Notices

Update to my post "Should we have insisted"

Old 04-18-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update to my post "Should we have insisted"

Hi All,

I went to my weekly Thursday meeting of AA tonight and the guy that I spoke about in the afore mentioned post was there and 100% sober.

He was embarrassed about last week, although it was never mentioned by any of us (And I know that I shouldn't say anything outside of the rooms but this really showed me the power of AA), but in his share he admitted driving home and also did the same thing the following night at another meeting.

However he did say that it was the compassion and caring that was shown at the Thursday meeting that actually prompted him on the Saturday to stay off the alcohol for the day and attend a meeting sober that evening and from there he has attended at least 1 meeting a day ever since and hasn't touched a drink in 6 days.

Seeing him sober and readily admitting what had happened made me realise that AA, and how we as members accept and care about every single member no matter how long they have been in the fellowship, can and does make a difference and this is the first time I have experienced something like that. It was a Eureka moment for me, I will admit, and strengthened my resolve to take on board all the things that the fellowship and the steps are saying and made my small part in what happened mean something more than I ever expected.

Day 144 and still sober but tomorrow is another day and I can and will do it all over again.

Thanks for listening...….
Old 04-18-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, Livingonwishes.
Hope he continues to be okay.
AA and Al-Anon can be pretty powerful places.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad some good came of it.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear this resolution. Although, I guess it reminds me both in the tenor and reality of your post that there is no "resolution". It is one day at a time. But the choice to give your day to sobriety and to a fellowship or in service, well, thats a good day.