Notices

romancing a drink

Old 04-20-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Last time my brain enlisted my tastebuds for an AV onslought , I took two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.

My tastebuds bid a hasty retreat
Old 04-20-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Action View Post
It's a slippery slope we live on, it's like the skier on Wide World of Sports years ago that demonstrated the agony of defeat. You can flirt with the slope but you know the outcome.
Action
The agony of defeat couldn't be worse than the agony of humiliation that followed that guy for the next 20 years every week on ABC. Although they never mentioned his name. I got to wondering who that guy was. Thanks to the internet today, Vinko will never outlive his infamy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZvwIFbXMM
Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Last time my brain enlisted my tastebuds for an AV onslought , I took two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.

ok, that is more than just a little bit brilliant!
Old 04-20-2019, 02:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi
I have been sober for one year. I find myself romancing the drink many times. even though I know that I can never drink again, it sometimes sounds so nice. I should go to more meetings, and work my steps but for some reason I have been procrastinating. Having a hard time getting motivated
Old 04-20-2019, 02:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post

ok, that is more than just a little bit brilliant!
Its a battle of wits
Old 04-20-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It is not uncommon for long sober alcoholics to hit a bump somewhere between 20 nd 30 years. I had a bad patch which, to a degree, was linked to my giving up smoking, though I wasn't going to meetings or working with others either. Mine manifested in anger. I had an incredibly short fuse and there were other stressers in my life at the time. It didn't, by the grace of God, develop into a desire to drink as anger and resentment are prone to do.

Strangely enough it cleared up when I went back to AA and began working with others again. Later, much more serious events occured in my life and I was able to meet calamity with serenity.

Like others I know, I seemed to come out of the patch in better shape than I was before. The anger went and I found I had a renewed faith that has stood up to lifes low spots without fail. Others I know have had profound spiritual experiences in that time and became completely different people.

I am pretty sure that we had something in common, hanging on to some reservations around what we were prepared to do to stay sober. I should have known better. My experiences in early sobriety clearly demonstrated that all my problems along these lines came from one of two causes - doing something I should not be doing, or not doing something I should.

At least your defenses are still operative as evidenced by your posting here. You still have an opportunity to take some action before it is too late.

Step 10 suggests we continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesy, resenment and fear, and tells us what to do when(not if) these crop up. Fear and resentment are mentioned in your post. What about the other two? Usually they all go together, as in selfishness and dishonesty often lead to fear and resenment.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Belissa View Post
Hi
I have been sober for one year. I find myself romancing the drink many times. even though I know that I can never drink again, it sometimes sounds so nice. I should go to more meetings, and work my steps but for some reason I have been procrastinating. Having a hard time getting motivated
Welcome Belissa and congrats on your year. I always say we need to treat our recovery as something we cherish. Its worth the effort

D
Old 04-21-2019, 03:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Belissa and congrats on your year. I always say we need to treat our recovery as something we cherish. Its worth the effort

D
I second that. My sobriety and recovery are the most important things in my life. Without them I have no life.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I have 24 years, and I don't go to meetings anymore either, but I long ago decided that if I ever got to a place like where you are now, I'd get myself back there pronto. This is not the time to let resentments get in the way.
This, and the helpful and kindly frank things others have said.

There are a lot of folks like you who get decades and go thru what you are describing and then do indeed relapse- I can only trust their experiences here at 3+ years and working to die sober myself.

The meeting reluctance- kinda like we would call it "call reluctance" in my sales career- is a normal person thing, not just alcoholic thing....but right now, you won't be starting over at day one going to one- you'll be a great example of someone doing the next right thing to stay sober in exactly the place you are- and I know it would help me and make me super grateful and hopeful to hear you in a meeting or meet you and hear where you are and how you're accepting it and acting.

Take care - and keep us posted.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things Randd?

D