Notices

Withdrawal Seizures: it can happen to you

Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal Seizures: it can happen to you

6 days ago I was on day 2 of "taking a few days off". I woke up, much like Apri posted in their post, to discover that I had suffered seizures from withdrawal. I never thought this would happen to me. I don't know all of the terminology, but I suppose years of binge drinking with taking a few days off here and there was ... kindling (?) to my current situation? It didn't occur to me to taper off, I thought my body would feel sick or shaky if I wasn't ready to take a few days off cold turkey. I felt no other withdrawal symptoms.
I just wanted to post a warning to those of you who have been binge drinking and withdrawing periodically throughout the years, it does catch up, and it is terrifying. I am glad the outcome wasn't worse, and I hate that it happened. If it hadn't happened, I probably would have been drinking again already this past weekend. Now, I'm terrified! Watching out for enablers, they've already been showing up: "you probably shouldn't have more than 2 drinks anymore"... "you should probably never drink hard alcohol again".. etc. Quieting those voices is easy now, the fear is still too strong. Praying that I can ignore the enabling advice when the memory isn't as fresh in my mind.
Thanks for reading.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I hope you are feeling a lot better now.

I'd never heard of kindling until I read about it when I first started visiting this forum. But yes, years of binging and withdrawals have a progressive effect on the body. Simply put eventually the withdrawals just get worse and the risk of having seizures increases.

Would you have been able to taper off? Many people with serious alcohol problems simply can't do it or if they do taper it's more by luck (because the person can't drink as much as the day before because they feel so ill) than judgement.

The general advice for anyone who wants to stop drinking is to seek medical advice first but that seems to be for someone who is a daily drinker and who has drank for several months or more. For those of us who binge drink and who are regularly in the drink for a few days - stop for a few days - drink for a few days etc routine I guess we take the option of taking a chance on things when we stop. Thankfully I've never had a seizure though there was one occasion where I felt like I was going to have one (my body felt like it was going in to spasms and it lasted for more than 24 hours, maybe it was a bunch of seizures, I don't know, but I never fell unconcious or anything nor did I have a fit or anything like that) but I do know of people who have had them and I just hope that it never happens to me. Not having to take the risk "the next time" by not drinking in the first place is the only way to guarantee that you'll not have a seizure.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I hope you are feeling a lot better now.

I'd never heard of kindling until I read about it when I first started visiting this forum. But yes, years of binging and withdrawals have a progressive effect on the body. Simply put eventually the withdrawals just get worse and the risk of having seizures increases.

Would you have been able to taper off? Many people with serious alcohol problems simply can't do it or if they do taper it's more by luck (because the person can't drink as much as the day before because they feel so ill) than judgement.

The general advice for anyone who wants to stop drinking is to seek medical advice first but that seems to be for someone who is a daily drinker and who has drank for several months or more. For those of us who binge drink and who are regularly in the drink for a few days - stop for a few days - drink for a few days etc routine I guess we take the option of taking a chance on things when we stop. Thankfully I've never had a seizure though there was one occasion where I felt like I was going to have one (my body felt like it was going in to spasms and it lasted for more than 24 hours, maybe it was a bunch of seizures, I don't know, but I never fell unconcious or anything nor did I have a fit or anything like that) but I do know of people who have had them and I just hope that it never happens to me. Not having to take the risk "the next time" by not drinking in the first place is the only way to guarantee that you'll not have a seizure.
I think I could have tapered, but then it would have been successful, and I would have been back to drinking after a few days, because that was my plan all along, to just take a few days off. What you are describing sounds similar to what I experienced in the past and cast off as "anxiety attacks". I now believe that they were mini-seizures. I wish you the best of luck to just not drink again and have that "next time", but if you fall, please remember my story, and get professional help with quitting again, so you don't end up with a grand mal seizure or worse.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How do you know you had a seizure? What do you recall of the episode? I had seizures many years ago but I have no memory of it. I was in the ambulance and hospital when they happened so it is in my medical records. Are you talking about grand mal seizures?
Old 04-22-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wonder if I would be likely to have one of these, never had one at all, I was a binge drinker then progressed more and longer binges, just over 4 weeks sober, glad your okay it sounds terrifying
Old 04-22-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mummyto2:

When someone drinks, it increases their seizure threshold, or the amount of abnormal brain activity necessary to induce a seizure. When they stop drinking after an extended binge, it causes a rebound effect in their seizure threshold, causing it to be lower than normal.

So it really depends on the person. But chances are if you drink for long enough and/or stop abruptly enough, it would greatly increase your risk of a seizure. I'm personally convinced I was close. I was having some extremely scary symptoms.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soupcon View Post
How do you know you had a seizure? What do you recall of the episode? I had seizures many years ago but I have no memory of it. I was in the ambulance and hospital when they happened so it is in my medical records. Are you talking about grand mal seizures?
I know I had (2) seizures, actually, because that is what they told me at the hospital. Yes, these were grand mal seizures, and the hospital paperwork lists the reason for them being withdrawal. I have no memory of the seizures at all.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
I wonder if I would be likely to have one of these, never had one at all, I was a binge drinker then progressed more and longer binges, just over 4 weeks sober, glad your okay it sounds terrifying
It was absolutely terrifying. Still is. I honestly didn't think I was "that bad" in my progression.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're OK jbhall
Old 04-23-2019, 12:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Such an awful thing, it actually reminds me of my friends mum, she drank but always hid it from professionals, then an ambulance was called and she went into hospita, no one told the doctors that she was an alcoholic and the day after she died, my friend said to me that she thinks the body went into shock, it’s blooming frightening
Old 04-23-2019, 02:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am really sorry you experienced grand mal seizures. Did the hospital recommend any follow up treatment? Have you considered AA or seeing an addiction therapist or rehab? Your situation is so serious and it seems you are surrounded by enablers. Do you have any support besides SR?
Old 04-23-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do you have any friends that don't drink or friends that are supportive of your sobriety? True friends stand by you and want you to be sober and live your best life. I went back and read your posts here from 2008. You might want to do the same. You talked about having hallucinations from alcohol withdrawal before. These seizures you just had were only a matter of time. This IS your wake-up call. I know how terrifying this has been for you because I have been there. If the urge to drink arises (as it will) replay this episode. You may not be so lucky next time.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jbhall, i couldn't agree with you more. This was a terrible thing but probably the strongest wake up call/ motivator i could get. The thought of even a glance at alcohol is so scary now. I think i will forever associate a drink with a seizure.
I always knew it was possible but not so out of the blue.
I think for us it is so much more likely to happen. I understand once you have one you are prone to more.
So happy you are ok as well.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Most of y'all know this so I'll keep it short: I went cold turkey, because I was DONE drinking and with alcohol in my body. I went thru seizures and lots more minor stuff. I'd make the same choice again - it's seared in my brain that I WILL die if I drink again. Risky? Yes. But I chose a certain death by drinking over an uncertain future. My kind of alcoholism is all or nothing so I went for it all, because I didn't want nothing - as in, death.

I'm not advocating this or telling anyone it's the right way. IMO there isn't a right way, and it's up to each person. The bottom line, however, is quitting.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am really sorry you experienced grand mal seizures. Did the hospital recommend any follow up treatment? Have you considered AA or seeing an addiction therapist or rehab? Your situation is so serious and it seems you are surrounded by enablers. Do you have any support besides SR?
The hospital did not recommend any follow up treatment. I plan to schedule an appointment soon with my regular doc and my therapist.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Does your therapist know the extent of your drinking? I know how easy it can be to minimize the drinking when you aren't sure if you want to quit. I know that was my experience at least.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Does your therapist know the extent of your drinking? I know how easy it can be to minimize the drinking when you aren't sure if you want to quit. I know that was my experience at least.
I'm not sure. I have only met with her twice over the course of about 2 years. Both times I have told her I was a heavy drinker. I plan to be very honest with her about my withdrawal seizures, I do not plan to mislead her.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jbhall View Post
I'm not sure. I have only met with her twice over the course of about 2 years. Both times I have told her I was a heavy drinker. I plan to be very honest with her about my withdrawal seizures, I do not plan to mislead her.
Glad to hear this. I had to get honest with mine for real for it to help ME. With my internist too, because of physical harm I'd done my body and had to face.

And, I'll echo the suggestion about starting a recovery-specific program. Mine is AA, others use SR, others plenty of different methods they can share. I view it as critical to have my foundation being about sobriety, and adding psych, spiritual development and education on supportive things, all the way to yoga and diet to be things to ADD on to my base.

Glad you are here.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How are you doing now, jbhall? Has the temptation to drink resumed now that you have had a little distance from your seizure and the hospital?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, jbhall. I wish you all the best on your sober journey. When I finally quit cold turkey in 2011 I had a seizure, luckily when I was already in an inpatient detox center. I was transferred to a regular hospital and spent a week hooked up to IVs before heading to rehab. It was incredible to me that I had gotten to the point where within 12 hours of quitting I was in full-blown alcoholic hallucinosis-although by then I had realized that I had to quit or die, and life had become a waking nightmare. With drinking, everything is okay until suddenly it's not, and you realize that it's true: you are well and truly hooked. Even that wasn't enough to scare me off the drink for good until a horrific drunken suicidal wreck nearly cost me my life. Now I have 3 years, 4 months of wonderful sobriety and I will never go back---sobriety rocks.