Notices

Feeling lost - Day 23

Old 04-21-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Feeling lost - Day 23

Hey guys,

So, I'm feeling odd. I'm trying to work out, eat healthy, learn new things, go back to my old fun things, relax, rest, all that stuff. Day to day stuff...

But I feel this sense of being lost. And, I might have felt this way when I was drinking, but now, it feels a bit worse. Like, now I have no excuse not to be really amazing and awesome because I'm sober. And when I was drinking I think subconsciously I was like well, I can't achieve much right now cos I'm drinking, so I'll just coast.

But now, just coasting, doesn't seem enough. I feel guilty almost doing it. As if I should be doing more amazing things and I'm not. It takes a while doesn't it? To get back to being a properly functioning sober person again? I just feel like I'm somehow not being an awesome enough person to justify my existence considering I'm sober and technically not imbibing mind-body altering substances... am I being too hard on myself? Anyone else gone through this kinda thing and come out the other side?
Old 04-21-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get it.

I personally don't relate to the people here who have these amazing spiritual or physical transformations.

Drinking is ONE problem in my life that I've solved at this moment, it doesn't do a heck of a lot for the rest of them (in-fact it makes my existing problems stand out MUCH more clearly).

The only thing I can say is that sobriety allows us to face our problems fully and without a mask / veil.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, I think you're being too hard on yourself. You don't have to be 'awesome' every minute. There will be days and moments where you can just coast and not have to perform. Be gentle with yourself.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

try not to worry too much. Early recovery is a time of some pretty big emotional swings.

Things will settle down and I'm sure you'll find that you'll have a good idea of who you are and where you want to be eventually
This is not the best things will get

D
Old 04-22-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

keep moving forward odaat - one day at a time and it will all work out

when i was 23 days sober my big concern was showing up early to the (AA) meeting for the most important job! ----- coffee maker!

Old 04-22-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by peaceandfreedom View Post
am I being too hard on myself?
Yes.

You are twenty three days sober. All your focus should be on attaining 24.

You can change the world later.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Interesting thought. I've never thought of sobriety that way.
I actually achieved quite a big when I was drinking, until things got really bad.
But after I got sober, I was able to build on what I had started drunk.
So things got better that way. But I didn't have a burning bush moment where all of a sudden I was some kind of super-achiever sober.
Much more subtle.
But the only thing that changed was everything. I became dependable. I did better work.
But I never have yet achieved supersoberdom.
I'm just me, going about my merry way doing the best I can.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just breathe, I too am overwhelmed by how I’m not hustling every second to be the improved 2.0 sober me. I wrote down all my goals, put a timeline for accomplishing them. Just relax and get to 30 days, then 60,90. Slowly it will all come together. You definitely will be more lost by drinking. Stay strong, be proud of yourself you already accomplished so much by being sober.