went to by the staff, counsellors, psychologists and most of the addicts themselves. It helps keep us in denial and downplays the harm that we did to others and ourselves. x
Old 04-22-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree that horror stories are generally not all that helpful to drag up. We all have them and some of them are pretty scary indeed.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh okay, but this was not a fond memory, especially given the circumstances of a once in a life time event. And family, I know I personally humiliated as well as myself.
I guess idk, sometimes it feels too somber, downing and repetitive, and I wanted to switch the tone. Not to make light of it, but just for a change.
I still struggle too, and it took years to forgive that for some of my family members, so definitely not intended to make it sound like a good old time.
But I will try to just reply to posts I can constructively and positively contribute to when/if I happen upon them.
At this point, I really do not have any new threads to start up again at, nothing out of the ordinary, but I certainly can relate to most.
So I will stick to replying mostly.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand; I'm not all that fond of drunk me. I've done some stupid, mortifying, embarrassing, just plain old bat**** crazy stuff.

I separate that guy from the guy typing this right now that has 16 days of continuous sobriety.

Does he play for the Avalanche? I'm a lifelong Avs fan and Colorado resident.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Caprice,

I think you are doing a great job at stopping.

My partner is a huge Blues fan, so we are watching as well.

We live in Europe so up at crazy hours to see the games.

With respect to the wedding event, I have so many of those that I will regret until I die, but I try not to dwell on them.

Keepa go!
Old 04-23-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
I understand; I'm not all that fond of drunk me. I've done some stupid, mortifying, embarrassing, just plain old bat**** crazy stuff.

I separate that guy from the guy typing this right now that has 16 days of continuous sobriety.

Does he play for the Avalanche? I'm a lifelong Avs fan and Colorado resident.
Thanks, he used to for a while and loved it there but then trades happen and currently he plays for the Vegas Knights. Another game 7 nail biter, as well as for my Leafs tonight.
Congrats on your journey to recovery, keep at it! I agree, gotta focus on the here and now.
I tried to make light of it, but it really was something to this day, I even have trouble totally forgiving myself for cuz we rarely see one another and live so far apart too.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Caprice,

I think you are doing a great job at stopping.

My partner is a huge Blues fan, so we are watching as well.

We live in Europe so up at crazy hours to see the games.

With respect to the wedding event, I have so many of those that I will regret until I die, but I try not to dwell on them.

Keepa go!
That's awesome, without giving myself away, I had a few family members play for the Blues back in the day.
I do the same for tennis in Australia at the Open. Crazy hours, and next up is the French Open, so here, where I live in the land of the past, I'll need to adjust my clock to your timezone too.
Absolutely best not to dwell on them cuz in the moment, I did try to make some light of it, but now the shame has overshadowed it. I almost didn't wanna return cuz I want this thread now buried, so it will be my last comment on it.
Thanks for your replies, understanding and all the best on your recoveries.
Colorado and the Blues got passed R1, tonight for the leafs and knights game, I'm not sure I'll have any nails left by tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Oh okay, but this was not a fond memory, especially given the circumstances of a once in a life time event. And family, I know I personally humiliated as well as myself.
its extremely early recovery for ya- i can relate to where your thinkings at. i couldnt think of much else than the damage i left in my wake for some time.
however, i used all of that to learn about myself- to learn what made me tick. that way i was able to learn what i wanted and needed to change to not be that man any more.

my past is the most valuable posession i have. it helped me become who i am. i can look at ALL of it today without remorse,regret, guilt or shame.
quite a bit of it i can laugh at NOW because i see how insanely nutso bonkers i was.