Notices

Day 20

Old 04-18-2019, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Day 20

Hi guys, just checking on Day 20 of Forever Have probably been snacking a bit to much over the last couple of weeks, but I'm trying to keep it healthy. Noticed eating lots of sugary things yesterday (at work, they had special easter food brought in), had me craving sugar+++ lots last night.

I'm trying not to feed the 'perfectionist' in me, that insists I don't drink, don't get upset, don't eat bad food, work out a lot, sort my life out perfectly, look good all the time.... it's hard! funny the same voice that says that stuff also says oh well if you stuff up you can always just go back to drinking excessively cos you haven't done it perfectly. I know this is not true, but it's odd looking at this dialogue in my own head. I've always been somewhat of a perfectionist...

Anyway if anyone else identifies please feel free to comment. Just gonna keep trying to do my reasonable best . And yeah, no alcohol allowed in that picture cos it just unravels everything I love, my hopes and dreams, everything.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on 20 days!! I feel like I could have written this post myself. I just said in another post recently that I feel like I have to get my whole life together in a few days. lol! I’m a perfectionist in my own right as well and it can really wreak havoc on my mental health. I have to keep reminding myself that it took years to get here and will take a while to get better. I’m all about the instant gratification too. Getting older and learning some patience!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucy79 View Post
Good job on 20 days!! I feel like I could have written this post myself. I just said in another post recently that I feel like I have to get my whole life together in a few days. lol! I’m a perfectionist in my own right as well and it can really wreak havoc on my mental health. I have to keep reminding myself that it took years to get here and will take a while to get better. I’m all about the instant gratification too. Getting older and learning some patience!
Thanks Lucy! yeah and when you say you felt like you have to get your life together in a few days, I feel like a few days is too long cos it's already been too long haha But then that also doesn't make any sense Hope we both experience the patience we need as much as possible.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I identify. Maybe not in the perfectionist but...I like to do things 100% effort or 0%.

Congrats on your 20 days. I think letting go is the biggest part of my recovery journey. Letting go of perfection for yourself, could be a big part of that. For me its about control too.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on 20 days! And, one, eat the sweets now! (Sidenote: I've done it way longer than you have and keep figuring out how to balance it in my diet). Two, right now - 100%+ is not drinking. Period, tops, and that's a successful day.

It's so hard to get that it takes time. We quit and we want things all better - now. I had so much to put back together and, yep, it took time.

Keep going, and doing the next right thing. Adding a program specific to recovery was critical to me, and continues to help with handling how my life keeps unfolding here into my 4th year.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I'm not interested in AA at all but access counselling sometimes which is nice. Very big into the self help books. Whatever helps you is a success I say
Old 04-19-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 20 days. My 2 cents is you're still healing - be gentle with yourself
D
Old 04-19-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi peace and freedom, tomorrow I will have 20 days too, and I’m a perfectionist too! It’s said that alcoholics tend to have very black and white thinking , all or nothing. Maybe that’s why I drink all or nothing, or mess up my life all the way or not at all. I haven’t snacked on sweets, but they do look amazing especially cake. I wrote down my goals to accomplish and a timeline, I have 21 goals that fall between next month and two years. Alcohol will get in the way and ruin all of them. Try to be easy with yourself, I understand the I want the perfect life and now feeling but progress not perfection is perfect
Old 04-19-2019, 10:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaceandfreedom View Post
Hi guys, just checking on Day 20 of Forever Have probably been snacking a bit to much over the last couple of weeks, but I'm trying to keep it healthy. Noticed eating lots of sugary things yesterday (at work, they had special easter food brought in), had me craving sugar+++ lots last night.

I'm trying not to feed the 'perfectionist' in me, that insists I don't drink, don't get upset, don't eat bad food, work out a lot, sort my life out perfectly, look good all the time.... it's hard! funny the same voice that says that stuff also says oh well if you stuff up you can always just go back to drinking excessively cos you haven't done it perfectly. I know this is not true, but it's odd looking at this dialogue in my own head. I've always been somewhat of a perfectionist...

Anyway if anyone else identifies please feel free to comment. Just gonna keep trying to do my reasonable best . And yeah, no alcohol allowed in that picture cos it just unravels everything I love, my hopes and dreams, everything.
The Core of Addictive Thinking:
Chief among the ingrained beliefs (corrupted thinking) that contribute to addictions as well as hurts, habits and hangups are, “I should be perfect and perfection is possible; I should be all-powerful controlling myself and others;​ I should always get what I want and life should be without pain and require little or no effort.” The simple truth is that life will never be easy, fair and painless. We are never going to always get what we want. Intellectually, we may know this, but emotionally...not so much. The problem is, that the addictive personality believes that life should be easy, fair and painless! When we allow ourselves to think in this, "entitled," fashion, we lower our threshold to adversity, to feeling frustrated, helpless and overwhelmed. If we insist on avoiding emotional pain, on being comfortable all the time, we will seek ways to avoid reality, to escape our negative mood. With respect to addictive thinking, this type of corrupted belief system is the very core of addictive thinking and can lead to attempting to regain control with a, "Quick fix or mood changer," of drugs and or other errant behaviors, all designed to change the way we feel emotionally.

Only when you fully accept yourself as you are, a creation made in God's image, can you stop trying to control how things appear, clearly observe the destructiveness of the quick-fix approach, and honestly admit that it’s not working for you. That’s where recovery begins.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As usual, Dee hit the nail on the head. Concentrate on staying sober and eat away.

I can relate, no alcohol for 2 years and I am still overweight,

Congrats on 20 days!