Notices

Craving a clear mind and body

Old 04-20-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving a clear mind and body

Hi,
Hope I'm posting in the right place . I'm 59 years old. I've been a livelong drinker. Not heavy except for binge-type drinking in my teens/20'S. I am a near daily drinker, but rarely drunk. But I so need that drink! I drink maybe 4-6oz average, mostly spirits. Just enough to get a good buzz. But I always want a little more. I have a strong family history of alcoholism/ addiction and anxiety/depression. Self-medication! I've stopped for periods in the past and it was great. I'm ready to do this again for the long term, but I'm stuck at the moment and just need some emotional support, to make that jump! I want to be free. Thank you for being here.
elsie
Old 04-20-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. I was a daily drinking for over 30 years when I quit. Haven't drank since 2010.

Blessed to be sober. Hope you find sobriety too.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome elsie.
You've found a place where you'll find a lot of support.
I started drinking at fourteen and would drink for the next thirty odd years.
From occasional to binge and ending up an every day drinker.
It's been ten years now since I've had a drink.

Unlike like you, I drank to get drunk. You'll find others here who will understand your situation better than I.
Just wanted to welcome you, and, yes, you're in the right place.
I hope you stick around and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Elsie. This is a great community - you'll find a lot of help and support here

D
Old 04-20-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Elsie. You've come to a good place for support and wisdom. I hope you can use this site as a resource to help you get sober for good.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so happy you joined us, Elsie. I was able to get free of alcohol thanks to reading & posting here. You can do it.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Today is my first day without a drink. I'm in France so the day is almost over. I usually drink around 4 or 5pm, had a craving when I got in an argument with my husband earlier. Fortunately no booze in the house, I finished it yesterday, because I'm sure I would have poured one! The craving passed and I haven't had another. I went to gym today and will go running tomorrow. Exercise really helps me stay the course whether I'm trying to lose weight or not drink. I don't want to re-poison myself.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Even though I was a heavy drinker in my teens and 20's, by the time I was 30 I slowed it way down. Just an after-work drink or 3 with occasional nights out drinking. I'm kind of retired now, and as I said before, I drink every day, what is considered about 3 drinks (usually have it in one big drink!)
So I was just surfing the net doing a bit of research on possible withdrawal symptoms. Considering myself a moderate drinker, I was surprised to read that women who drink more than 8 drinks a week are considered heavy drinkers. I drink at least 21. 8 drinks a week is nothing. How can that considered heavy drinking? (a drink being 5oz of wine or 1.5 oz of spirits)
Now I'm concerned about withdrawal symptoms. Should I be?

(should I post this somewhere else or start a new thread?)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

In the U.K. women are not recommended to have more than 14 units of alcohol in a week. From what you wrote your consuming around 37 units a week. That’s the weekly amount times 3 almost and not what I would consider moderate.

However, for anyone with an issue with alcohol (like myself) any amount of units is over the recommended amount.

Dr Google will fill your head full of worry so I would recommend steering clear and checking out some of the support threads here for some information that will be far more helpful and balanced from people with experience.

Best of luck xx
Old 04-22-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you found this site littlejacket. Daily exercise has been my saving grace. It'll most likely be a bit rough for the first couple of weeks but you will get thru it.
At 12 months sober, abstaining from alcohol and benzos has been the best decision I ever made.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks both of you.
Yes, I guess I've been trying to convince myself for years that what I do is moderate. This is 72 hours for me, and doing surprisingly well, until I went grocery shopping and had to pass the booze isles about 4 times. I was overwhelmed with the desire, probably it didn't help I was very hungry. That was about an hour ago, and I ate some when I got home and the feeling isn't passing yet.
I have had headaches off and on, but feel ok. And I'm sleeping ok thank goodness, but do take melatonin and unisom about a 1/2 tab.
Apollo, I did benzo withdrawal too, about 12 years ago. I hadn't been on long or high. 1-2mg klonopin for a few months for insomnia. So it wasn't as terrible as I know it can be. I spent awhile on Benzo Buddies website, and met people who had been taking it for years and years.
I'm going to go read around the site now!
Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi I’m in France as well, lots of support here, good luck
Old 04-24-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wishing you all the best.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. (((hug)))
So, my cravings are getting worse. It's been 5 days. Around mid afternoon, I start thinking about it, and today I actually was trying to make a deal with myself that I could drink once a week. Just go have a couple somewhere, or buy a pint or 2 of of beer at the store. I've done that before, but I know that will open me up to doing it more often. I keep thinking I've done this sober thing before, but I honestly can't think of a time when I've ever gone completely sober for more than a week or two. Does the craving go away? I have a really good mindset about it, but when does the cravings go away, if ever? I quit smoking nearly 20 years ago, and it reminds me of that feeling. -(
Old 04-26-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlejacket View Post
Thanks for the support. (((hug)))
So, my cravings are getting worse. It's been 5 days. Around mid afternoon, I start thinking about it, and today I actually was trying to make a deal with myself that I could drink once a week. Just go have a couple somewhere, or buy a pint or 2 of of beer at the store. I've done that before, but I know that will open me up to doing it more often. I keep thinking I've done this sober thing before, but I honestly can't think of a time when I've ever gone completely sober for more than a week or two. Does the craving go away? I have a really good mindset about it, but when does the cravings go away, if ever? I quit smoking nearly 20 years ago, and it reminds me of that feeling. -(
Cravings go away. How long varies. One week would be phenomenally almost unheard of. A better way to ask the question would be how long does it take for them to become manageable. This was about two weeks for me, at that point they would occur but were more like laughable thoughts. This too will vary from person to person. Some take much longer.

At the risk of being a broken record, abstinence forever is the goal. Every time you quit, you feel a little more like an expert at quitting, and this can falsely feel reassuring, but the progressive nature of the disease actually makes it harder to stop the next time. Just set your sights on forever, and you will never need to go through this again.

Eventually, you will find yourself wondering why you thought having a drink was so important in the first place.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you read this link littlejacket?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 04-28-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

DriGuy, such helpful words, thank you so much.

Dee74, I have not seen the link, I will go check it out now. I love your avatar!

Well, I've made it a week. Last 2 days not too bad, but I got upset today and was thisclose to going out for relief. All the stores are closed around here (small village in France) on Sundays, so I would have had to go to one of the endless restaurants around here, some just a few steps away! I wasn't in the mood to do that by myself, so escaped the fall. Thx all. It really helps to write about this, kinda like journaling. ;-)