Notices

Chips, Coins, Symbols, Tattoos, etc.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chips, Coins, Symbols, Tattoos, etc.

Hey ya'll. I hope everyone had a great and sober weekend. I don't have much to say about mine...kind of the norm. Went on a few long mountain hikes, one alone, one with others. Did a little healthy cooking, did a lot of writing.

I did do something Friday that was very not like me. I got a tattoo. My family is very conservative, I'd say "anti-tattoo". When I brought up the idea of getting one, I had a dozen people tell me why it was a bad idea, so naturally....I just went and got it done.

I know AA has their chips/coins, and other groups have their different tokens....but do ya'll have anything that serves as a constant reminder to you?

This is my necklace, I wear it under my clothing, only visible to me.

Here is my fresh tattoo. Still a long way to go before it is healed. It's the symbol for sobriety/recovery. My sobriety date was 9-11-18, which is symbolized by the two black lines in the middle. The blue line in between those represents my law enforcement background. Also, the black lines represent the Twin Towers that were attacked 9-11-01, which is very meaningful to us Americans.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool tattoo! I like the necklace (and the day count,) too.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Cool tattoo! I like the necklace (and the day count,) too.
Thanks! It didn't hurt as bad as expected. I was told it would be a "bad idea" because now I'm branded as an addict for the rest of my life, for those who actually will recognize the symbol. But I really don't care about that.

And I'm onto my 2nd sticky note now!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't often say this, but that is one awesome tattoo. Full of meaning. I really like it.
I still have my first AA chip from twenty plus years ago.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
Thanks! It didn't hurt as bad as expected. I was told it would be a "bad idea" because now I'm branded as an addict for the rest of my life, for those who actually will recognize the symbol. But I really don't care about that.

And I'm onto my 2nd sticky note now!
I used my big wall calendar in my kitchen for day-counts. . . I just drew a big red heart with a Sharpie on each day. I think I only did it for four months, but it was meaningful to see that every time I went in the kitchen.

Is that tat on your inner bicep? I can't really tell...

I've seen some, "Oh what were they thinking?" tats on people, I don't think this is one of those. (Not that you need my approval.) It's simple and beautiful. Hopefully sobriety will be for the rest of your life and why not?
Old 04-22-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with Ghost, not a tat guy myself but that is really cool. Feeling it. I've always thought about getting something to commemorate my sobriety as well. Haven't gotten anything done yet. But I guess nothing is better than the La Dolce Vita tattoo across my stomach I almost got deep in my drinking days. Good stuff man keep it moving and keep us updated
Old 04-22-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like your tat! Awesome!

When I first wanted to get sober I got tats.

on one wrtise "To thine own self be true"
On the other wrist was a swan and it said "serenity" under it.

I was not ready for the sober life.....

This time around I waited until I had 1 year and I started my sleeve which I love. I have black water with 2 lotus flowers and a butterfly. Which covers up the swan and the word serenity. I wish I knew how to upload a picture, it is beautiful! Ever year sober I will add to that until complete, and then I will continue to get a new piece on my sober date, this is my reward. I love tats.
I will have to wait until after my 2-year date this year as we are expecting and no tats when preggers! I am now guaranteed to get to 2 years LOL!!!!!

I do not think I will get any sign of recovery like the AA symbol, or sobriety written anywhere. Wehn I make it 10 years I could see putting the date somewhere on my in roman numbers.

Have a blessed day,
DC
Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

Is that tat on your inner bicep? I can't really tell...
Yep, inner bicep! I wanted it in a place that it couldn't be seen by others unless I wanted it seen. Also, my boss doesn't approve of tattoos....and I'm talking to him as I type this and he has no idea I got one. Wearing a polo shirt and it is completely covered.

I've never been a tattoo guy either, like at all. I guess I felt like my life was just turning into 1 boring routine, so I needed to feel something different. Plus now, if I do ever relapse, I'm going to look pretty stupid doing it with a recovery tattoo on my arm.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And thanks ya'll. It was funny because I have been thinking about getting a few different designs for months, but never ended up getting them. I originally came up with this one Friday morning, and by Friday night it was a tattoo. Done deal. I guess it was a "when you know, you know" type feeling.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm with you, bro.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I like it a lot. Simple and powerful.

I will eventually get around to getting the sobriety tattoo I've been contemplating for a couple of years now. I can't decide what exactly to get. I'll design it myself, though - being somewhat creative and a bit talented in the design arena (graphic artist for going on 35 years now). Not tooting my own horn, just saying I'm not going to go point at a design in a book at the tattoo parlor. I designed my first tattoo and I still like it. I'll probably do it at my 5 year mark (December).
Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your tattoo, glad you found exactly what you wanted, its perfect.

I don't have any, I did briefly think about marking my sobriety with one but being miss indecisive I would find it very difficult to choose and commit to one.

I have enough problems buying a T shirt!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Congrats on your tattoo, glad you found exactly what you wanted, its perfect.

I don't have any, I did briefly think about marking my sobriety with one but being miss indecisive I would find it very difficult to choose and commit to one.

I have enough problems buying a T shirt!
Haha! That's exactly how I felt...but ya know....I just decided to DO IT. I stopped making excuses, stopped making "pros/cons lists", which I make a LOT of....and I just did it. It was a great experience!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I like it a lot. Simple and powerful.

I will eventually get around to getting the sobriety tattoo I've been contemplating for a couple of years now. I can't decide what exactly to get. I'll design it myself, though - being somewhat creative and a bit talented in the design arena (graphic artist for going on 35 years now). Not tooting my own horn, just saying I'm not going to go point at a design in a book at the tattoo parlor. I designed my first tattoo and I still like it. I'll probably do it at my 5 year mark (December).
Oh I could've used some help from you! I have a lot of talent, some creativity, but none of which is at all in the design arena. I knew I wanted something simple, with clean cut lines. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to clean lines. Also, if I were to get a little more artsy in the future, I figure I can add to this! Maybe something that has to do with nature...who knows!

Once it full heals, 2-3 weeks I'm told, I have to go back for touch ups. Make sure those lines are as clean as can be.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'd get a tattoo, but I have a very short attention span and to look at something on my body the rest of my life would make me more crazy than I already am.

I know, get one on my back. Just knowing it was there would drive me apeshit.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I guess I've never understood the need for tattoos and probably never will.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Action View Post
I guess I've never understood the need for tattoos and probably never will.
You're missing the whole point, there is absolutely no need for tattoos

I just started , have two, all this ink talk is making feel behind

WDP nice ,
Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I like this thread,

I have a few things I carry with me, I have three tattoos from back in the day, I have been getting cover-ups. One cover is a Blue Butterfly, signifying a transformation into something beautiful. The second cover is a Lotus Flower, signifying that something beautiful can grow out of the darkness, the third is on my wrist, it was a faded rose and thorns that has been covered up with a vibrant red and pink rose, it has leaves and beautiful orange flowers around it, on the underside of my wrist is purple flowers, bright and beautiful. The Lotus on my shoulder is getting the last of it's color and the words "My story isn't over yet" under it soon.

Like Ghostlight, I have my surrender chip, it is very important to me, in a few days, my key chain and necklace will go from saying 20 years sober, to 25 years sober. I am very emotional this week, I just can't believe it. By far, the surrender chip is the most significant thing to me, it is where it all started.

Cathy
Old 04-22-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks for that Cathy.
Twenty five years! You are awesome. Congratulations.
And, yes, that surrender chip is important to me also. I have ten years.
Best to you, your tattoos sound awesome, too.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
You're missing the whole point, there is absolutely no need for tattoos

I just started , have two, all this ink talk is making feel behind

WDP nice ,
I didn't miss the point, I am a year and three months sober tomorrow. Would I be more sober or appreciate it more with a tattoo, no.