Notices

Alcohol-induced psychosis and Tapering

Old 04-17-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Caprice,

Did you ever get to apologize or make amends with the nurses? That would personally bother me for it to just end like that. Surely they knew you were hallucinating and forgive you.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

TWTOH Probably more of the latter. My working assumption is that The last few attempts of detoxing at this private hospital was within a 3 month span. The hospital was swamped so the last time I was there, Dr. put me in a cramped room to adminster IV and hurried me outta there. I wasnt combative at all, I was pleasant. Just sick. I don't know what the ****is goings on most the time though, just speculating and slightly pissed now.
Detox Time
Old 04-17-2019, 05:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you truly Dee74, Feeling: Hopeful
Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Get to a medical detox, for yourself and it will show the boyfriend’s family you feel shame and are willing to get help to change. It will save your life, and the family would probably have compassion for you.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I totally get it. I tried cold turkey the first day at home. I had the scariest nightmare when I managed to doze off of a Hideous Giant hovering over a miniature me to come down and kill me. I woke up literally screaming and couldn't go back to bed. I googled alcohol withdrawal, what to do, what could help etc. for the rest of the night in a frenzy, until 6 am (a decent hour I concurred) rolled around to call a cab to take me to the ER, even though I was supposed to go to work. Many patients there were waiting, I could barely sign myself in, my writing was illegible. I never had to wait, they came right out to bring me in on a bed. I felt bad for bypassing the rest who were waiting. They gave me evil stares like we were here first. Next thing a nurse gave me was a benzo and said, "it's like a beer." I thought what the heck. It wasn't enough to calm me, I was still lucid then, soon after they had stuck heart monitors on me, put a vital machine (the kind you see by death bed patients) next by monitoring me and this young bitch nurse missed my vein for the intravenous fluid injection, it hurt like hell, but I call her a B because she blamed me and told me to quit shaking so much AS IF I could control it...it was only that evening/night the horror ensued. Thankfully, I was already at the hospital by then.
Do please go to the ER before even thinking of trying to taper. Let a few hours pass since your last drink and then just GO. For me it took a day before I realized this **** was serious and I had no choice. By then I could barely function, nevermind write to check myself in.
Also, I have lost a few jobs as well due to my alcoholism.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Caprice,

Did you ever get to apologize or make amends with the nurses? That would personally bother me for it to just end like that. Surely they knew you were hallucinating and forgive you.
I wish, but I could not remember any of the faces, and only my psychiatrist came the next day to visit me and tell me that I had a psychosis. I could just recall doctors and nurses (figures in white coats) surrounding and holding me as I was resisting being put into that "bath tub" believing I they were gonna rape me.
If one had to to me on the next day to ask if I were ok, I would have, but unfortunately I could not identify their faces, only the "action figures." All I could recall after is that they were doctors and nurses as a whole.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KTB5000 View Post
TWTOH Probably more of the latter. My working assumption is that The last few attempts of detoxing at this private hospital was within a 3 month span. The hospital was swamped so the last time I was there, Dr. put me in a cramped room to adminster IV and hurried me outta there. I wasnt combative at all, I was pleasant. Just sick. I don't know what the ****is goings on most the time though, just speculating and slightly pissed now.
Detox Time
Try going to the biggest general public hospital ER near you, I did. Maybe I was lucky to receive serious immediate pro longed care, but they shouldn't just let you go if you're in such a severe state of withdrawal.
Idk if it's good advice but stop drinking and as the symptoms worsen then rush in. I didn't think I would end up there until I was unable to practically function and was filled with terror, tremors, sweats and acute symptoms after day 1 trying to detox without alcohol alone only to enter a living nightmare I could no longer bare.
I wasn't combative at all at first either, that came later on that day still at the hospital, after even receiving initial treatment. I could have never predicted that I'd lose it completely.
PS - do not go to that same hospital where the doctor advised you to just taper. They should monitor you closely and make sure you do NOT drink. They should not trust an addict to do it on their own, it's a recipe for relapse. They need to keep you in and monitored until you've recovered. Then they give you pamphlets and all for recovery programs and support.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to be posting so much on this thread. I'm doing so because the word "psychosis" is very personal and the most deeply troubling aspect I can recall that I will never forget.
Also wanted to clarify that you can't trust an addict with their addiction, in particular, and think they will succeed and be fine. The odds are not in your favor, and it only prolongs the inevitable withdrawal process, even if you do succeed.
It's tough, but the more time you wait without a drink after a prolonged binge period, the symptoms will gradually increase. Chances are after even one night of drinking, you still have alcohol in your blood stream even though you feel mentally sober the next day and crave for more to boost you out of the initial low since your last drink hours ago. But it has to completely leave your system. If you still have low-moderate levels of alcohol in your system, they most likely will not medicate you right away, but they should still keep you monitored until there's no more alcohol in your system and then start with the meds. Ideally, if it's severe enough they need to keep you as an inpatient at least for 5 days.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This is scary as ****

I'm Mitch, and I'm an alcoholic.
Well, at least that's what they want you to say when you go to AA. You see, I guess I'm what they call a "functioning alcoholic". I have a job, hobbies, friends, and most importantly, a family. I've never really fully accepted that I have a drinking problem, because, well, it obviously isn't really a problem if I still have all of those things right? Right.

I've been drinking since I was the ripe old age of 16 (thanks dad), and even now at the age of 41 I've never been arrested or hospitalized or any of that stuff you read about real alcoholics.

Now I'm not going to say that my drinking has never gotten me "in trouble". My wife Lauren has always been wary of my drinking...especially once our two kids, Eric and Nelly, came into the picture. I love them with all my heart, which is why I agreed to do things to "help" my drinking "problem". I've been to AA, outpatient rehabs, classes, and even a 30 day inpatient program. I've spoken to counselors, psychiatrists...but in the end I'm really just going to keep the peace at home.

Now 20+ years of drinking isn't all fun and games. I've had to up my amount of vodka because of the tolerance I've built over the years. I now drink from the moment my eyes open till they are forced shut in a passed out state. Nobody ever warned me about the withdrawals. At first it was mostly shaking and sweating, but over the years it has developed into everything from vomiting to anxiety attacks. But I don't go through much of it...since alcohol hits my stomach the minute after I wake up. Hell I don't even taste it anymore! (I think my tastebuds are shot...oh well...now I don't have to chase it!)

But what about work, you ask? Well it's not hard to do when you work from home. My bosses don't even know anything is amiss...I'm that good at what I do. Hell I'm even better at my job when I'm tipsy. The kids are in elementary school, and Lauren works your typical 9-5 job as an actuary. Drinking is much easier when you are home alone!

Of course we don't keep any alcohol in the house...Lauren would get upset if she found out I was still drinking. So I stash my booze all around the house in my little "hidey holes". My routine is pretty simple: I wake before Lauren every morning (normally because withdrawals force me awake after about 6 hours of sleep) and I finish off whatever I have remaining. That gets me going and staves off the shakes until she leaves around 8. The kids are already on the bus by then (don't worry people, I don't drive my kids drunk...I'm not a monster) and I make my way to the local liquor store. It's only 1 mile away, so I walk there so I can walk in at 9 am...when it opens. Drink all day, pass out, rinse and repeat.

Well today was a little different. I had bought a little too much yesterday, so I had plenty of vodka stashed around the house. No need to go out today! I took my first few swigs from my bottle to get me started and got the kids ready for school. Lauren was a little standoffish today, but I was relieved when she left without a word. I thought for sure she had caught me...or at least suspected me of drinking. But she didn't say anything, so phew!

It was around two pm when the doorbell rang. I got up from my computer and bottle of vodka and walked to the door. I noticed I was kinda shaky today, so my tolerance must really be skyrocketing. I looked out the peephole and saw a short, balding man standing outside. 'Who the hell is that?' I wondered, but in my impaired judgement I had already opened the door.

"Hello Mitch. I'm Mr. White. I was hoping to come in for a few minutes to talk to you."

"About what?" I replied, getting a little agitated that I had opened the door to some salesman or something.

"Actually I'm here because your family wanted me to see you."

'****', I thought. They had realized I was drinking and sent someone over to intervene. I guess I will just have him come in to try and diffuse the situation later.

"Well come on in".

He stepped in and closed the door behind him. I beckoned him to follow me to the living room where I had been working. I sat down, and motioned for him to sit across from me. He sat down and took in his surroundings a bit, stopping when he came across my bottle full of vodka. A thin, yet condescending smile came across his face.

"Your family has been worried about you Mitch."

"They have?" I replied, trying to sound innocent.

"You aren't as sneaky as you think Mitch. Lauren knows you are still drinking. Your kids know something is wrong. It's not that hard to see....or smell for that matter" Mr. White said, his nose crinkling.

"It's not that bad" I said, "I do what I need to do and I still work and provide for this family." I picked up my vodka and took a few swigs.

"Your kids are scared, Mitch. Your wife is at wits end. Actually, they are coming here now."

I heard the door open and Lauren walked in. My heart started racing. Eric and Nelly were standing behind them. I checked the clock...it was now 5 pm. How did that happen? Lauren and the kids came and sat down next to Mr. White.

"I....I....I don't know what to say."

Lauren finally spoke up, "Mitch. I know you've been drinking. I just want to help you. WE just want to help you."

I started to cry. "I don't know what to do anymore...."

Lauren got up and walked over to me. "It's ok Mitch. I'm here now to help. WE all are." Why did she keep saying it like that?

As I looked at her, tears welling up in my eyes, I noticed a flicker of black in her eyes. It threw me off guard, and I looked away towards where Mr. White and my kids were sitting. But it wasn't my little Eric and Nelly anymore. Horns had grown out of their heads. They looked at me with crooked necks...ungodly smiles. I looked back at my wife, who smiled with sharp, pointy teeth.

"We are here to help you Mitch." Lauren said, smiling even wider. I got up, shaking, sweating...my heart racing, and backed away from whatever had entered my house. It was not my wife....it was not my kids. Vomit surged up my throat, and I ran for the kitchen sink. I vomited what only could have been blood...and noticed that hundreds of spiders were swimming in it. I glanced up and saw Mr. White, unnervingly calm, standing by my side.

"That is not your wife and kids, Mitch. Those are monsters...I guess you can call them your demons. And I can help you get rid of them."

"How?" I asked...quivering uncontrollably.

"With this." Mr. White held up our large kitchen knife. I grabbed it from him and just stared at it. It must have been 3 seconds though because Lauren came into the kitchen.

"Honey, are you ok?" she asked...but it wasn't her anymore. It looked like her, but her voice was deep. And her eyes...oh god her eyes were gone. Eric and Nelly stood behind her, still craning their necks and smiling. "Let us help you!" she screamed, and they all ran at me. I started stabbing and slicing at anything. All I heard were grunts and screams. I stabbed and stabbed until all I heard were my shallow breaths. Mr. White was nowhere to be found. That's about when I passed out.

I came to in the hospital. I tried to get up, but instantly noticed I had been handcuffed to the bed. IVs stuck out of my arms. I laid back....glad that it was over.

"Mitch Tyler. He is in bed 3 over there". I looked over to see a doctor speaking with a police officer.

"Is he still knocked out?" The policeman asked.

"Yes he is. Toxicology came back with no drugs or alcohol in his system, but we've been keeping him slightly sedated."

"Makes sense. Such a shame though. His wife and kids were found near his passed out body, stabbed to death. We aren't too sure why yet, but we know he was an alcoholic. It's just that the only liquid we could find in his bottles was water."

source reddit

Last edited by Dee74; 04-18-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: removed external link
Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The wife replaced his vodka bottles with water, slowly, as the day progressed, he started showing signs of withdrawal, until the end of the day - boom - full on hallucinatory dangerous psychosis.

His wife should have called an ambulance at the end of the day instead of personally intervening cuz the symptoms only intensified over the course of the day after such a prolonged period of heavily drinking and suddenly stripped. Turned him into a madman.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Got to be honest - that reads more like a Twilight Zone style writing exercise than a literal recounting to me, Caprice but I take your point about being scared by tales like that.

I definitely can remember hallucinating and seeing things and hearing things that were not there and not really having the greatest grasp on reality.

D
Old 04-18-2019, 08:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

A blackout and hallucinating is even scarier than the twilight zone. I never ever, ever, ever want to blackout, be out of control. KTB I hope you are getting help and you emerge stronger from this.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Got to be honest - that reads more like a Twilight Zone style writing exercise than a literal recounting to me, Caprice but I take your point about being scared by tales like that.

I definitely can remember hallucinating and seeing things and hearing things that were not there and not really having the greatest grasp on reality.

D
I get you. It did seem like fiction to me at first too. Very well written, but also valid.
After reading some comments from that forum, there were people saying that in their hallucinations, as they were cutting pineapples, the pineapples came to life and started chasing him. He ran off from work, scared to death.

By definition a psychosis is - an abnormal condition of the mind that results in difficulties determining what is real and what is not. Symptoms may include false beliefs (delusions) and seeing or hearing things that others do not see or hear (hallucinations).

Also, depending on which State or where you live - "the concept of "settled insanity" defense includes the delirium tremens experienced by alcoholic during alcohol withdrawal, but it excludes temporary insanity of intoxication....temporary psychosis not caused by an episode of intoxication constitutes settled insanity and qualifies as a complete defense." In other words, you can claim an insanity defense, but only during withdrawal psychosis, not while intoxicated.

There have factually been cases of this nature.

Moreover - "Acute Intoxication to Alcohol-Induced Psychotic Disorder
Called pathologic intoxication, this is an uncommon diagnosis that is believed to occur after one consumes a large amount of alcohol in one sitting. In most instances of hospitalization due to intoxication-caused psychosis, the condition ends when the body clears the alcohol out of the system. However, hospitalization is vital at this point in alcohol abuse. It is likely that the person has consumed so much alcohol that they are at risk of poisoning, which can be fatal. Signs of acute intoxication AIPD include:

Unusual aggression
Prolonged bouts of sleep
Impaired consciousness
Transient hallucinations
Delusions
Illusions
Amnesia when the condition ends"
Old 04-19-2019, 08:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This is what I was looking for, and happened to me too:

"Sometimes symptoms of psychosis can result in behaviors or actions that may place the person at risk for harm to self or others. ... Psychosis can cause a person to feel threatened by others or believe he or she is being persecuted. This may lead to fear, agitation and actions to protect themselves."
Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Reading this thread makes a person wonder why its even legal to buy, sell or drink the stuff.

There should be more commercials depicting the reality of what can happen and not just women in bikinis and men out fly fishing.

Theyre cracking down on the cigarette industry and the alcohol I guess is okay. Hmmmm.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It scares me to have realized long ago that people don't even know that alcohol withdrawal is a thing.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
I just wanted to add to my personal take of the tale, that I don't believe Mr.White (hence the name) ever existed, it was the start to the hallucinations from withdrawal.
I agree it would be most likely fictional, but with a dose of reality too.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You have to quit drinking, whatever it takes.

Most people here have heard me share I went cold turkey and why I did it and why I would do it again. On SR, we have to say "go to a dr." We also share that the vast majority of us fail with a tapering effort. Many of us (including me) were as bad off as you are.

Whatever you do - you have to stop if you want to live. That's the only way you can deal with ANYTHING and EVERYTHING else in your life.

Please do.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Really sad thing is many do not have medical insurance or financial means to get to a doctor for help. I hope KTB is in the process of her recovery and on the way to a new life. Sobriety can really be a miracle, it is possible that the boyfriend’s family may see that KTB is a great person and very strong to get help and recover.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
You have to quit drinking, whatever it takes.

Most people here have heard me share I went cold turkey and why I did it and why I would do it again. On SR, we have to say "go to a dr." We also share that the vast majority of us fail with a tapering effort. Many of us (including me) were as bad off as you are.

Whatever you do - you have to stop if you want to live. That's the only way you can deal with ANYTHING and EVERYTHING else in your life.

Please do.
95% it can be done alone, I did it myself, but there is still that 5% chance that DT's can hit you, in which you have acute psychosis and can go insane at the risk of hurting yourself or others.
I could have never anticipated to go psycho, especially when already at the hospital, it can hit you out of the blue.
If your gut instinct tells you this one's very severe, the terrors, hallucinations, and all other symptoms are above normal, no matter the cost, you must get treatment because DTs hit you unexpectedly after even 3 days.
Just be aware of the oncoming symptoms and severity because as cliché as it may seem, it can only take one time to destroy your life, or others.