Notices

Just a wee update

Old 04-30-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Me too, Snuf.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello lovely people...I’m doing good, however something slightly upsetting happened today and gosh I feel likeI need to vent a little.. You guys are so patient with me...

So my partner’s family came to visit for a few days (they come from Finland, so a long journey). I was pretty anxious and didn’t want to meet them at first, but I get over it LOL. We did a lot of sightseeing today and it was nice, but they ended up drinking at our place. Ugh, guys -it’s just a small studio apartment, so there’s literally nowhere to hide. I could constantly smell the booze in the air, and it didn’t bother me, as- I wasn’t tempted, I didn’t want to join them, but I was so tired and super annoyed... I tried to nap a little, but wasn’t able to. I know it’s late, but I decided to go to the cinema. I’m waiting for the film to start just now. I could tell my partner’s not happy about this and perhaps I wasn’t being polite, but... I just couldn’t stay there a minute longer. You know what I mean?

I’m worried they’re still gonna be there when I’m back... sigh. We’ll see.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello Snuf,

Sorry to hear that. I think you made the right choice getting away from them for a while, for your own sanity. I'm guessing your partner knows about your problems with alcohol so he should hopefully understand why you had to do it.

Try not to worry and hope you enjoy the film.

Take care,

John
Old 05-03-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I don't blame you in the least, Snuf - your precious sobriety has to be protected no matter what. You said you weren't tempted - that's great - but being around it would annoy & frustrate me, too. Good that you took care of yourself.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am glad that you chose to protect your sobriety, Snuf. Well done.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yup yup, they’re gone, drunk bf’s asleep. The movie was so good! I’m glad I decided to just go and do stuff for a couple of hours, coz now I’m feeling good and relaxed instead of annoyed and angry...
Old 05-03-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in Snuf! Maybe they'll have too much to drink and not even remember....hope you enjoy the movie!
Old 05-03-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

oops we cross-posted LOL
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad they left Snuf

D
Old 05-03-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well done Snufkin, that's some action you put in there! Sobriety comes first , you did awesome.

I have just read the original post on this thread and wanted to thank you for sharing your experience. I have been sober a year and I also suffer with depression. I have just started tracking my mood swings as I seem to have a period each month where I am really low and full of anxiety and resentment and yesterday I was feeling like it would be better for everyone if I just wasn't here. But then it seems to pass and I am ok again. Like you, I guess my drinking masked everything as i was either drunk or hungover and never knew my "real" feelings. So I too am going to make an appointment to see my doctor. I think it could be hormonal but seeing as I haven't got my medical degree yet I will check with the experts 😉🤣

But thank you for sharing, it makes me realise I am not alone!
Old 05-04-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sadly it's a family nightmare day 2, as they've been sitting here since 12pm, drinking... My partner's friends are gonna join them soon, so it's only gonna get worse. Sorry for being a tad dramatic. I went for a walk for a couple of hours, but I got tired and went back home...

I'm not sure what to do with myself now. I wish I could take a long nap.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

A long nap sounds good.

Get some foam earplugs, if necessary and do it.

You are number one, so take care of your sobriety first and foremost.

Everything else is secondary.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I don't think you're being dramatic at all. The way you're feeling is completely understandable and many of us on here would feel the same way under such circumstances.

I'm not sure what to advise though. Maybe go to a library and read a book, sit in a cafe or park, post or chat on here, draw something...

Take deep breaths and try not to get too stressed over the situation, although I know that's easier said than done.

We're here for you
Old 05-04-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Snuf, thanks for the update. Glad to see you are actually doing so well.

You’ll get through this. If you do anything and it’s to protect your sobriety, you don’t have to answer to anyone.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Enjoy a nice nap, Snuf. I am sorry that you are going through this.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

How are things going there, Snuf?
Old 05-04-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Not great, John. I went to see a friend and had a really nice time together. I got home around midnight after my bf reassured me his family just left. However, entire place stank of booze. I don’t know why it triggered me so much, but I got a monstrous panic attack. I couldn’t breathe. My bf tried to help, but he smelled like a distillery and it just made me puke and puke everywhere .

I’m going to stay at my dad’s until they’re gone. I don’t care if his family ‘likes’ me or not... I don’t want to feel like that ever again.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

that has to be a bugger for ya. i applaud you for doing what ya have to do to protect your recovery.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Oh no

It was a wise choice to go to your dad's and I hope that your partner's family clear off back to Finland soon.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Staying with your Dad sounds like a good move, Snuf. It is great that you are making sobriety your first prioity. I am proud of you.