Notices

Just a wee update

Old 04-18-2019, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Just a wee update

Hello dear SR friends,

Although I’m no longer active on here, I’m still lurking from time to time. You guys gave me so much support and confidence to keep trying, so I thought I could post a quick update.

So, I’ve been sober for a few months now and gotta admit I hardly ever think about picking up a drink. I don’t know - a lot is triggering; like difficulties with finding a decent job etc (I worked in one crappy place for a month, but it was so awful I quit ) and I constantly question myself if coming back to my home country after so many years was a good idea, but I decided to give it a go so I try to rebuild my life here. I have a very supportive partner and I see a counsellor twice a week. I think a lot about how I feel little lost, life happens and I have so many problems to face now - but these problems no longer include waking up in my own vomit, feeling of dread and panic, not remembering what I said or did...

Some of you know that I’ve been struggling with depression, suicidal thoughts and self-harm for a long time. Oh boy, I wish I could tell you it all went away since I got sober, but unfortunately it is still a real struggle and I had a few severe depressive episodes when I went bat$hit crazy without a drop of alcohol. However thanks to my sober time, I was able to track my mood swings and have discovered that my depression might be hormones-related. I had some blood tests done and I’m treated for a thyroid disease now. Who knows - it might help.

Facing my demons and living sober is not easy, but I learn so much about myself and guys, seriously... I know it sounds like a cliche, but I had no idea about some issues I tried to bury. I feel damaged, but I try to be patient with myself coz ugh it’s gonna take time to heal this gloomy head. I’m confident everything’s gonna be fine tho - I have so much love to give.

Take care guys,

Hugs to all of you!
Old 04-18-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Snuf

Great to hear from you and well done for your sober time.

I agree, mental illness is real struggle no matter what but it's a hell of lot easier to manage when sober and life can even be ok at times

Good luck to you.

Take care,

John
Old 04-18-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad things are going a little better for you Snuf

D
Old 04-18-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Congrats on your sober time!
Old 04-18-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you and what a positive update!

keep at it, and I’m happy to hear you’re finding progress in working on treatment of your depression.

when I got sober it was a journey of discovery to even identify and accept my issues with depression and get them properly addressed. It got so much better!

all the best to you and don’t be a stranger!
Old 04-18-2019, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Sorry for being a bit sappy. It's a really nice day today. Super sunny.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're getting help and that it is a nice day! Keep searching for happiness. It is in you.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

(((Snufkin)))

It’s wonderful to hear from you! Glad things are getting better bit by bit, keep strong and never forget you always have family here if you ever need us xx
Old 04-18-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Thanks for the update!
Glad you got your thyroid checked. I'm actually thinking of doing that, too. Something's not right in my system.

I hope things continue to improve!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Snuf!!

Great job not drinking!! And thyroid problems can cause a lot of problems so good job catching that and getting it treated!! I am a firm believer in adding thyroid testing in recovery. For everyone actually. If I listed all the problems I had when mine quit working this post would be 12 pages long.

Then add depression, suicidal ideation, and a eating disorder on top of everything.

Quitting drinking has improved my life in more ways than I can count. It has given me a chance to work on things that aren't working too!

Rock on Snuf!!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're continuing your sober journey, Snuf.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So very good to see you, dear Snuf. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
Hi Snuf!!

Great job not drinking!! And thyroid problems can cause a lot of problems so good job catching that and getting it treated!! I am a firm believer in adding thyroid testing in recovery. For everyone actually. If I listed all the problems I had when mine quit working this post would be 12 pages long.

Then add depression, suicidal ideation, and a eating disorder on top of everything.

Quitting drinking has improved my life in more ways than I can count. It has given me a chance to work on things that aren't working too!

Rock on Snuf!!

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos. I agree that thyroid testing should be a much more common occurance. My depression and fatique are gone since Ive been taking thyroid meds and stopped alcohol intake.

Blessings on your journey Snuf
Old 04-18-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

snuf,

Your post helped me this morning.

Nobody knows what goes on in my head unless I tell them.

As I continue to heal from my drinking days the stabilized feelings are longer and longer.

I feel like it emanates and folks around me sense it. What is leads to is reassurance that I am moving in the right direction by being a non drinker.

I am an addict for life and will always crave the buzz. This morning I skipped my spoon of moringa and substituted a b12 and multi v. I can feel the difference.

I am enjoying a fairly strong cup of instant coffee with sugar free creamer.

All of those things give me a buzz. Not like booze, but a buzz nonetheless. My workout yesterday consisted of over 37 minutes of treadmill high intensity interval training. It gave me a buzz that lasted several hours.

I slept like a baby for over 8 hours with only one interruption about 3 hours in.

I feel more happy and content then ever, but I still have negative thoughts all the time. It is like evil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. Sometimes I just want to scream, but I don't.

When I was a drunk, at least one or two times a year, I would go off on my poor wife with harsh screams the neighbors could hear from 3 houses away. These instances could have easily escalated into something horrible.

This will never happen again because I don't drink anymore.

I pray like a nun constantly to myself. Prayer gives me instant contentment.

My BP is way down and I don't stay very sick for more than 24 hours. My immune system is like a furnace.

I don't believe the hype. Booze is poison.

God bless SR and all of you for educating and supporting all of us.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update Snufkin, I'm so happy that things are starting to go in the right direction for you, I had been wondering how you were getting along.

Take care.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm happy to read the good news, Snuf. Never give up trying for a better life. Thank you for updating us on your journey so far.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad things are going well for you. Congrats on your sober time!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Here and now

Hey snuf,

Looks like we both managed to string a few months together, I remember we both started quitting at the same time too. I am the same way, struggles still appear but I am much better equipped now at dealing with it and drinking no longer crosses my mind. Keep at it, we can do this!
Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

YAY Snuf! I got so excited when I saw your thread Thanks for the update! Try not to stay away too long....we miss you!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, dear Snuf.